Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
those of you who have ran an ipod cable from your head unit to some place in your X, where did you put it and why? How did you route the wire?

·
on line
358 Posts
Not to hijack but... How do you get an ipod cable into the head unit?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChrisTerra said:
Not to hijack but... How do you get an ipod cable into the head unit?
I am getting an after market head unit. The cable just plugs into the back of the HU and then to the Ipod and you control the ipod from the HU

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i haven't done this yet, but i will...i just spent a LOT of money on a stereo upgrade, so an ipod cable will wait a few weeks,...

i'm going to route it down below the AC controls, out the bottom part of that center section of the dash so the ipod can sit in the tray at the front of the center consol. Another thing you could do is run it up to the tray on top of the dash...i think a few people but it in the glovebox, most aftermarket headunits allow you to control the ipod on the headunit, so touching the ipod is not necessary.

·
on line
21 Posts
I just put mine in the glovebox - the cable drops behind the unit and into the glovebox easily. It's also invisible to thieves, unlike other spots.

I wanted to do something custom through the box under the armrest, but couldn't figure out how I wanted it. My plan was to remove the power outlet and route the head of the cable through the opening, then use a rubber grommet to fill up the opening. However, I decided the outlet was nice to have - plus, I changed it to constant power so I can charge a cell phone or whatever while the X is off. But I digress...

There are tons of places/choices. And none of them is permanent.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scottb said:
I just put mine in the glovebox - the cable drops behind the unit and into the glovebox easily. It's also invisible to thieves, unlike other spots.
Did you just 'move/bend' the glove box out of the way or did you have to take the glove box off or out?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I drilled a hole into the upper glove box. Thieves are less likely to find it there.

·
on line
82 Posts
I did the same as scottb... I ran the cable into my lower glovebox. The Alpine cable is long enough to reach the center console box should I decide to go that route in the future. No cutting or drilling was required although I would recommend protecting the cable with wire loom (the black plastic corrugated stuff that covers cables) so it doesn't chave on any of the sharp metal in the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts