Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, or is there no accurate depiction of the correct location of the IPDM RELAY for a 2010 Xterra?! It seems like every diagram/drawing out there shows a Titan or Pathfinder, or refers to it as a ECM or Ignition relay!
I have yet to find a diagram that ACCURATELY matches the newer, black IPDM found in my Xterra, AND shows/labels the correct location of the IPDM relay, AND identifies it correctly by name...
I’m frustrated because I have a IPDM relay I want to swap, but don’t want to pull the wrong one... it’s going on a 4 hour search already!

Assitance, porfavor (done ranting)
Rick

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words

·
Registered
439 Posts
Trying teach a man to fish... :)
Pics are in the FSM....

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Much appreciation for the replies (and lashings!), but my question is still unanswered.

I know there are two versions of the IPDM—the older one that has 9 relays (4+5), and the newer black one that has 4 relays (3+1).
I also know the ‘ECM relay swap’ was done to keep the older IPDM functional as a precautionary measure, correct?!
And, I see this relay is identified as a ‘ECM relay’ on all older IPDM diagrams...
But on the new IPDM there is no ‘ECM relay’ identified, just an ‘Ignition relay’ label—does this mean that with the ‘new’ IPDM there is no reason or necessity to swap/upgrade since there IS no ECM relay?
Do both older and newer ‘Ignition relays’ perform the same function? Was the ‘ECM relay’ integrated into the new IPDM and therefore not removable?
The original, older relay problem was a ‘gassing’/breakdown of the soldered components; with no ‘ECM relay’ on the new IPDM, it seems like swapping is no longer necessary....

Rick

·
Registered
439 Posts
My assumption is that any removable relay that doesnt exist in the upgraded ipdm has been integrated. So the "ECM Relay" is now integrated into the IPDM. Any reference I see to the ECM Relay refers to the 2005-2009 "Removable ECM Relay"

So what relay do you want to swap, and why?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
my question is still unanswered.
Is it me, or is there no accurate depiction of the correct location of the IPDM RELAY for a 2010 Xterra?!
I didn't answer because the question didn't really make sense to me. The IPDM is a box of fuses and relays near the washer fluid tank. Old and new versions are in the same location. Beyond that needs some context. Are you wanting to replace a single relay or the whole unit? What got you on the path of wanting to replace a relay/unit? Many relays are internal and not replaceable unless you are good at de-soldering, etc...

I also know the ‘ECM relay swap’ was done to keep the older IPDM functional as a precautionary measure, correct?!
No, it would never keep a failing IPDM functional long term. It could be enough to get you home in an emergency.

And, I see this relay is identified as a ‘ECM relay’ on all older IPDM diagrams...
But on the new IPDM there is no ‘ECM relay’ identified, just an ‘Ignition relay’ label—does this mean that with the ‘new’ IPDM there is no reason or necessity to swap/upgrade since there IS no ECM relay?
Do both older and newer ‘Ignition relays’ perform the same function? Was the ‘ECM relay’ integrated into the new IPDM and therefore not removable?
The original, older relay problem was a ‘gassing’/breakdown of the soldered components; with no ‘ECM relay’ on the new IPDM, it seems like swapping is no longer necessary....

Rick
Sorry, there's just too much there for me to follow and understand. I took one apart a while ago if you want to see the relays inside. (part numbers of the internal relays are listed if you care) Thread here:
Hmmm. Look like the new website broke all the links, to pics that were hosted on this website. What a royal PITA. At least the "album" holding the pics still seems to be intact:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@IntellectualRedneck shares my suspicions regarding the newer IPDM and the older stand-alone ‘ECM relay’ that I can’t locate—it’s most likely built into the IPDM now.
My reason for the post was to swap it out preemptively, but seems that’s not necessary or possible on a 2010!

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts