Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I'm throwing this out there because one of my friends and fellow frontier owners and i just thought about it.

is there any interest in working on coming out with a re gear for 4low also what ratio would you guys want in there.

also couldnt seem to find the info but dose any one know what t-case the 05+s have

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doing a front diff might also require doing gears for the rear, or are you just looking for stronger i can talk to the guy that would be doing it

·
on line
735 Posts
My experience in the jeep world is that there is little demand for a $1000+ planetary set for a fairly weak chain driven case when you can score an Atlas 3.8 for a little more. I know at one time that 3.8's were going for $1900 brand new and I have seen an occasional unit for $1200 used.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
mike100 said:
My experience in the jeep world is that there is little demand for a $1000+ planetary set for a fairly weak chain driven case when you can score an Atlas 3.8 for a little more. I know at one time that 3.8's were going for $1900 brand new and I have seen an occasional unit for $1200 used.
Ditto.

I think the only company that would even think about it is Calmini, since they developed crawler gears for the TX-10 in the first gen X's. I called them about this several months ago and they said they have "no plans" for the 2nd gen. I'd be willing to bet that they haven't sold as many sets for 1st gen as they would have liked. Maybe it's not worth the cost/time of R&D to do it again.

The fact that Atlas has made an adapter for the Atlas II may sway them against the idea even more. We should be thankful that the boys over at Nissan Technical Services pushed for that and gave them a donor vehicle to AA to proto it.

I need to start saving up for one...

·
on line
230 Posts
I think the T/case gears need to wait until repacement rear locker and front diffs. The low gears would likely be a disaster for the flimsy diffs.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the T/C gears for the 1st Gen is around 1K. If I'm going to go that far, I'd do it right and get an Atlas and be done with it.

·
on line
564 Posts
Offroad4funn said:
What is the stock gear ratio of the transfer case? Or, What is the crawl ratio of a bone stock Xterra?

2.625:1 according to this.

Rob

·
on line
5 Posts
would the stock axles take the force an
Atlas II would put on it?

The above gear ratio is ok on trail riding, but once you are in heavy rocks or want to slowly move. getting closer to 4 to 1 would be nice....Especially if larger tires are added to the rig.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Offroad4funn said:
What are they most popular axle replacement?
Popular is a bit of a misnomer as there are only three 2nd Gen X's that have been SAS'd so far (that we know of...).

Jordan and I use:

Ford 9" from a 79-79 Bronco or F150
High Pinion D44 from the same vehicle

Boondox got his axles from a Ford F250 but I don't know what year vehicle.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Offroad4funn said:
$12-15K? Axle swap?
Nearly impossible to quantify.

If you do the job yourself, you'll need a LOT of tools and tool bits-n-parts. Personally, I wouldn't dream of doing it without (or cheap/easy access to...) a large capacity compressor, acetylene torch and a welder.

If I already had all the tools to do the job, I'd try to have at least $8K of liquidable funds available to purchase all of the build parts.

Here's my parts list:

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=30904#30904

·
on line
5 Posts
Is the front a true-trac? Or do you have both front and rear with a full detroit?

My jeep has a true-trac front, full detroit in the rear.....Add mud terrains....What fun on the ice....

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Offroad4funn said:
Is the front a true-trac? Or do you have both front and rear with a full detroit?

My jeep has a true-trac front, full detroit in the rear.....Add mud terrains....What fun on the ice....
Detroits - fore and aft

1 - 20 of 20 Posts