Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed and intermittent shudder while in Drive and stopped. AC is on so thinking it might be the compressor cycling or maybe
an issue with the neutral switch/sensor on the transmission. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the same problem and have been struggling with it for the past two years. Unfortunately, no one seems to know the answer :confused: Mine is like a rough idle that vibrates the cabin, it usually gets better when I turn off the AC. It does it when stopped in D or R.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same problem and have been struggling with it for the past two years. Unfortunately, no one seems to know the answer :confused: Mine is like a rough idle that vibrates the cabin, it usually gets better when I turn off the AC. It does it when stopped in D or R.
Have you had a mechanic check it out. I am going to see if I can see anything under the hood while idling with AC on in driveway. Maybe a loose bracket on AC compressor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has been to the stealership twice and I have shown to 4 other mechanics 😒 they all say everything is normal! I have replaced engine mount, spark plugs, belt and tensioner and cleaned the throttle body. No change!
Does it
It has been to the stealership twice and I have shown to 4 other mechanics 😒 they all say everything is normal! I have replaced engine mount, spark plugs, belt and tensioner and cleaned the throttle body. No change!
If it still occurs when AC off might b something with transmission

·
Registered
102 Posts
An intermittent shudder might be a misfire. I had a rough idle problem in my '05 for awhile and it would shudder occasionally too. I changed the spark plugs but it didn't help. It turned out my #1 cylinder coil pack was bad. I put up with a problem for quite awhile before it finally threw a misfire code that allowed me to solve the root cause of the shudder.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An intermittent shudder might be a misfire. I had a rough idle problem in my '05 for awhile and it would shudder occasionally too. I changed the spark plugs but it didn't help. It turned out my #1 cylinder coil pack was bad. I put up with a problem for quite awhile before it finally threw a misfire code that allowed me to solve the root cause of the shudder.
I think mine is AC. Turned it off and no shudder

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a 2012 Xterra Pro4X back in June that had a problem with rough idling and shuddering while stopped in drive. I took it to my local Nissan dealer. They said there was a service bulletin on this problem and made an adjustment to the computer, which stopped the shuddering. However, the idle still seemed rough. I replaced the air filter because it was quite dirty. I also cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body, which was filthy. I no longer experience shuddering and my Xterra's idle is considerably smoother. I don't know if this will work for you, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Spoke with an xterra owner that experienced a similar complaint.

His problem was noticed when the ac compressor cycled, but it turned out being a worn engine mount which was the real culprit .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts