Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
In December of last year some Idiot broke into my Truck, while I was less than 100 feet away. In the 10 seconds that the guy was in my Truck, he managed to open the Lower Glove Compartment and make off with $200 worth of Binoculars. He missed a $750 GPS in the Center Console and the Face Place for my Amateur Radio in the "Secret" Upper Glove Compartment.

This event got me to thinking of a way to secure small items in an SUV. After a bit of thinking I came up with the idea of mounting a small Light Weight Safe in the back along the Cargo Tracks. I'm still in the Engineering Phase of this Modification. I think I've got it right so far, but might plus up the size of the mounting bolts and run them all the way through the interior to the underside of the Truck. It's sturdy enough now, but there's just three medium screws holding the Cargo Mounting Channel Down. Figure it holds the fully loaded Cooler down on the trail.

So it starts out with a 1.5" wide Aluminum Flat Bar 12" long. I went with 12" as it will cover two of the Channel's mounting screws preventing someone from simply unscrewing them and pulling the whole Channel out lock, stock, and barrel.

I run a 4" bolt down from the back, place a steel washer and bolt down the length to lock the thing in place.

I used a bit of left over Light Bar 2" diameter Aluminum Pipe I had left over for a Support Collar. I need to mount the safe up about 2" so that the Cargo Cover can be removed to get to the junk down inside.

I put the Collars down in place and cut the bolt to the correct length. I want enough thread to fully seat the washer and bolt but not so much as to intrude up into the Safe's Storage.

To get the 1.5" wide Aluminum Support in place you have to pull up the three Phillips head screws that hold the Track in place. Slide the thing in place and return the screws to their holes. At this point the Support can slide back and forth freely.

Next I put the Safe down on top of the bolts sticking up. I used a Flat Edge Screwdriver to press the support up until captured by the washer and nut. Tighten the nut down with a Socket nice and tight pinching the 2" hollow pipe between the bottom of the Safe and the Cargo Track. This will prevent the Safe from sliding. The Safe came with a bit of Foam that goes in the bottom. I added a bit of felt to the top of that.

So what massive bling to put in the Safe? How about Thousands of Dollars of Cash, a .38 Special Revolver, and an Expensive Digital Camera?

No, not really. How about $40 in Emergency Cash, the Face Plate for my Amateur Radio, and my GPS?

The Cargo Cover somes out easy enough.

The Safe was like $40 from Sportsman's Guide and runs off a Battery and has a Back-up Key. The bolts and Aluminum were scrap I had laying around, but were likely worth about $6-$8, if I had to buy them. This isn't going to stop someone who has taken the Truck from getting my junk. They'll have all the time needed to cut into the Safe with an Electric Grinder. It will keep some Idiot from doing a grab and go robbery again.

·
on line
148 Posts
Looks sweet!

Only thing i can think of is it may have an opposite effect in that a sh!thead casing cars in a parking lot will see the safe and go for it knowing whatever it contains will have some value.

·
on line
807 Posts
Cool idea. I agree with Kyle though, It might attract more attention than if you didn't have it at all. I'd probably make up a plywood box and cover it in carpet that you can just put overtop of the safe to make it look like a subwoofer.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
yaa, the track system isnt really sturdy. itll bend or break easily. or just be cut out. not to say most people are smart enough to do this, so i think your safe.(no pun intended)
and is tht your camera, revolver, etc.?
or is that a stock photo?

·
on line
896 Posts
stevet47 said:
Cool idea. I agree with Kyle though, It might attract more attention than if you didn't have it at all. I'd probably make up a plywood box and cover it in carpet that you can just put overtop of the safe to make it look like a subwoofer.
also if you get it stolen and happen to have your piece in there, then that robber kills someone it will be traced back to you. Yea, I know you would be innocent, but why go through all of the hassle of someone breaking into your car PLUS thinking you're a murderer :cheers:
But like Mark was saying, go buy a used CHEAP subwoofer and cut it out to look like that's your enclosure

·
on line
707 Posts
Not a bad idea and would definitely slow a would be thief down. If you pulled the cover over it would eliminate temptation. I would think a couple minutes and a crow bar would have that out though. I know for Jeeps they make locking center consoles that are supposed to be sturdy, not sure if there is something like that for the X.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice on the covering - a towel might work well. Looks like a clump of clothes or something. Without the towel and the bright sun you have to press your face to the glass to see in the back. The safe came in a dark sliver and I painted it black. That silver part on the front is the part that is still most visible. Might stealth that out too.

I rarely park the truck in public. At work we've got a large fence, armed guards, and cameras everywhere. The mall and an occasional night out is what I worry about.

Stock photo .. yeah that's it :smurfin:

·
on line
58 Posts
that is an awesome how to. too bad about the scumbag who got your stuff - guess you couldnt get the .38 out in time... i mean... :angel8:

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Na, a simple sign on it--

-----THIS IS NOT A SAFE------

--No problemo !!

--Just keep your UNREGISTERED pistol in it --

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
384 Posts
It is definitely a step up from the glove box!

Thieves are looking for smash-and-grab situations. I realize that with enough force, someone could pull the safe out from the track but would they take the time? Think about it, they would have to climb into the back of the vehicle and apply quite a bit force to do that. You are not going to pull that thing out by leaning in and yanking on it. You are going to get some leverage on it somehow. Most thieves who steal stuff from cars never have their feet leave the pavement.

As dark as the factory tint is in the back, its going to be tough to see that back there. Add a retractable cargo cover (or just an old towel) and you are good to go. Nice job!

·
on line
254 Posts
cincinnati_xterra said:
Did your truck come with a cargo cover? If it did just pull that out and the safe in covered. Nice idea
Why is it that the simplest is usually the best? Brilliant!

Looks like hollow points in that “stock photo�. You do know use of that bullet causes excessive tissue destruction and is not recommended for edible game. Oh wait a minute… Nice call, I flip hollow base wad cutters around to do the same.

·
on line
730 Posts
Hey PaulXyZ ,

Is that a Yaesu FT-8900R face plate in one of the pictures in the safe ? If so .. how do you like it? I have a VX-6R and im thinking of making the 8900 rover rig. What antenna are you running and how did you mounted ? Thanks a lot for any info you might be able to provide.

EDIT: Doh i jsut saw your sig :)

·
on line
3,331 Posts
The only problem I see is, with the thing way in the back you may not end up using it every time. I find that stuff has to be extremely convenient for me to actually utilize it. If I was going to park for an extended time I probably would but what are the chances of me climbing in the back and throwing my faceplate in there if I am going to be in the mall for 15 minutes. You know what I am getting at? Otherwise I think it is a great idea especially for something you will leave back there, like the emergency cash. Nice mod, it looks cool too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts