Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5,000 miles few dusty roads.. Weather was nice outside, good time to check on the Micro Filters. Figure might as well shoot photo's too

Front shot

The inside filter cover

The Removel of cover, Notice the dirt grit.

This is how Filters look Inside. With Arrow Showing UP!. Can see Filter #1 & Filter #2

Filter Number 1 removed, Can clearly see Filter #2

Top View of Dirty Fliter #1

Top View #2

The Dirt, that Tapped out. YUCKY Plus Beach Sand.. Hmmm How the heck?

After blasting with Airgun.. all dust removed, but does show Either oil, or something else in the filters.

Close up shot of the filters. Nasty.. but They work, Good for next oil change, Or dusty roads.

Hope this helps folks, on removel & cleaning of Filters. Till you can afford new ones.. this is good way to stretch them out. :)

[/img]

·
on line
735 Posts
I cleaned mine once already. should be ok for another year or two.

If I had to guess, I'd say those dark oily spots are mildew from humid air conditions. You could try to disinfect the filters I suppose.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks Guy's.. Does not look like meldew, or least did not appear to be.

Living in Oregon, With lots of rain, would keep things damp. Will keep & eye on those, if keeps growing will buy new pair.. Then See if I can Nuke these & clean with soapy water for Re-use again?.

did have mice droppings inside.. dam things..

·
on line
735 Posts
I wouldn't get them wet. The automotive industry has a fogger disinfectant spray to remove odors from the air ducts and a/c evaporator core that isn't available at regular parts stores. In this case, buying new filters would cost less, but I was thinking that you could just spray some lysol and maybe leave them in the sun for awhile.

or maybe don't do anything...get a new pair when you have $25 to burn. I ordered mine when I needed oem wiper inserts and an engine air filter (saves shipping). I still have them since I felt the originals still had a year or so on them.

·
on line
750 Posts
Best option for disinfecting them..dunk them in 3% hydrogen peroxide. It won't leave a chemical residue and it will kill everything.

·
on line
807 Posts
That is actually really clean. My were much worse than that at only 15k.

·
on line
280 Posts
Glad you did this post. I completely forgot I need to do this. I'm at 35k and 1.5 years of ownership. I wonder what I'll find...

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is not bad for cost. do not have that store out west.

will check Auto zone or nappa, next time I am at the stores.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
you should clean it every 30 days..........if you think your good for 1 year, your WRONG... lots of dust and dead vegetation that made its way to your filter.

·
on line
846 Posts
i was always wondering where they were. thanks for the writeup. adding it to my to do list. if i can clean them real good, i dont see the need to replace just yet

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking at the filters, Do not see why It should matter what end is up? Both sides look the same.

If installed new, They Just re-install same way during the coarse of its life time.

Mine are due for another Air blast cleaning.. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts