Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I camp in my x constantly, built a sweet sleeping platform and have a hatch tent. Im going bonkers with the dome lights timing out. Find it very annoying to keep having to open the doors to get them back on. does anyone know how to stop the timeout? Thank you guys.

BTW: best mod ever was disconnecting the key in the ignition chime, worst sound ever! Thanks whoever posted that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand how that works. Im trying to prevent the lights from turning off when in the "on" position after 15 min or so. Once they shut off you cant turn them back on unless you open a door. The 3 way switch becomes inactive.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I worked for a valet company in college and spent the middle of my shift waiting for parties to get out so i used to do school work in my truck. I hated that the lights went out even if they were on the on position. I ended up unscrewing the little button sensor so the truck thought the door was open all the time. I just set the switch to off while driving most of the time but it was easy to reverse if needed.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So in theory, If you tapped into the Battery Saver Output line and provided power to that, You could have power to the system all the time. Doors would still work on and off. You could find the M20 plug and poke a hot wire in the back on pin 56. I'll want to verify it first with a voltage meter to make sure sending power back to the BCM could hurt it...

I have the evening to my self. Maybe Ill get bored and post my findings.

*Disclaimer* no way am I stating it WILL work. I have not tested this.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not my work but close to it. That is a set of blue sea fuse boxes linked to all sorts of goodies. Lights up the wazoo, TV screens, inverters, fridge icebox, instruments gauges, you think it it's prob on that system.
Most here are impressed with a 4-6 switch pannel. These things start at 12. Haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet! Thanks for the fast reply. Guess I will try to do this over the weekend; if your confident it wont mess anything up. Maybe Ill tackle the fog light mod at the same time.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So took some time to check this out today. To my success, The BCM has a relay that triggers 12v to the 56pin (Red wire with Yellow Strip).

There are three plugs located on the Body Control Module. The top black plug is M20 Plug. The 56pin is the bottom left most wire on this plug.

Haning out in the car with my volt meter waiting for the light to go out proved my point. It holds 12v while the light is on and the relay is cut in the BMC when the timer kicks off. You should be able to power this wire with another power wire and this should give you unlimited power on those lights. I would have this wire on a switch so you only have the lights stay on when you want, rather than forget about leaving them on later.

*disclaimer* I have not done this yet my self. Can not fully verify. These are all assumptions.

·
Registered
345 Posts
So took some time to check this out today. To my success, The BCM has a relay that triggers 12v to the 56pin (Red wire with Yellow Strip).

There are three plugs located on the Body Control Module. The top black plug is M20 Plug. The 56pin is the bottom left most wire on this plug.

Haning out in the car with my volt meter waiting for the light to go out proved my point. It holds 12v while the light is on and the relay is cut in the BMC when the timer kicks off. You should be able to power this wire with another power wire and this should give you unlimited power on those lights. I would have this wire on a switch so you only have the lights stay on when you want, rather than forget about leaving them on later.

*disclaimer* I have not done this yet my self. Can not fully verify. These are all assumptions.
Has anyone done this to confirm it (1) works and (2) it doesn't adversely affect the BCM?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
SHT's my forte. hahah. Guess something carried over from my marine days of wring up huge electrical systems in those 45ft+ boats.

You think our guys put a lot of AUX on our trucks!
now go digging through all of that trying to trace wires with everything covered in corrosionX/fluid film while standing on your head inside a 100 degree bridge enclosure after your autopilot motor takes a crap halfway into a 6+ hour crossing.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts

Just use the hot 12v going into the BCM. Run it to a switch of your location, then run it to the out line of the BCM after the relay in the BCM. Shouldn't even need to pull power from another wire.

You know, similar to what they did in the movie "Executive Decision" when they were doing that first bypass. You just won't 'cut the wire' after you bypass and you'll have a switch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts