Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is looking for something like this, the shop I work at is now offering to build these. They built one for my 2008 Xterra. Welded construction, Extremeliner coated, and removable.

Attachments

· Registered
2006 Off Road
104 Posts
Nice design! The only concern/suggestion I have is that top shelf. I would extend the front mesh grill to the roof. In a crash, or going down a steep grade off road, I wouldn't want anything flying forward into the front cabin.

· Premium Member
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
71 Posts
They said $450 for single units, (mostly due to cost of material right now). My fabricator said let him know how many you are had in mind for a group purchase, and he'd be more than happy to make a good deal.
I'd be interested if the price gets better, even though I've bought all the parts for a DIY install!

· Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Steel in photos. Manufactured aluminum tubing has sharper edges and aluminum can’t be curved like this and stay strong, but can be cast, but welds need to show for strength.
steel costs less (about half now) than aluminum. Steel is better material many times due to strength, but with enough thickness aluminum is super.

· Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
Nice design! The only concern/suggestion I have is that top shelf. I would extend the front mesh grill to the roof. In a crash, or going down a steep grade off road, I wouldn't want anything flying forward into the front cabin.
The design shown is very similar to the interior rack I've had in my Xterra for several years, although I do not have a a raised retainer in the rear, only the front and sides. The solution is not to run expanded steel to the ceiling, which would prevent occasional longer loads and impair rear visibility, but to lash one's gear down.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood

Here is a similar interior cargo shelf I built for my jeep. All gear on the shelf is lashed down tight and does not move.

Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Gas

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

1 - 12 of 12 Posts