Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been forum-lurking for a couple of months... taking in all the good information I can find.... and now, time for some advice:

On my wife's Xterra (2015 PRO-4X, ~5k miles), the dash lights associated with the stereo/navigation unit will sometimes flicker intermittently. In the several times that I've seen it happen, it is only the lights for the radio/nav buttons (not the screen itself), and never any of the other interior lights.

This weekend, on our way home from Christmas with the in-laws, I found that I was able to make it stop by twisting the dash light dimmer knob on the instrument cluster a few times.

Was wondering if anybody has experienced something similar. I did quite a bit of searching but was unable to find anything very similar. Obviously, this is a warranty issue, but due to their 'inability to replicate the complaint', I'm not getting much support on that end. All they've recommended is a 'software update' based on NTB15-011; however, I don't see how a software fix would address a mechanical issue such as this.

Thanks for reading,
Curt

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
^^^ This but I had this happen also on my 2015 with the RF system. It is like the issue where the sound just stops for no apparent reason. I found that the flicky light deal only occurs if someone holds the power button for a few seconds like to reboot the system. My girlfriend was having a hard time working it when I was in the store, came out and seen it and asked WTF. Reset the battery and never seen it again, but the 2 times it did, the power button was to blame. I would still take it to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally agree.. Don't intend on messing with it myself at this point. . It's already been to the dealer, but no action taken due to their inability to replicate the problem, since it doesn't happen all the time.

I asked my wife to take a video of it with her iPhone next time it happens,which might help.... But if anyone has seen something similar, that might save me a few more fruitless visits :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha took me a while to find it too.... It's integrated into the odometer reset button, you turn that left or right to adjust

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update in case anybody has the same issue in the future... This past Friday, after several cups of dealership coffee and chasing my son across the showroom for a couple hours, the solution proposed was:

Order and install a new head unit / nav

Estimated lead time for part: 30 days.

Will update once it goes in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update in case anybody has the same issue in the future... This past Friday, after several cups of dealership coffee and chasing my son across the showroom for a couple hours, the solution proposed was:

Order and install a new head unit / nav

Estimated lead time for part: 30 days.

Will update once it goes in.
Did your problem get resolved?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Same thing happened to mine this evening, 2015 Pro-4X with 17K miles. I will try messing with the dimmer and see if it fixes the issue otherwise stealership time, luckily I bought one of those extended warranty deals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funk-

Yes, that is the exact same issue that I had. Your video is identical to what I remember.

While turning the dimmer switch did work initially, dealer ended up replacing the whole nav unit. The replacement unit ended up being garbage, so they replaced it again several months later. Now we're on nav unit #3, haven't had any issues since (guess it's been about a year and a half now).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I totally agree.. Don't intend on messing with it myself at this point. . It's already been to the dealer, but no action taken due to their inability to replicate the problem, since it doesn't happen all the time.

I asked my wife to take a video of it with her iPhone next time it happens,which might help.... But if anyone has seen something similar, that might save me a few more fruitless visits :)
Same thing happened to mine this evening, 2015 Pro-4X with 17K miles. I will try messing with the dimmer and see if it fixes the issue otherwise stealership time, luckily I bought one of those extended warranty deals.

I have a 2014 frontier pro4x and mine was doing that on the way to work one morning. Also the mode button doesn't work sometimes. I have to restart the the to fix it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts