Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was running errands at lunch I stopped to get gas. I was showing around 60 miles to empty. It was very windy and rainy and cold so I started gassing up with the engine running and hopped back into the car to stay out of the cold...left my jacket at work.
As it was filling up, I noticed my engine RPM was falling down 250-400 RPM and then returned to normal idle. It would do it about every 15 seconds while I was gassing up. You could feel the engine bogging or shuddering, so I know this wasn't some electrical problem with my RPM gauge. Anyone ever experience this? It stopped when I replaced the gas cap. 2007 SE with around 9k miles.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
damn, i guess its just not a midwest thing. i havnt seen a single person do tht here.

·
on line
1,044 Posts
filling your tank while the car is on is dangerous and is clearly stated at all gas stations that and to not smoke

·
on line
384 Posts
Only thing I can think of on your engine sputtering is the lost of pressure in the gas tank. Most modern cars will have the "Check Engine" light come on if you leave the gas cap off. It has something to do with the fuel system needing stable pressure in the tank. If the cap is off, it prevents the fuel system from being a "closed" system. Just guessing on that though.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I've never filled any car I have owned or rented while on. I just didnt think it a wise thing to do. Just remember, when you're ignited, people wont be able to see the flames. .....

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Creek said:
i usually have 10 cigs lit whilst filling as well. no, seriously, i do smoke while i'm getting my tank filled. mind you, i'm in NJ and it's illegal for me to fill my own tank. so, it's not like i'm lighting a butt while putting the nozzle in the filler.
I couldn't believe that! When we were there last month we had to fill up like twice and everytime we were like "Wow, what weird luck that every gas station we go to it's full service!" Until later my Uncle filled us in about your crazy NJ gas law.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Creek said:
i usually have 10 cigs lit whilst filling as well. no, seriously, i do smoke while i'm getting my tank filled. mind you, i'm in NJ and it's illegal for me to fill my own tank. so, it's not like i'm lighting a butt while putting the nozzle in the filler.
I couldn't believe that! When we were there last month we had to fill up like twice and everytime we were like "Wow, what weird luck that every gas station we go to it's full service!" Until later my Uncle filled us in about your crazy NJ gas law.
NJ and Oregon are the only two states (as far as I know) that have this stupid law.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Creek said:
TXterra37 said:
Creek said:
NJ and Oregon are the only two states (as far as I know) that have this stupid law.
I did that once while I was in Oregon...the attendant freaks out when you jump out and start filling your own tank.
I would agree with Lyrex about the lack of pressure causing the problem.

·
on line
807 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
.....Just remember, when you're ignited, people wont be able to see the flames. .....
lol, that is nitromethane, not gasoline.

·
on line
750 Posts
The action of filling was likely causing cavetation/aeration of the fuel entering the lines so you were getting a little air in the system resulting in a drop in fuel pressure. Nothing to worry about..at least until you blow yourself up. lol

·
on line
3,285 Posts
In the extreme cold weather (northern US + Canada), many people will leave their vehicles running while filling the tank.

In the extreme heat (desert southwest), I have left my vehicle running while filling when I have passengers in the truck (it gets a little uncomfortable at 115 degrees F).

EDIT: I've never experienced the drop in RPM while fueling with the engine running.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts