Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was at the dealer today picking up some stuff so the parts guy and I starting talking about alternators. So I asked him the question I have been trying to answer for almost a year...what model X's have 130A alternators.

Here is what I found out.

01/05-06/05 build dates have 110A alternators

06/05-09/05 build dates have 110A alternators (different model than the one above)

09/05 + build dates have 130A alternators

Make / Model: Hitachi / LR1130-701
Nominal rating: 12V-130A
Ground polarity: Negative
Minimum revolution under no-load (When 13.5 volts is applied): 1,200 rpm
Hot output current (When 13.5 volts is applied):
More than 78A/1,800 rpm
More than 108A/2,500 rpm
More than 130A/5,000 rpm
Regulated output voltage: 14.1 - 14.7V @ 20C
Minimum length of brush: 6 mm (0.24 in)
Brush spring pressure: 1.0 - 3.432 N (0.102 - 0.3501 kg, 0.22 - 0.7715 lbs)
Slip ring minimum outer diameter: 26 mm (1.02 in)
Rotor (Field coil) resistance: 2.1 ohms
Adjustment range of power generation voltage variable control: 11.4-15.6V

Make / Model: Hitachi / LR1110-725
Nominal rating: 12V-110A
Ground polarity: Negative
Minimum revolution under no-load (When 13.5 volts is applied): 1,100 rpm
Hot output current (When 13.5 volts is applied):
More than 70A/1,800rpm
More than 91A/2,500rpm
More than 110A/5,000rpm
Regulated output voltage: 14.1 - 14.7V @ 20C
Minimum length of brush: 6 mm (0.24 in)
Brush spring pressure: 1.0 - 3.432 N (0.102 - 0.3501 kg, 0.22 - 0.7715 lbs)
Slip ring minimum outer diameter: 26 mm (1.02 in)
Rotor (Field coil) resistance: 2.1 ohms
Adjustment range of power generation voltage variable control: 11.4-15.6V

·
on line
358 Posts
Good fact finding.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't change anything as far as durability, but what it does tell us is that the 06+ X's have a kick ass alternator.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
It has the power to fulfill the electrical needs of the X while it's running without resorting to drawing on reserve battery power, even when running after-market lights, winch, etc. A weaker alternator will need to draw on supplemental battery charge from time to time (more often) because it won't be able to generate enough electricity from the engine to maintain power to lights, stereo, etc. It means longer battery life, and better ability to add aftermarket battery draws, such as a winch or an ARB fridge, for that matter.

Of course it's relative. An '06+ alternator will sometimes still need to resort to battery power if the demand is high enough. It's just the more amps, the more dependably you can harness the engine's ability to generate electricity, the alternator's job.

G

·
0 Posts
Battery or Alternator???

so MUZIKMAN, my X just out of the blue tonight won't start. Tried jumpstarting the battery but no go.. just no juice getting to the ignition. A little fyi, my X's build date was one of the early '05 models, i think April '05?? PLUS, when I kept bringing the X to dealership to fix the squealing noise coming from the tension pulley belt, they replaced the alternator less than a year ago with a 'remanufactured" one. So whats your wild guess?? Just a dead battery or a bad alternator? BTW, will be calling the dealership in the morning to see if this is covered under warranty.

·
on line
339 Posts
even with a blown alternator or bad battery, your x should at least run for a little bit after jumpstarting while the jumper cables are still attached to the other car.

did you look at the fuses? particulary the ones right by the positive battery terminal?

maybe a connection fell out somewhere? look at the alternator to battery connection, the battery ground to frame connection, and the engine block to frame/battery ground connection.

is there absolutely no power in your X? no domelight, etc?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Although, as I posted above, it will contribute to battery durability because it will lessen the need for reserve battery power as the X runs accessories.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, the alt location still sucks and if you like mud, you will toast the bearings in both the 110A and 130A.

The advantages come from what d-rap said above. More power = less strain when running accessories.

To give you an idea, the first gen alts were 80-90A. The big upgrade for them was to install an alternator out of a Quest. I think they are 110A.

·
on line
189 Posts
dis is good info

so dis means i have a good alternator since i have the 06 model..

yeaaa

1 - 19 of 19 Posts