Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing out the fluid on my "new" rear diff- it started to whine 3k after they installed it, it is quiet again. I filled it just to the fill hole and I did not jack up the rear etc.. Anyhow, if anybody is having a whiney rear, try the fluid change first. Who knows, it worked for me.....

fyi, i have 10k miles on the rear diff now and 29,000 on the truck....

:)

·
on line
264 Posts
what happened to the first one?

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first one started to whine and finally at 19k i could not take it anymore. they swapped it out. this second one started the same business but i swapped out the fluid and she is quiet as a mouse now... interesting....

·
on line
1,479 Posts
What brand of Fluid did you go with? That may be the key.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went with mobile 1 75w90 or whatever it calls for..... synthetic of course because that's what it called for...

i only filled the diff to the fill hole as the SM suggests.

·
on line
2,653 Posts
I had some whine when mine was new. Not very loud, I couldn't hear it if I was accelerating, just could hear it while maintaining speed. Then I bent my rear diff cover and had it replaced. No whine since then.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
silverflash said:
i went with mobile 1 75w90 or whatever it calls for..... synthetic of course because that's what it called for...

i only filled the diff to the fill hole as the SM suggests.
Good Deal. Thanks. I'm gunna change it when I get 3k on the new rear axle.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read somewhere on the web:

http://www.upmpg.com/lubricationnews/differential_maintenance/

That you should really change out the diff fluid at 3k miles. Why dealers/manufacturers don't do this is greek to me. I guess they figure most people won't care/complain.

I love how quiet my rear is now...

that did not come out right did it???

I just know that it made that whining noise EVERY time when i hit the gas between 65 and 75 or so. Now, nothing, whisper quiet and all I have done to the truck is change the front/rear diff fluid and xfer case fluid. When they replaced the rear diff the first time, it was as quiet as it is now. So that rules out the xfer case contributing to the noise I think..and points the finger to the rear diff....

-Bill

·
on line
28 Posts
I read something like that too and that you can double the life of your new or rebuilt diff by changing the fluid early. I changed mine at 9k and it looked nasty. The transfer case also seems to be pretty hard on fluid.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
50,000 miles and rear diff still whisper quiet. It has 21k on the "new" rear. Just changed the diff fluid and put mobile 1 synth 75-90 back in.....

·
on line
214 Posts
just be careful some of the diffs take 75-140 (m226) rear end

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my rear only take 75-90

c200

1 - 12 of 12 Posts