Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my set of Trxus M/T tires on for about a 1000 miles now so I thought I'd give a report. I went with the 255/85R16 size (I'd been running a 285/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo).

The Trxus are actually undersized, stated diameter is 32.7 whereas other 255/85s are 33.3. These are definitely slightly smaller than the half+ worn Revos I took off. I didn't get measurements before and after so I'm not sure how much height I've lost but it works out to less than 1 mph when my speedo says 60 (GPS with the Duelers would read 63+ and now I get 62/63). I doubt that I'll miss the 1/4 inch or so loss of clearance compared to the Bighorns I'd been considering.

The ride on pavement is definitely rougher but that isn't surprising at all considering the change in tread. It isn't bad enough that my wife even commented on it so it is pretty mild. They are also a bit noisier, but not as bad as I expected. These seem relatively quiet for an MT. Handling has been fine on the freeway and around town. I've also been towing a 4000 lb travel trailer and they did fine. Balance is slightly off so I'll need to get that checked, there is a slight vibration at times above 50mph.

Off-road these things were awesome. They handled mud, dirt, gravel, rocks, without any problems. I spent a couple of days wheeling around Ouray and never had any doubts about the tires. We don't get much mud in the Rockies, but what we do get tends to be gumbo (clay) and they handled it well.

IMHO these are a great looking tire with a reasonably aggressive tread. It looks way more serious than the Revo.

This isn't the best shot of the tires but you have to love the view.

Overall I think that these are a good capable off-road tire that is also suitable for DD use. Time will tell how they wear as they have a relatively soft compound. Most of my miles so far were towing or off-road so I don't know how they've affected MPG yet. I'm holding off installing an AEM intake until I've run through a couple of tanks to get a rough idea of MPG.

·
on line
463 Posts
Hey Joel !
That looks like a good alternative to the tires I've been using off-road !
I've got the super swamper LTB,,,,,,,A very aggressive tread that sucks on the pavement but, they are bulldozer tires off-road.
Needless to say, I have two sets of tires for the X.
I just spoke with Paul today regarding the Hi-Lift attachment. I believe he said it would ship in the next week or so.
Did you get yours ? How's it look ?

Oh yeah, yes, I'm terribly envious of the off-road shot. I wish we had more time when I was there. Maybe next time ?
Jim B

·
on line
1,695 Posts
kneebuster said:
I spent a couple of days wheeling around Ouray and never had any doubts about the tires. We don't get much mud in the Rockies, but what we do get tends to be gumbo (clay) and they handled it well.
Ahhh, so it was you I saw in town one morning (I think). We were just out there from August 11 to 19. Saw a nice Calmini-equipped 2nd Gen (silver) the first part of the week, then passed a nicely equipped granite X in town Friday morning (assuming that was you). What trails did you run? We did a whole bunch; spent one day with RONIN. Cinammon, Mineral Point, Engineer, Yankee Boy, Ophir, Corkscrew, Last Dollar... probably forgetting one or two. Had a great time, though... hopefully I'll get time to do a trip report.

Hope the Trxus work out for you. I bought a used set for my daily driver Silverado years ago because they were a deal. They wore out pretty quick (keep em rotated), but looked nice. They were just the wrong choice for my daily driver, but I wanted something to hold me over till I traded it in.

·
on line
807 Posts
They are awesome tires, but if they are out of balance now, get it fixed ASAP, because that is one of the biggest problems with them. My buddy has had them on his taco for something like 40k, and the only issue he has had is balance.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
prod39 said:
Oh yeah, yes, I'm terribly envious of the off-road shot. I wish we had more time when I was there. Maybe next time ?
Jim B
You were definitely doing the American plan on your last trip. You definitely need to spend more time out here next time. We could keep you busy for months.

mcampana said:
I had been seriously thinking about getting a set of those for a while now. Ill have to check in with you in another couple months to see if your opinion changes at all.
I'll update this thread after I get some more miles on them (and get them into the snow).

RockyMtnX said:
Ahhh, so it was you I saw in town one morning (I think). We were just out there from August 11 to 19. Saw a nice Calmini-equipped 2nd Gen (silver) the first part of the week, then passed a nicely equipped granite X in town Friday morning (assuming that was you). What trails did you run? We did a whole bunch; spent one day with RONIN. Cinammon, Mineral Point, Engineer, Yankee Boy, Ophir, Corkscrew, Last Dollar... probably forgetting one or two. Had a great time, though... hopefully I'll get time to do a trip report.
We got into town on the 15th and left on the 17th so it was probably me. We stayed in the campground in town and 2 sites over was the Calmini equipped X. He was asking me about the Gobi. I didn't realize RONIN was out there at the same time. We ran Corkscrew Gulch and California Gulch one day and Yankee Boy the next. I was in awe of the views from Corkscrew. I love Colorado!

stevet47 said:
They are awesome tires, but if they are out of balance now, get it fixed ASAP, because that is one of the biggest problems with them. My buddy has had them on his taco for something like 40k, and the only issue he has had is balance.
Thanks for the warning. I'll try to get in to have them rebalanced this week.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Everyone I know who have had them will never buy them again. If you get 20K miles out of them, you are lucky.

They are a great off-road tire, but not too good on-road, but then again, no swamper is.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
mcampana said:
I had been seriously thinking about getting a set of those for a while now. Ill have to check in with you in another couple months to see if your opinion changes at all.
Giving up on the BFG's?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts