Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you have an aftermarket intake and some have an exhaust system and some even have both. My question is which mod is more beneficial for the first mod. I do plan on getting both but for now i only have the funds for one of the two. Some of you say that the intake doesnt make that much of a difference and the same goes for the exhaust. Which mod gives you more power and helps out gas mileage? The intake or exhaust?

·
on line
1,114 Posts
While some might argue otherwise, the general consensus is the exhaust is worth considering foremost. The stock airbox is a pretty good unit. It's large so you can drop in a less restrictive and better quality air filter and get pretty good results. Better than current aftermarket systems? Probably not but for $50 (approx. price of a performance air filer), who cares?

As for the exhaust, your best/cheapest bet is to just buy the muffler of your choice. Then, take it to your local Goober & Gomer muffler shop and have them fab in the pipe. You'll save money over an aftermarket ehaust kit.

The stock exhaust has a crude Y pipe that you can eliminate and you'll get rid of that trash can sized muffler.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking of getting a custom exhaust system like the gibson because they have mandrel bent tubing on thier systems. Is the exhaust system loud for the X? The stock one has a nice raspy sound which i kind of like but i know the gibson is a nice unit.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
I would say exhaust. If you do it I would recommend getting the "Y" pipe replaced. It is a huge pinch point in your system. Here is a link from another post:http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1392

xterra4me said:
I just had the y-pipe collector just ahead of the muffler replaced. Here are pics of the removed stock y-pipe.

Note how the pipes are just flattened.

This is the outlet side of the pipe where it goes in the muffler. It looks very restrictive.

I spoke with a muffler shop near Round Rock Nissan. The muffler guy there said that a Nissan sales guy had sent a couple of Xterras over to have the y-pipe replaced. This guy wanted me to buy the ypipe off the net and he would charge $85 to install it.

I went to a custom exhaust shop and they removed this y-pipe and fabbed a new collector. It cost me just under $80.00.

What a difference! Even my wife noticed it. I kept the stock muffler. The performance improvement is very noticeable on the on-ramps to freeway and when passing. It's well worth the eighty bucks.

You can also find the collectors on Summit and Jegs performance sites. Four our trucks, they run about $30.
And finally here is what I did to mine (about half way down the page, and again with pics and the next page)http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1842

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! so just replacing the Y-pipe and not the entire system made a difference huh? Do you know if gibsons cat back has this collector or does it replace everything after that. im gonna check out jegs right now.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
xterra3100 said:
WOW! so just replacing the Y-pipe and not the entire system made a difference huh? Do you know if gibsons cat back has this collector or does it replace everything after that. im gonna check out jegs right now.
All of the after market "kit" exhausts are from the stock "Y" pipe back.

·
on line
735 Posts
That's great if you can retain the stock muffler with a better y pipe junction.

any pics of the new y-pipe?

maybe that and a degree of timing would yield a few horsepower without being loud...any drone or weird harmonics with the non-squished exhuast?

·
on line
1,114 Posts
I know the Flowmaster 50 I used on my 4.0L Ranger would drone a bit. It wasn't too bad but on long trips, I'd notice it and it would annoy me.

Flowmasters are known for their drone. I don't know about Magnaflow's. I don't believe they're as bad as Flowmasters. I think the Gibson's are the quietest.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so if i buy the gibson system, a new Y pipe will be be included. sorry for the ?'s but i want to take the best route. money in somewhat an issue but i want the best gains and quality for what i spend.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
The Gibson unit appears to be one of the best kits on the market for 2ND Gen Xers. It's pretty expensive. I believe the Y pipe is part of the package but don't confuse it with the Y pipe that comes stock on our trucks. If you're gonna do a Y pipe, Gibson offers a good example.

·
on line
589 Posts
I can vouch for the Gibson, I have it installed a Gibson myself and it did replace that disgusting stock Y pipe. I love the sound as well, and the power increase. The sound is definitely NOT intrusive, just a little deeper and pleasant.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay. i just went on to gibsons website and and also shrockworks website to get a better look at the underside of our X. it looks like the gibson will do the job because their system starts right after the two cats which to me, is where the Y restrictive area is. im gonna give gibson a call to ask about the collector. shrockworks gives a great underside shot of the X in the skidplate section. anyone care to post up their pics so people know what we are reffering to.

·
on line
830 Posts
JAdams said:
xterra3100 said:
All of the after market "kit" exhausts are from the stock "Y" pipe back.
No they arent. My gibson is from the cats back. New y pipe. The magnaflow is from the y-pipe back If JBA ever gets around to developing the frontier exhuast to go on the Xterra exhaust then they will also replace the y-pipe

JBA Frontier

Gibson Xterra

·
on line
1,716 Posts
mike100 said:
That's great if you can retain the stock muffler with a better y pipe junction.

any pics of the new y-pipe?

maybe that and a degree of timing would yield a few horsepower without being loud...any drone or weird harmonics with the non-squished exhuast?
Mine replaced the stock y-pipe and muffler with a dual in single out muffler. I have a single piece of pipe from each cat to the muffler.

·
on line
830 Posts
the other bad thing about just replacing the muffler or having Bubba do an exhaust for you is that your gonna still have cruish bent piping. With an aftermarket exhuast you get nice mandrel bendswhich means more and smoother exhuast flow.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
You're right about that. If I was planning to build a serious street performance rod, I would chose mandrel bends.

My stock muffler is beat to death and I'm looking to replace it with something that has a lower profile. I'm more interested in getting rid of that trash can sized muffler and the y-pipe than I am over 1-2 HP I'll lose to cheaper pipe bends. For my applicaiton, a $100 muffler and a $90 install (with pipe) by Goober and Gomers Garage beats a $400+ pre-fab system. Besides, I'm probably gonna beat the thing to death again anyhow. :blackeye:

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how does the gibsons muffler can size compare to the stock trash can sized one. im assuming its smaller and more low profile but i cant judge just by the website pics alone. for those with the gibson, care to post some pics? my brother in law has gibson SS on his 04 X and he loves it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts