Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about installing shims. I read through some of the how to's but still have some questions.

1. How difficult is it? Do i just have to unbolt the u-bolts, jack up the axle, and slip them in, replace the U-bolts? Or, Do i have to unbolt the shackles too?

2. I ordered the shims from AC. They only have a large square in the middle. It doesnt seem like there is a place for the center bolt. I am afraid things will slip around like this.

Any insight or a link to a good how- to I may have missed would be appreciated. Also a list of parts would help. So far I have the shims, need the u-bolts. Anything else? Also, some tricks or tips would be great.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You pretty much have it right, but it depends on the shim. No matter what, there is no need to remove the shackle.

Some shims (most all steel shims) you;

Remove the u-bolts.
Using two C-clamps hold the spring pack together.
Remove the center pin.
Get a new (longer) center pin.
Install the shim on the new pin, then put the pin through the spring pack.
Line up the shim and tighten the center pin.
Lowe the axle back down on the spring pack. Be sure the center pin lines up with the hole in the perch on the axle.
Install new u-bolts.
Properly torque them.

Other shims (most aluminum) do not have a hole all the way through the center. With these you;

Remove the u-bolts.
Install the shim with the center pin in the indentation on the shim.
Lower the axle back down on the spring pack. Be sure the nub on the shim lines up with the hole in the perch on the axle.
Line up the shim.
Install new u-bolts.
Properly torque them.

Steel shims are better than aluminum, even if they are more work to install (and more expensive).

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thats what I figured. A local spring shop will have the center pins correct? So what kind of time am I looking at here. Two hours? Its an 08 so the bolts arent corroded at all.

·
on line
641 Posts
If you're going to do it yourself, jack up your truck before removing the u-bolts to release the pressure from the leaf packs.

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, i just crawled under the x to install the new shims. I noticed there is a pretty good 1/8 inch gap between each leaf. Is this normal with a shackle lift? Would simply loosening the U-bolts and giving it a shake suffice. There is a bit of an angle to the drive shaft but not much.

EDIT: NM... didnt work. Looks like I will be installing the shims. What diameter are the center pins?

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a vibration from about 35-42. Unfortunatly that is my cruising speed around here because i do mostly city driving. I have the shims now i just need new u-bolts and center pins. Anyone know the specs on these?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts