Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound silly to some of you, I'm sure.

I am about to get serious into fabricating my own light bar to mount 4 KC Daylighters on the roof of my Xterra. I'm going to kind of copy off of what I've seen another forum member do (sorry man!). However, I can't help but wonder how I am going to do the needed drilling and wiring. Should I get up on top of the truck? Should I try at it from a ladder (also while trying not to scratch the paint of the truck)?

So my question is, when working on things like this that are going on the roof, how should one get to the things that are up there? Keep in mind, I'm no skinny guy. I'm 260lbs and most of that is 'soft muscle'. :naka:

Thanks!

·
on line
1,574 Posts
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7953
he ran his wires right down the windshield under the hood.

heres how MC and most of the guys do it
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1933

and as far as gettin up there, i would get a bed sheet or something similar and close it in the door, covering the vehicle. then just use a short ladder or step stool.
just be careful with your tools, not to drop or scratch any exposed paint.

as far as drilling, i believe he got new hardware that fit into the factory holes, without modifying them.

im sure someone else will tap in here in a bit, prolly with some better ideas.

but best of luck
cam

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i drilled through the roof like MC did for my driving lights and used aquarium grade silicone to seal it up, but for my backup lights i ran the wires into the hatch area like Creek did (actually i used the grommet in the center of the hatch and ran up the passenger side). There are a number of options besides drilling, they're just not the most direct route.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My biggest question wasn't about running the wires. It was more about how to get up on the roof to do the work.

One question about the wiring I had was would it be acceptable to run two, heavier gauge wires (one hot, one ground) up to the roof where the lights are mounted and join the 4 hot wires to the hot one and the 4 grounds to the ground? I'm also planning on rigging up an aditional fuse box on the inside of the kick pannel. I'm also going to be running a relay for the lights.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
lol... this might sound out there but if u have 2 ladders that are equal in height put one on each side of the truck and then put some 2 by 4s between them and there u go a home made scafolding... i just thought of this idea off the top of my head so i have no clue if it is even a possiblity... but there is my two cents...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts