Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

I'm in the middle of installing an AAL lift with shims from PRG and I have a question:
Should the axle be sitting flush against the shim? I'm at the point where the AAL and shim are added (top to bottom: axle, shim-fat side facing the engine, leaf pack), center bolt tightened down, and I lowered the axle and am about to reconnect the U bolts. I am concerned as the axle only has minimal contact with the shim; it is far from flush. I checked the center bolt head and its fit into the axle just fine. Am I missing something or this how it should look after installation?

I called PRG and left a message.

Thanks for a quick reply!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Picture would help... but it should like the your center pin is not centered. They should be flush.

.... pictures showed while I was typing. It looks to me like you didn't get the center pin in the hole. It takes a bit to get it lined up. If the center pin is in the hole, tightening the ubolts should bring it all together

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If my reading comprehension was better I would see that you checked the center pin.... I still say the ubolts will bring it all together as long as the center pin is lined up.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Alright, this noob got it figured out, haha. :withstupid:
Guessing this means you figured out that you had the shims in there facing the wrong way?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
How do you mean facing the wrong way? Fat side goes front. Is it upside down? It looks right to me.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
How do you mean facing the wrong way? Fat side goes front. Is it upside down? It looks right to me.
They're in there correctly - the axle will rotate to make the pinion rise towards the truck body...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to everyone for the help. As Lizardking was the first to point out, I needed to tighten down the ubolts. Being my first suspension lift, I was hesitant at every step, not wanting to force anything. However, as I figured out, and as PRG confirmed when they promptly returned my call, don't be afraid of the truck- whack it, hit it, crank those bolts down. Finished up the install shortly afterwards and all is good.
Expect a similar post when I put in a body lift next month :eek:ccasion5:

Happy modding!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
LOL! My bad - hard to tell from the photo which way is front vs. back. 9 times out of 10 that this happens, it's because the installer put the fat part of the shim towards the back.

Sorry if I confused the matter further!! :violent1:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Thank you to everyone for the help. As Lizardking was the first to point out, I needed to tighten down the ubolts. Being my first suspension lift, I was hesitant at every step, not wanting to force anything. However, as I figured out, and as PRG confirmed when they promptly returned my call, don't be afraid of the truck- whack it, hit it, crank those bolts down. Finished up the install shortly afterwards and all is good.
Expect a similar post when I put in a body lift next month :eek:ccasion5:

Happy modding!
And make sure you re-torque them to spec every 50-100 miles or so at least 4-5 times. U-bolts are designed as a 1 time use item and the threads stretch overtime so it is crucial you re-torque them. IIRC it's 57 lbs/ft

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, NYX! I'm putting in cam bolts tomorrow morning so I'll check them while I'm under the truck. I've decided to go ahead and order new ubolts, but until they arrive and get installed I'll keep keep an eye on the current ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts