Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

When I bought my X a few months ago, the previous owner took the roof-rack off. He didn’t keep it for whatever reason so I’m getting one from a junkyard Xterra.

The problem is that one of the bolts on the roof of my car spins. It seems like that bolt has been filed (I guess when he took the roof rack off?).

My question is, can I install the OEM just skipping that spinning bolt? I know there will be no issues skipping one, but I mean if the roof rack will fit properly on top of the spinning (and filed) bolt.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Will the new rack fit? Probably depending on which rivnut is stuck. You could probably dab some silicone around it to be safe (but likely not an issue with leaking if you haven't noticed it on the headliner already).

Best course of action is to drop the headliner and get the current rivnut un-stuck. You'll probably have to drill out the current hole because it'll mushroom on it when you get the old rivnut out. Nothing a brand new M8 rivnut won't fix. Had that happen on one of mine when I upgraded the rack and it's been working great.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You may be able to skip it I am not sure but if you do, I would seal the shit out of it with silicone so it doesn't leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I installed the OEM roof rack skipping the spinning bolt. I made sure I sealed it with silicone + added a few layers of plastic wrap inside the hole of the roof rack. On top of that, I added another layer of silicone. Hopefully, it will keep the water out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts