Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing new leaf springs on a 2000 XE V6. The leaf springs at from Husky (69-257) and ordered from Rock Auto.

However, after a day of trying to get them to fit, I finally realized that the problem is that the centre bolt on the new leaf springs is too long. The centre bolt goes into the alignment hole on the axle, but the alignment hole on the axle is only so deep. The OEM springs have a relatively shallow centre bolt, which is really just the nut with the bolt flush with the height of the nut.

The Husky springs have the hut, but then another half-inch of bolt. This prevents the springs from sitting flush with the pad on the axle.

Is it common for this to be the case? Is the solution to just take a grinder to the centre bolt on the leaf springs and cut off the excess part of the bolt that is above the nut?

I saw a few mentions online that after-market springs might have a centre bolt who's nut is bigger than the alignment hole, thus requiring that you increase the alignment hole, but I haven't seen any mention of the bolt being too long and needing to be cut down.

Thanks in advance.

2000 Xterra XE, V6
New Husky Leaf Springs 69-257
New Husky U-Bolt kit
Reusing original rear shackles.

(Note, this is not a lift kit. I'm just replacing original leaf springs with after market Husky ones for daily driving.)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Redxe.

Welcome to the forums.
This forum is rather focused on the 2nd generation of the Nissan Xterra.
Nevertheless, it's possible a forum member may have experience with the 1st gen and can assist with your question.

With this being said, you may gain more responses quicker by visiting a forum in which the community is focused on the 1st gen Xterras.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Center bolt excess should always be cut and ground flush with the top of the nut.

My question is on the head of the bolt is it round or a hex head? If it is round then the head goes into the leaf spring perch. The nut sits on top and then you cut the excess off.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
It's not going to hurt anything if it's left long, but I guess there's a very slight chance it could get hung up on a rock. Worst case scenario I can think of is if you do hit it on a rock it would bend, but big deal. That bolt isn't strong enough to tweak anything. I just replaced my rear springs and the center bolt on the old springs hung down about 3 inches, lol. I don't think the PO ever had this thing off road tho.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,029 Posts
Yes it’s common for them to be long and yes you should cut them to clear.

On most leaf packs they are under a little tension so the bolts have to be long to get the nut started then they compress a little once the nut is tightened, then you are supposed to cut off the excess threads to fit into the alignment hole.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
973 Posts
@redxe , head over to xterranation.org . It’s a 1st Gen group (and 2nd Gen too).

@d7k8 has answered you well. For further help, comradeship, giggles, and a bunch of smart folks, give em a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for help and apologies for mucking up the forums with a 1st gen question. Was just adhering to the old "measure twice, cut once" philosophy by getting confirmation before I started grinding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not going to hurt anything if it's left long, but I guess there's a very slight chance it could get hung up on a rock. Worst case scenario I can think of is if you do hit it on a rock it would bend, but big deal. That bolt isn't strong enough to tweak anything. I just replaced my rear springs and the center bolt on the old springs hung down about 3 inches, lol. I don't think the PO ever had this thing off road tho.
It can't be left long because then it won't fit into the alignment hole under the axle. The long part of the bolt is sticking out towards the sky. The leaf springs install under the rear axle, thus the long part goes into the axle. The hole on the axle's mounting plate isn't deep enough for to accommodate the excess length on the bolt. I note that the original leaf springs do not have any excess bolt protruding beyond the nut.

The head of the bolt is on the underside of the leaf springs, facing the ground, and is more-or-less flush with the leaf springs themselves so clearance isn't an issue there.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
It can't be left long because then it won't fit into the alignment hole under the axle. The long part of the bolt is sticking out towards the sky. The leaf springs install under the rear axle, thus the long part goes into the axle. The hole on the axle's mounting plate isn't deep enough for to accommodate the excess length on the bolt. I note that the original leaf springs do not have any excess bolt protruding beyond the nut.

The head of the bolt is on the underside of the leaf springs, facing the ground, and is more-or-less flush with the leaf springs themselves so clearance isn't an issue there.
It sounds like the shank just below that actual head of the pin is slightly too large to fit into the centering pin holes. Can you see how far off it is for size? If I remember correctly, with one of my leaf packs, I had to force one of the pins into the hole, but it went. I would try taking a mallet and seeing if you can get the pin to sit flush. Otherwise, you should be able find a slightly smaller pin (bolt) at a local spring company (look for someone who works on 18 wheeler trucks, or something like that).

·
Banned
1,174 Posts

Damn, you're right. The bolt I'm thinking of sticks UP, not down. Thanks for catching that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts