Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys I posted up about this in my build thread but figured I should probably post this up in here and get a little discussion going....

I recently purchase a sunglass holder for the 09 and up X's which has the bluetooth area with the mic. After getting my lights set in the right position I started looking at where I am going to install it and realized they made some big changes from the ones I found on dpatton's thread about adding the sunglass holder for an 05 to 08 model X...

Here is the front of mine after installing my light switches

Here is the copy of mine and things I have found... The front clips which are hooked to this Sunglass Holder w/ Bluetooth are the wrong direction!

I took this picture from dpatton's thread when he installed his sunglass holder which is different in a few ways... Notice the clips go horizontally

Here you can see what holes I am talking about, also I don't know what is behind the curve since mine is longer, I can feel the bracket is all...

I also noticed in dpatton's thread that sunglass holder and mechanical device for opening it are all one piece where the newer ones are two different piece that can come out!

Also because I haven't dropped my headliner and have been having a hard time searching for a pic of someones dropped don't know whats up there behind where the stock dome lights..

·
Registered
204 Posts
How hard was it to cut that plastic piece where you installed your switches without it cracking on you? I have a bunch of round toggle switches I want to install in mine.

Oh and good luck with the install

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My pleasure. I figured my anal retentive ways would come in handy for someone. ;)

·
on line
1,446 Posts
The clips should be an easy fix. Any automotive shop should have clips that would have the correct orientation to attach the console at the front. As for the rear, have you tried using a finger to see if the slots are already cut into the frame under the headliner?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
what are you going to do about the rear bracket that it clips into? i am very interested in this one...

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The clips should be an easy fix. Any automotive shop should have clips that would have the correct orientation to attach the console at the front. As for the rear, have you tried using a finger to see if the slots are already cut into the frame under the headliner?
The clips can be changed direction unless you cut them off I will get a close up tonight of them. I may just cut them off and jb weld them back in the correct direction but looking at macguyvers pics looks they are actually in closer then the standard clips.

So far the idea is try to and remove or cut away as much of that bracket as I can then take two long metal pieces to run horizontally across the bracket and four screws to hold the sunglass holder in.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I didn’t see anyone post this but you can buy the bracket that goes behind the housing from the parts counter for about $20. I will have the correct holes for the rear clips on the console

Looks like Nissan added some extra holes on the newer ones. Not only are they in the wrong direction but they are a different width apart. So just putting a different orientation clip won’t work.

This is mine

Little bit of work with a Dremel cut off wheel to make the 2 front holes and the correct bracket you should be good. Does not have to be pretty, just has to work!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Dude KUMA where did you get it thats what i want to know, I dont need the bluetooth or anything but want the sunglass holder

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ramness that is true and would work great except I made for a problem by cutting off the clips to try and make sure the sunglass holder fit in place where before it was pushing out on the roof from the clips. So my plan this weekend is to build a new bracket with some welded nuts that will be jb welded to the roof. It should work but we will see.

Joe I got it from the stealership for $117.00 bucks which I don't think it was worth it. If you could find a wrecked X with it you would be way better off!

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
So I found a sunglass holder with BT control for $50 new. But it probably won't fit in my S trim, even with some cutting. Who has a final picture with switches mounted?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts