Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
10,133 Posts
They're pretty damn bright. Did the majority of the install yesterday with XterraVT, (thanks again Dave). Ran the wiring into the Boot for the Hatch Wiring, (Upper Drivers-side). From there, in the Headliner, down the A Pillar to the Kick Panel.

As far as Mounting I used the Yakima Light Mounts. I had to buy 1" Nylon Spacers for the bolts that secure the Light Bracket to the Yak Light Mount to drop the Light down a bit. I'm quite impressed with the amount of light these things put out.

Pictures:

This next pic shows where we went into the Hatch Wiring Boot. There's a Ground right inside there - Accessible from inside the Truck;

Night time;

And, no flash, no other light - My side yard is pitch black otherwise;

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Re: Installed PIAA 1500 Backup Lights

Creek said:
From there, in the headliner, down the A pillar to the kick panel.
For the electrically (and mentally) challenged, can you explain this a little more descriptive like? How do you move the wire through the headliner and what is the A pillar? Yeah you guessed it, where is the kick panel too?

Sorry for the questions but I really like the set up. Thanks.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
The A pillar is the pillar going down the side of your front windshield, you can pop this off to find much of the wiring for the Auto-dimming rear view mirror, the over head lamps, and any other reasons to have wires running from the top of your X down the A pillar to the kick panels where many of them terminate into a electrical connector just behind the kick panel, the plastic panel that is next to your left foot when you drive your X.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, without Dave (XterraVT), i woulda been SOL. Luckily, he was there and knew what the hell was going on.

You have to take off the upper plastic piece inside the cargo area(the rear corner of the truck). Also, remove the two ceiling hooks on the drivers side in the cargo area. Then go to the side and open the doors. Remove the handle on the ceiling in the back seat area (again, drivers side). Then carefully pull down the weatherstripping on both the front and back doors. You should be able to snake the wire through with a coat hanger by CAREFULLY and GENTLY pulling on the headliner. When you get to the A pillar (the pillar between your windshield and your door), you can slightly pull back the plastic there to tuck the wire behind. I don't think I missed any steps in explaining this, but I may have.

The kick panel is basically the other side of the front fender (the part between the door and your front bumper), but inside the passenger compartment. That's where I have the relays for both the front bumper and rear top lights as well as my Bluesea aux fuse box.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TXterra37 said:
Wow, feel sorry for any future-tailgaters of yours! Do those run off a selected on/off switch or do they come on as supplemental reverse lights?

Oh yeah, and how much $$$ were those PIAA's?
Haha...I don't feel sorry for them at all!!!
The lights are connected to an on/off switch from 4x4mods. I don't remember how much I paid for the lights...somewhere around $150...cheaper than the other PIAA's I have up front, that's for sure.

·
on line
615 Posts
I'll post my setup tomorrow. Ran it through the weather stripping and under the floor and then under the rear mat and into the console and put the switch right beside the little 2 tier holder thing next to the shifter. Little easier IMO for the less vehicularly inclined.

BTW-I am digging that van in the background.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
thank you for the explanation gents. i am always up for learning something new!

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
All (4) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts