Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

I'm a little confused right now. About 6 months ago I had new Nissan leaf springs installed, both sides (so pretty new). More recently had some bilstein shocks ordered that I put on the rear. At the recommendation of other users and researching, two 24-187121 shocks. I had a hell of a time getting the rusted bolts off and installing the new ones, but once I was finished I realized that the left side (Driver's side) is way more compressed than the right side. It looks as though there is 1-2" inches of unused shock compression left over on the passenger side when compared to the driver side.

Confused, I started to measure some different things. I measured almost the same distance between the rear axle and the pump stops on both sides. The right side may have had 0.5 to 0.25 inches of extra space for travel. Second, I measured the height from the ground to the same point on the rear wheel well both left and right vehicle side - again within 0.25 to 0.5 inches, at most.

The bolt-to-bolt distance differ by about 1.25-1.5 inches. I measured approximately 15.25" on the drivers side and about 16.5" on the passenger side.

I've linked a few images to illustrate the differences. on the left, you can see that the blue grime cover is nearly fully compressed.

I think I already know the answer here, but I need reassurance on this assumption - the shocks aren't designed to be at different amounts of compression between the left/right side of the vehicle, right? I thought that perhaps they were mounted at different angles relative to vertical which might explain it, but they seem similarly angled.

Quick Edit/Update, I found another posting similar to mine and from the photos the driver's side looks a little more compressed - but it's still a bit hard to tell (see below reddit link)

https://www.reddit.com/r/XTerra/comments/8zhe7r

Thanks in advance for any advise or xterra wisdom.
My photos:

left (driver's side):

right (passenger's side):

ride heights:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I had a friend which complained of a similar problem.

Truck height measured ok side to side.

Shocks didnt look right to him.

Turned out the stickers were not placed in identical points from one shock to the next.

General info for the masses:
your rear shocks dont support your vehicle, thats the job of your springs. Your shocks reduce the oscillation in your springs .

You could have a rear shock which is bad and your measured points still appear respectful

Reactions: Captrussia253

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a friend which complained of a similar problem.

Truck height measured ok side to side.

Shocks didnt look right to him.

Turned out the stickers were not placed in identical points from one shock to the next.

General info for the masses:
your rear shocks dont support your vehicle, thats the job of your springs. Your shocks reduce the oscillation in your springs .

You could have a rear shock which is bad and your measured points still appear respectful

Thanks for the thoughts. My initial thought is that it's not a sticker misplacement issue unfortunately. I can feel by squeezing the blue shock cover that under the cover the amount of shock 'rod' that is protruding is different on both sides. My initial worry was that something with the leaf spring or shackle was broken or installed wrongly which was causing one side to compress the shocks to different heights.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One is before the axle, one is after... might not be the same distance, tbh I never noticed. Just measure the shock itself, bolt to bolt.
The shock doesn't level, it just absorbs.
Bolt to bolt is shorter on the driver side. The shocks were the exact same initial, uncompressed length. Sorry, my wording may not have been clear. I did not mean to suggest that some difference with the shock itself was causing the length differences. Understood that the shock does not support the static weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Hopefully someone with a set of Bilsteins will check their shocks and provide some feedback

·
Registered
467 Posts
So the bolt to bolt lengths are different. That explains the apparent difference in shock extension. So the real question is, are the bolt to bolt dimensions suppose to be different and if not, what is the cause. I am currently on the west coast and my X is on the east coast, otherwise I would run out and check my 08 X.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the bolt to bolt lengths are different. That explains the apparent difference in shock extension. So the real question is, are the bolt to bolt dimensions suppose to be different and if not, what is the cause. I am currently on the west coast and my X is on the east coast, otherwise I would run out and check my 08 X.
Yeah this is my thought as well. I'm also concerned about potential damage from bottoming out the shock before the bump stop can make contact with the axle. Trying to think of a clever way to figure that one out!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wondering if anyone could jump under their X and measure the shock length on each side of the rear.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Bolt to bolt is shorter on the driver side.
sounds to me that if the bolt to bolt is different from one side compared to the other, then the shorter side suspension is shot. I highly doubt that the different direction of mounting has anything to do with this. Remember that the shocks aren't marked "side specific".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been a while - does anyone have more insight? I've thought about buying new shocks to ensure that the more-compressed side does not bottom out before reaching the bump stop. I'm guessing that would be horrible stress on the system.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My two cents from reading this post. If the side to side measurements are the same but the shocks are still at different lengths then there is a problem with the shocks. Maybe they gave you two different length shocks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just measured the bolt to bolt distances for the rear shocks on my 08, no sag X. That is the distance between the bottom mounting bolt and the top mounting bolt. They are about the same at 16 inches. My ground to fender edge measures 34.5 inches. Go measure the bolt to bolt distance.

sorry - back in post #5 you said the bolt distance was shorter on one side. By how much?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just measured the bolt to bolt distances for the rear shocks on my 08, no sag X. That is the distance between the bottom mounting bolt and the top mounting bolt. They are about the same at 16 inches. My ground to fender edge measures 34.5 inches. Go measure the bolt to bolt distance.

sorry - back in post #5 you said the bolt distance was shorter on one side. By how much?
Thanks for providing the measurements. I've been away from the X all week but plan on checking both sides with a tape measure later today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts