Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed my lift today. i have had lifted trucks and i have always done an add a leaf and new shocks. I did not this time. I chose shackles.

The fronts took me a little over 2 hrs (i spent most of that time looking for air tool parts) pretty straight forward. didnt even have to disassemble the upper ball joint. just drop the sway bar, tie rod end link. the loosened the top nuts and broke the bottom shock bolt. I think Hercules assembled the left of my truck. Slide new ones in and re-assemble. Cake

The rear was a different story. 6 hours i believe it took me. Here is a huge hint to those of you thinking of installing shackles: remove the corners of your rear bumper. Very easy. if you dont, like i didnt, you wont have enough room. I did take off the left side because i rounded the upper shackle bolt. so i had to cut that off with a grinder. it sucked. another delay. also, no need to unbolt lower shock bolt, at least i didnt. By unbolting it, it made lining up the rear spring mount impossible. Assembling them is a pain in the ass too. use lots of grease on the busings. it'll help the sleeves slide thru.

after finally getting it done, i was able to drive it home. i used my buddy's garage since this is the last free time i will have for a while. i drove it down a fairly rough road and it rode great. i unfortunately did not take pictures since it was nuking snow up here in Breckenridge today. no Boil Bucket Contact and the truck sits noticibly higher. All in all pretty stoked for a budget lift!

total cost was $349 shipped for the quicklifts assembled in the front and $60 shipped for the shaackles. Will keep everyone updated on how the lift works out

·
on line
3,171 Posts
Got pics of the finished product? I installed quicklifts on Friday, loving them so far!

Sucks that you had so much trouble with the rear... You don't have to take the bumper off though. I replaced my shackles and leafs without removing the bumper and never had any problems :

See here that I've already swapped out the shackles for new ones:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey guys. Quick update. Fronts still sitting 2.25" over stock(37")Very happy. Rear is sitting only 1" over stock at 36.5". Not happy with that but I love the way the truck handles. I will be installing aal soon to get the rear up. No CBC yet . Our roads have been unusually rough the last few days due to the 50" snow that fell in the last 3 days. Very happy with the front. Will keep you updated on the rear
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you can scratch together a few more $$, skip the add-a-leaf and go with a new set of springs. It'll benefit you greatly in the long run.

Also for a couple more $$, adjustable shackles will make it easy to get your X to sit exactly the way you want it.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
If you can scratch together a few more $$, skip the add-a-leaf and go with a new set of springs. It'll benefit you greatly in the long run.
X2. That's what I did. Custom leafs from a local spring shop. They measured, I told them what I wanted and they were ready for pickup the next day.

Then you end up with this:

Or whatever height you want. Can also get more load capacity as well if you want. I opted for an extra leaf myself.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
X2. That's what I did. Custom leafs from a local spring shop. They measured, I told them what I wanted and they were ready for pickup the next day.

Then you end up with this:

Or whatever height you want. Can also get more load capacity as well if you want. I opted for an extra leaf myself.

I'd love to find a local shop to do springs like you did. It's hard finding places (around me anyways) that are willing to do custom stuff. Sure beats buying overpriced Alcans.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the brief review Drewbie!

Good to hear you're not hearing any coil bucket contact either! What dampening setting do you have the front Quicklift shocks set on? Do you have any more recent pictures of your Xterra showing the lift?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the brief review Drewbie!

Good to hear you're not hearing any coil bucket contact either! What dampening setting do you have the front Quicklift shocks set on? Do you have any more recent pictures of your Xterra showing the lift?
I'm running the dampening on 3 right now. Firmer than stock. My buddy has a 2013 pro4x and I let him drive mine n he loves it. Much better ride. Unfirtunately no pictures. I was in an accident today where someone tried to make a right turn from the left lane. Clipped the front of my truck and spun him, where I hit him again and then e straightened out and slid along the side of my truck. All in all he got a few tickets and the x is already in the shop. Pretty crappy day.

This was my first accident ever so I was shaken a bit. Hopefully the x will be good as new soon
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
3,171 Posts
I'm running the dampening on 3 right now. Firmer than stock. My buddy has a 2013 pro4x and I let him drive mine n he loves it. Much better ride. Unfirtunately no pictures. I was in an accident today where someone tried to make a right turn from the left lane. Clipped the front of my truck and spun him, where I hit him again and then e straightened out and slid along the side of my truck. All in all he got a few tickets and the x is already in the shop. Pretty crappy day.

This was my first accident ever so I was shaken a bit. Hopefully the x will be good as new soon
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow, glad to hear you're ok! Sounds like the X just got some crumpling and scratching body damage?

As for the dampening setting, I'm also running mine on 3 but I think I'll try 4 or 5 to firm it up a little. On 3, I like how the front floats over bumps, but it's a bit of a wavy ride sometimes on the front end. I'm gonna switch it to 5 next time I get to drive it.

I'd love to find a local shop to do springs like you did. It's hard finding places (around me anyways) that are willing to do custom stuff. Sure beats buying overpriced Alcans.
Yeah it wasn't that cheap, $900 for the 2 leaf packs complete. But still, I was happy to pay because I didn't have to pay for shipping Alcans, or wait for delivery. And I was able to tell them exactly what I wanted instead of being limited to options.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya I was thinking about going to 4-5 as well for highway driving. Drivi down to Denver or even over to vail on a softer truck suspension isn't always fun. The bridge joints are gnarly on I-70. Wreaks havoc on lifted trucks. The x is better than my 6" lifted ranger was though...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little update...sorry no pics yet. Got my truck back from the body shop. Looks better than before. Because there was so much damage, I look at it as I got a free set pulled outta my front fender and reprinted. Hahah

On to my lift. Looks and drives nice but had a crazy rattle. Couldn't trace it. Got tired of it and finally took it to someone yesterday. Turns out I didn't tighten my sway bar end links enough. Cost was minimal (and worth it since they checked everything I touched) and in the end the left end link was just a touch lose. It made soooooo much noise! Now quiet an rises great. Still need and aal and rear shocks. Hopefully next paycheck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys
So a little update. The quicklift loaded coilovers and some new 285/75/16 coopers got me to 36.75" in the front after settling a few months. So I threw some PRG 1/2" spacers. After some mess-ups with shipping (my end I live where everything from usps goes to my po box) and Greg fixed it an I had parts the next day. He actually shipped my order 30 mins after we spoke. After install I am at 37.5" to the frond fender well. After the first spin around the block it seems nice. A little CBC on the speed bumps outside my house. If I drive like a normal person it doesn't happen but I can force the contact to occur. Pretty stoked. Got that little bit I was missing but have stellar ride quality. Pics up soon
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey guys
So a little update. The quicklift loaded coilovers and some new 285/75/16 coopers got me to 36.75" in the front after settling a few months. So I threw some PRG 1/2" spacers. After some mess-ups with shipping (my end I live where everything from usps goes to my po box) and Greg fixed it an I had parts the next day. He actually shipped my order 30 mins after we spoke. After install I am at 37.5" to the frond fender well. After the first spin around the block it seems nice. A little CBC on the speed bumps outside my house. If I drive like a normal person it doesn't happen but I can force the contact to occur. Pretty stoked. Got that little bit I was missing but have stellar ride quality. Pics up soon
Posted via Mobile Device
Let's see some pics man! Hope you're liking your new setup!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts