Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going between getting new wheels or getting spacers for some time now. I decided to go with the pair of 1.5" spacers to be installed on the rear wheels because I don't want to get into problems with the front wheels clearance. I got these spacers from Nisstec (1.5" Wheel Spacers 6x4.5 to 6x4.5 $99)

1.Here is the original look of the rear wheel.Photos were taken with the go pro so the angles might look little funny.
[/URL]

2.AS you see all standard, mallet( to help take the wheel off if needed), metal brush( to brush all the dirt and corrosion off before you put the spacer on), lug wrench ( take off and put on wheel lugs), Another thing I don't have on the photo is the ratchet with 19mm extended socket ( I used that to tighten the lugs on the spacer)

3. Make sure you brush away as much as possible.

4.Spacer is on. As I mentioned earlier due to the angle and fish eye it looks like it is not on evenly , it is kind of hard to mess up and put it on crooked.

5. The wheel is on, it sticks out a nice amount, nothing obnoxious but it also gives more aggressive look.

6.here is the photo taken with the phone

So far I have spacers only in the rear and I must say that that on the sharp turns xterra doesn't lean to the sides as much and that makes it of a less scary ride for the passengers :) I have about 1,5 inch lift and 265/70/16 tires. I will put 265/75/16 next. I wanted to ask you , would it make sense if I stay with rear spacers only to put 285/75/16 to the rear?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I had clearance issues with mine in the front, I believe, because of the body lift. I believe three body lift put arc of the tire and wheel well at perfect level to cause hitting. If you don't have the body lift, I don't think you will have a problem with it hitting in the front at all. I'm putting a 2" spacer lift on it in Thursday and that should clear any potential for rubbing.

Sn0

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I had clearance issues with mine in the front, I believe, because of the body lift. I believe three body lift put arc of the tire and wheel well at perfect level to cause hitting. If you don't have the body lift, I don't think you will have a problem with it hitting in the front at all. I'm putting a 2" spacer lift on it in Thursday and that should clear any potential for rubbing.

Sn0
A body lift would do nothing to cause clearance issues. It would solve them. Your body lift isn't the reason you have an issue, whatever that may be.

Wheel spacers will cause clearance issues in the front. Either don't use spacers at all, or use them on all 4 wheels and trim the front fender.
I don't get why this is even a thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use them in the rear because they help out with the cornering plus after reading all the horror stories of people loosing wheels I'm afraid to have spacers on the front. Do you guys recommend using red loctite?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
yes. I use red loctite on mine.

and it's not DUMB to just put them on the rear. If you like it, then it's good. keep your opinions to yourselves.

to OP, you'll be ok to put them on the front. You shouldn't have too many issues. nothing the melt mod won't fix.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
yes. I use red loctite on mine.

and it's not DUMB to just put them on the rear. If you like it, then it's good. keep your opinions to yourselves.

to OP, you'll be ok to put them on the front. You shouldn't have too many issues. nothing the melt mod won't fix.
This whole sites about opinions. And I'll share mine just like the next guy.
Spacers are more for looks then "stability" in corners. And only doing them on the rear would/will look retarded.
Need a tissue?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I have 1.5" spacers front and rear with 265 Duratracs (see pics on my build page) and just needed a little melt mod and have had no issues for the 1.5+ yrs I've been running them.

If you put 285 tires on you might need to to a bit of trimming if you put the spacers up front but that will depend on how much contact you get, the lift might mean you don't need it, but I"m not sure.

Don't put on mis-matched tire sizes, you'll do expensive damage to the transfer case (ie. destroy it).

It's your truck, make it look how you want. Everyone has a different opinion, if we all thought the same the world would be pretty darn boring.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spacers are more for looks then "stability" in corners. And only doing them on the rear would/will look retarded.
Need a tissue?

I ran my x on 2222 in Austin which is super hilly and has a lot of sharp turns. Having those spacers definitely helps, if having spacers on the front will help as well I will consider them but if the front spacers are more for the looks then I prefer to keep my rig the way it is now.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It's your truck, make it look how you want. Everyone has a different opinion, if we all thought the same the world would be pretty darn boring.
Exactly.

I'm not saying this guy is stupid, just in my opinion I'd do all 4 wheels or not at all. But whatever, like I said, not my truck.

On the other hand, the spacers did make a HUGE improvement to the handling and ride of my truck. Any time you increase the track width of a car/truck you're going to dramatically increase the handling. I'm very happy that I added my spacers. However, I am also running 33" tires. Whether I needed to or not, I did the melt mod AND trimmed a decent amount off my fenders. Most people don't want to do that. I didn't really care. To each his/her own...

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Need a tissue?

i fail to see where he asked for ANYONE'S opinion. take your negativity elsewhere. You don't have to blow sunshine up anyone's ass, but you also don't need to **** on their work. he's just sharing what he did and giving some pointers for others who want to do it too.

having a wider track width will help with stability. that's been posted.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did around 60 miles and took the wheels off and check if the spacers are on tight. They look tight to me for now.... :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A body lift would do nothing to cause clearance issues. It would solve them. Your body lift isn't the reason you have an issue, whatever that may be.
If you don't have the setup, how can you comment about it? It absolutely DOES rub on the inner part of the fender, as several people on the forums have already stated.

T-REXterra said:
...I don't get why this is even a thread.
Why do you even comment if you have nothing productive to say? It's like you troll around the forums just to post up about other people. Is you life that pathetic that you have nothing better to do?

T-REXterra said:
This is a thread because someone wanted an opinion, not to be put down for trying something different that he may or may not like. Don't be d!ck.

OP,
If you do go with front spacers, I would stick with no more than 1" unless you want to have to dent back your inner fender well; it's nothing that anyone will see because it's on the inside, lower towards the cab of the Xterra.

Sn0

1 - 20 of 47 Posts