Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize most people on this board either use K&N or Volant but anyone use the Injen Power Flow Intake? How was the install, sound, throttle response, etc. One downside I see with this setup is the downtube as it doesn't have that "straight thru" design of the KN FIPK 57 and Volant. HOWEVER I do like the AMSOIL dry filter and the enclosed box.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have one. It's not exactly a closed box but it's pretty close. AMSOIL no longer makes the dryflow filter but they can still be purchased from INJEN directly.

Never really heard sound out of an intake. Cannot comment specifically on the imporovements of the CAI itself as I added mine after I went throught a K&N and Volant and had headers and true duals installed. It's one piece of the puzzle.

Install... Couldn't be simpler. Takes longer to get the stock one out then it does to install the INJEN. I love mine. See my build thread. Somewhere in there are links to the exhaust and intake thread(s) I have on CF.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you give your thoughts on comparing this Injen CAI vs the K&N and Volant? Why did you switch from the 1st two to this kit? Pros and Cons of this versus the previous 2?

·
on line
504 Posts
Yes I'd like to know your comparison of both as well. I went from stock, to Airraid, to my new Volant I just installed yesterday.

I know I picked up more throttle response and seems like torque with the Volant. The Airraid was sucking in hot air under the hood though. IT basically was like tossing a 3" cone filter on the end of the stock tube.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sorry for the delay... I will try to be as unbiased here as I can...

First I had the K&N. I got a good deal on it used, bought an AEM dryflow filter and put it in the truck prior to my exhaust work being done. Install was simple, sound was good and performance seemed good. I had no complaints at all with it. Because it was open and the heat shields were removed to put in the headers I got more lifter and general engine noise so I wanted to go to a closed box in hopes it would limit that.

So...

My girlfriend bought me the Volant. Install was ridiculous. There aren't really instructions, only one bolt hole lined up, horn relocation (per the way Volant would have you do it) was idiotic to say the least. It performed fine and sounded good, but it was so poorly made (and with the powerflow filter it threw the CEL so I put the AEM back in and it was fine) I couldn't tolerate it and tore it out and sold it.

Then I got the INJEN after reading the reviews. Everyone seemed to like it so that's what I went with. Got the dryflow filter, had the Volant ripped out and INJEN in the truck in 20 mins. Have never had an issue with it and since I added a tube to the end of the box to draw cool air from the fendor well (and removed the plastic inner fenders and made some new aluminum covers to keep crap from the tube) I'm running IAT 7-8 degrees over ambient. That's as cool if not a degree or two cooler than I ever got with the Volant.

The only drawback to the INJEN is it's not a fully closed box, so water crossings are hazardous and one must be careful. Other than that, in my opinion, best intake they make for this engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts