Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
OK people another ShrockWorks Bumper went on in MC's Shop and a chance for more pictures and more detail look for a total re-write with answers to ? asked in the past. No time now but this is a teaser.....

As a result of Ohio's 1st Xterra Install Party staring;
Jeff (MC's Nephew you may know from ECXC)
Dan, AKA Turtle, (The Yellow X,)
Mark, AKA MCampana with The Black X
MC AKA usmc xterra with the Silver X in driveway that is all done? LOL

Before Look at the Plastic Bumper. Turtles X .. Jeff my Nephew pictured.
I think he is undisputed most experienced ShrockWorks installer east of Mississippi. This guy knows his stuff, or he just remembers it? Notice in MC's Shop we work on carpet.

We always wonder about the weight, well, just to let you know after a weigh-in of all we took off and all we put on, it came out a lot closer than anyone estimated, we 'estimated' with a Postal Shipping Scale and 3 witnesses so, don't dispute my findings. Scale is dead on, my wife uses it to ship eBay.

Here we go, now remember, don't make up your mind just yet but stay tuned I will add more weights later, I been up all day doing mods and I am too beat to do a bunch of uploads.

1st lets weigh the part of the FACTORY Bumper that protects you, your family and your pets in an accident. It's this:
Jeff is pointing to the part installed, yea, that's all;

And this is that part on the scale. Now keep in mind, no side protection from this, whatever comes at you from the frame outboard, goes directly to the tire, no support at the top or bottom, or sides, No hoops to catch that deer, it's got a straight shot at your windshield, not my Idea of how I like to eat deer meat.

And this is what it hides behind all that massive bumper you think you have, all I can say is if you see it coming, hit it dead on for the most protection with the factory set up.

The factory SINGLE recovery Hook comes off.

And this ShrockWorks Skid for factory bumper comes off but gets replaced with skid of equal weight. Ahhh, Rustoleum paint is great, but in salty climates use a cleaner, Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and follow by Rustoleum Paint. But this skid held up great, far better than a factory skid.

And, this is the meat and safety of a ShrockWorks Bumper. It's massive, it's deflective, it's got coverage in front of your tires, (Yea I like to keep my steering components in an accident so if I want to steer). It's bolted top, bottom and beefy! The hoops can deflect a deer I am sure, the coverage extends outboard to the body panels, the factory bumper shorts you about 3 feet of frontal coverage. You do the math but include the protection and recovery points you get. It's way worth it.

After, Now go back and look at the before and don't forget the picture of Jeff pointing to the factory bumper, can you see it?

Look at that! Pure steel and sex appeal!
This guy looks happy about his install, he can't wait to get home and pick up his bride!

We did weigh all the parts, Bolts, nuts, brackets, everything we took off, everything we put on, stay tuned and see how it finally stacks up. This install is on Turtles X and he measured before and after on level cement after install it dropped him only 1/2 of an inch so now you have that. (He runs PRG Coil Overs.) Turtle makes history in MC's shop with this clever add on (The shackle) idea of the MC ratchet strap SrockWorks Bumper holder and lift.

And this is the MC patented way to lift, and hold the bumper, The strap is a 2" ratchet strap with the Turtle connector added, you just ratchet until it's close, Jockey it into position and tighten as you see Jeff and Turtle do here, worry free of face full of bumper. (Unless that beam gives way! LOL) Two 1" straps will do. Yea? MC has beefy tools to install Beefy Bumpers!

I am going to re do my front bumper install with all the weights, more pictures and detain on the low down on the bumper saver with measurements and step by step pictures.

A sneak peak of the MC patented bumper saver (The 1x1x36"long aluminum angle that prevents cutting old bumper so you can sell and offset the cost of your Shrockworks bumper. What it does it duplicate the top of the bumper, it is held to body cross member by the round push pin clips you clearly see, and the bottom of the grille has clips not so clearly seen that just clip into slots cut in the other surface of the angle. Presto! Sell your bumper or put it back on someday! If your bumper is crap, go ahead and cut it!

You CAN clearly see Turtle crafting his MC Bumper saver here and clearly see the slots the bottom of grill clips into.

I do stress, this angle needs to be 36 inches long. It was like $7 at a chain lumber store. Takes about 45 minutes to make it. 30 min if you took just drank a 5 hour energy drink!

Here is the MC Bumper saver clipped to the bottom of the grille and ready to install. I think you get the idea now eh? We have step by step pictures of this.

As you can see, my new Bumper install how to is going to really be much more than the 1st.
MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea stay tuned, It will take days but we will have the mother of all front bumper threads soon. Thanks for looking, (That's what keeps me going) and yea the garage is kind huge, but in that picture, you can't see the 8X48 ft climate controlled tool room! LOL All under construction, If I don't quit working on cars I'll never get it, or the house done! "I've got everything.....I just can't find it all! Ha ha! MC

·
on line
237 Posts
USMC...great write up!!! But you are heading yourself down a dangerous path. Every write up you gets a little better, to continute out do yourself you are going to need to film/edit video pretty soon. Can you expect a local Ohio TV station to be broadcasting "MC's X-Garage" soon. :geek:

Thanks for the write up! When I finally talk the better half into a front bumper, it should be a piece of cake to install.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Van X, now that was some funny axx stuff right there!

But what I want is a Daisy Duke type mischievous cheerleader looking 20 something year old to pose for fake install pictures while we walk through it, That way I can actually get a web site and charge... LOL Maybe have it interactive? "Let me see her check that rear diff again!" CTRL B! Be like The www.Maxim NewX.Org . I think I could get into trouble with that.

I must say though that the How to's people do are pretty interrupting, things happen so fast and it really takes special thought and consideration to stop and snap, pose and put together a post. SO we can all just bow our heads and thanks all those who take the time to fill us in on experiences, the good, bad, ugly, and successful. We have a lot of how to's to be thankful for and pictures galore. Special thanks to those who post screw ups so we don't copy them, THAT takes guts! While I am on the soap box, thanks to all who add detail to How to's especially mine, everyone see's thing different, but combined we'll miss nothing!
Long live thenewx.org! MC

·
on line
237 Posts
" I want is a Daisy Duke type mischievous cheerleader looking 20 something year old to pose for fake install pictures while we walk through it"

...you are not alone my friend....not alone :bounce:

Cheers,

·
on line
11 Posts
When I did my install of schrock front bumper and skid (replaced factory skid not schrock my net increase per a truck scale was 180lb... figuring 130ish for the the bumper, 30ish for the skid, then nuts bolts, etc. we're within 10-15lbs of eachother. I used ratcheting rope winches from my ceiling to suspend the bumper for install very much like you did.
I lost more than 1/2 inch and have some dive and bob with factory bilsteins. My CV joints are angled a few degrees up after the install.
I am holding off on a winch until I correct the above.

·
on line
237 Posts
mcampana said:
When i do my instal of my shrock skids, sliders, and front and rear bumpers,,,,,,,ill do my best to get one of my hot ass gals i know to pose in the how to photos...........
Don't forget the Daisy dukes....

·
on line
237 Posts
Surely you're not trying to upload directly to the site? Using photobucket? Perhaps MC needs to write a how-to for you for this :geek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts