Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KP Technologies has an independent fog light controller module for $44.99. So far, it has only been confirmed on the G35. Maybe someone can be the guinea pig and post-up a how to (*cough* dragonplayboy).

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Nice find, *Cough* He's busy with LED lights, it's your turn! Buy it and try it! It's not that hard to do really. I haven't because in my state driving like that will get you pulled over so there is no point. But, if I wanted to do it, All you have to do is find the fog light relay and move one wire to a "Ignition on" source wire. This wire would be the one that gets power when the headlamps are turned on low beam. When you go high beam it will shut off. Moving that to Ing. On power source will give you power to the fog light switch anytime the ING. is on and light the lights alone, or with hi or low beams. Save the $44. because that is all that is doing. MC

·
on line
134 Posts
Why is it that your not supposed to run around with fogs and brights on at the same time? Try as I might I can't think of a good reason that the fogs have to be off when the high beams come on.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, Mostly I guess because your fog lights are for fog, in that case your brights won't do you any good, may even make seeing in fog worse. Plus, they don't want you to melt the tail lights of the guy in front of you. I agree that you could see better with the combo, but heck man, so many people blind people even how it is now. Personally I can't stand it when people use the fog lights when they don't need em. Professional drivers have a saying, "Put on your FOG lights for *** Rights." But some people sneak through the eye examination part of the drivers test and get a DL even though they are blind and need all that light. I good set of legal lights is more than enough. Besides, average Joe that has mega lights only looks like 15 to 25 feet beyond the hood at 55 mph. So why light up the next 1/2 mile? But real good reason so many people use fog lights in clear visability, because they are only looking 25 feet, where the fog lights are lighting best. They should really be scanning from like 100 ft to 300 ft. and have no need for fog lights unless there really was fog, and in that case they should only be used to next safe place to stop and wait for clear weather. Pile up mean anything? So much for an ideal world. I know what happens, I drive over 150K 150.000 miles a year.
MC

·
on line
134 Posts
Well that’s my point. If you’re using your high beams incorrectly you’re already blinding other drivers. The little lights aimed low and wide add very little to this effect. But in cases where high beams are acceptable, why not use the "fogs" as well to light up the area directly in front of the vehicle as well as add peripheral visibility. I use the term "fog lights" loosely here. Since they are white lights they are obviously little use in true foggy conditions. More of a driving light really though would be handy in some cases to be able to turn the headlights off and just run the lower mounted lights. Case in point, anyone who's driven through a heavy snow storm would appreciate not having deal with the Star Wars (Star Trek perhaps?) effect which this option could help with. Either way, West of the Mississippi where the traffic turns non-existent at times I like to put as much light on the hwy as I can. Personal preference I suppose but even so I'm one who will most likely do a mod such as this.

Really not such an issue in the X with the SS Ultras in now but with vehicles like our 300M (non-HID) the lights suck. Just overall poor design by our friends at DC. You can almost see better with the low beams and "fogs" than with the high beams. They project out but don’t put much light on the road where it would be useful.

Starting to ramble now, sorry. Just thinking with my fingers...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I'm not looking for it, but they did a study and determined that amber or yellow, made no difference in visibility in fog. The study was by DOT or some govt org. If ya can't see, you can't be seen (Most likely) and are driving too fast in adverse conditions, you can get cited for that if there was an accident. Pile up mean anything? If it is a law you can't burn both at same time, I could bet a panel of people who know a lot more than me all hashed it out and decided to pass it. I know when I was young and dumb, I ran some fog lights alone, I got pulled over just for that and by time he was done I had 3 tickets. So, I kinda try not to draw attention.

Ever use a scanner like a BC10 or 12 and listen to the Police use "Bear in the air" Or a multi police trap? They always go for the cars with an equip violation too, like "The one with he fog lights on" The one with the red or blue lights on the wipers." or "The one with the blacked out lights." That way they have you speeding AND on the equipment violation, they give you a warning on that and you gladly pay he ticket. Real world stuff. I have over a million miles of driving listening to a BC 10 or 12. So I am pretty up on what they go for.

You can do anything, but they can stop you for anything you can do if it is not permitted.

As far as the device they sell, I would about be sure it is marketed for off road use only. Or "Check local and state laws". If it is not, it will be once someone gets busy on it. My uncle was inventor and manufacture of a device called a test tube that replaced the catalytic converter. Took a few years but the EPA and FMVA put him out of business and anyone who bought the device from him. Ugly stuff. MC

·
on line
237 Posts
BioMan said:
Why is it that your not supposed to run around with fogs and brights on at the same time? Try as I might I can't think of a good reason that the fogs have to be off when the high beams come on.
In Canada...well BC anyways...the MVA states that fog lights can only be on with low beams and that driving lights can only be on with high beams. However, in some autos (2000 Sunfire for example) changing fog lights to driving light is as simple as changing the bulb. The lights are supposed to be relayed into the corresponding switches. While I have no real desire to screw with my factory fog lights, my driving lights are hard wired so they go on whenever I want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts