Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered the AVS in channel window visors for $51 shipped with coupon. Installed easy had to add tape to rear edge of rear visors. Let sit for three days or so. Front windows rolled up fine. Rear windows still hit the vent visor. The vent visors are HUGE! and block outward vision. On a vehicle with small windows like the X I didnt like it. That and the hitting issue caused me to send them back. If you have your seat at max height they will block your view unless you are short. If they were half as long they might be good for leaving the window cracked in summer.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Have you looked at the WeatherTech ones? I've had them for 3 years and they are fine.

In hindsight I would have gotten 'light smoke' for the color. Any vent visor is going to block your vision a little bit. The darker the tint, being harder to see through. I think light smoke would have improved them. But all in all I'm fine with them. I'm a tall guy and have an 'X' trim Xterra so the seat height is not adjustable and I am fine with the weathertech ones.

By contrast though my wife is not a fan of them when she drives the truck. They do take a little bit to get used to. I go back and forth on pulling them out. The only good uses I have found for them is cracking the window in a parking lot or when its raining.

Oh, and it takes a few days of up/down for the visor to conform to the window, then its normal operation.

I was going to sell mine, should you be interested in the weathertech ones.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I could have gotten used to them and if I found shorter ones I'd give it a go again. I have the seat as high as it goes and they were at eye level on the side. Just wasnt for me I guess. If I ever buy a full size pickup or van I might try again. I mainly wanted to be able to leave windows cracked in the heat . I know people love the weathertechs but their products cost too much and I cant see them being substancialy better than other brands
EGR supposedly makes a slimline version but I'd have to see them in person
Thanks for the reply

Have you looked at the WeatherTech ones? I've had them for 3 years and they are fine.

In hindsight I would have gotten 'light smoke' for the color. Any vent visor is going to block your vision a little bit. The darker the tint, being harder to see through. I think light smoke would have improved them. But all in all I'm fine with them. I'm a tall guy and have an 'X' trim Xterra so the seat height is not adjustable and I am fine with the weathertech ones.

By contrast though my wife is not a fan of them when she drives the truck. They do take a little bit to get used to. I go back and forth on pulling them out. The only good uses I have found for them is cracking the window in a parking lot or when its raining.

Oh, and it takes a few days of up/down for the visor to conform to the window, then its normal operation.

I was going to sell mine, should you be interested in the weathertech ones.

·
on line
504 Posts
I had the Wade in channel ones. I hated them and traded them I now have the Ventvisors that's tape on the outside. Much better. My windows struggled with them in there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the AVS because I had no complaints with it before on my previous trucks, but I might get the Weathertech after reading this thread.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
I know people love the weathertechs but their products cost too much and I cant see them being substancialy better than other brands
I'm able to actually comment on this. My Xterra is now on its 3rd brand of visors. I had AVS first. After those broke in an accident, I got Wade. They were flimsy as hell and broke within a month, from my dog pushing against it. I'm now on set #3; Weathertech. These have been by far the most well built set, they are substantially higher quality.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supposedly AVS has a lifetime warranty. Contact them and they send a new one. My issue was the loss of visibility and the interference with rear windows. Fronts were fine rolling up I just couldnt see out. I dont doubt Weathertech products are good quality but with all the TV and print ads they run they need to recoup the cost of those adds in the product. My Nissan all weather mats and my Kia all weather mats and my previous Subaru all weather mats did the job for far less than Weathertechs. As for bug deflectors I've had oem (subaru and Kis) and AVS and they all hold up fine. The AVS for the Xterra was the toughest install - tape to install? Get real

I'm able to actually comment on this. My Xterra is now on its 3rd brand of visors. I had AVS first. After those broke in an accident, I got Wade. They were flimsy as hell and broke within a month, from my dog pushing against it. I'm now on set #3; Weathertech. These have been by far the most well built set, they are substantially higher quality.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Supposedly AVS has a lifetime warranty. Contact them and they send a new one. My issue was the loss of visibility and the interference with rear windows. Fronts were fine rolling up I just couldnt see out. I dont doubt Weathertech products are good quality but with all the TV and print ads they run they need to recoup the cost of those adds in the product. My Nissan all weather mats and my Kia all weather mats and my previous Subaru all weather mats did the job for far less than Weathertechs. As for bug deflectors I've had oem (subaru and Kis) and AVS and they all hold up fine. The AVS for the Xterra was the toughest install - tape to install? Had to purchase screws

·
Registered
277 Posts
The rears mount differently then the front AVS visors, you have to separate the weather stripping from the door pillar and stick the rearmost section of the visor in there. If you just put them in the channel the window will hit every time. I made the same mistake until I read the directions.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I had no issues installing mine. I was afraid I was going to break them but the install was pretty simple.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didnt see that in the directions. Anyway, they were returned and I received credit for them so I doubt I will bother with them again. The view blocking was the real deal breaker.

The rears mount differently then the front AVS visors, you have to separate the weather stripping from the door pillar and stick the rearmost section of the visor in there. If you just put them in the channel the window will hit every time. I made the same mistake until I read the directions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts