Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone says anything, yes, I'm aware of the fact the Xterra was not designed for a smooth ride. With that said, I don't mind the fact it's a stiff ride, but rather the super bouncy nature of it.

What are my options? I did some searching, but most people weren't looking at this the same way I am. We want to keep the X as it's super functional and will last forever, but don't love the way our baby's head sometimes bounces along with the vehicle.

Thanks!

·
on line
358 Posts
Bilsteins

·
on line
358 Posts

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Lots of sources for the Bilsteins, since they come stock on the OR edition.

But a few more questions: How heavily do you typically load your X? What psi are your tires at? Is this a problem on almost all roads, or just the worst?

The more info you can give, the more help we can be. The X, stock, even without the Bils, is actually a pretty smooth-riding SUV, even remarkably so. It will never be a Lincoln Towncar (although you already knew that!).
That's why I'm wondering if there's something that could be easily changed to help with your problem. Start with making sure all your tires are at 35 psi. cold. Forget about the max pressure number on the sidewall.

But shocks are what stop (dampen) bouncing, that's their job. So better shocks will always be a good move, although really heavy-duty shocks can contribute to some stiffening, since on an X the fronts would be coilovers, and the springs would almost certainly be stiffer (my situation).

·
on line
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very little load other than passengers. It's bouncier than we'd like on almost any roads, but obviously the bumpier the worse it is. Tired are around 33-35 PSI depending on how recently I've filled 'em. Check every 6-8 weeks typically.

I probably will need new tires fairly soon, so I may look for a more road oriented tire. This vehicle is a pavement crawler, definitely not used for off roading.

As for comparing to other SUV's, my in-laws Durango has a much smoother overall ride...obviously a completely different platform and design intent, but if I can tone down the bouncing and rough ride even some it would be a worth investment at this point.

The other option is to give the wife my Charger Daytona R/T, and hell has not yet frozen over for that to happen. :)

·
on line
63 Posts
I'm having the same problem in my stock S, very bouncy ride, not so bad with just me in the truck but with 4 adults including myself, the rear of the truck bottoms out ALOT. Subscribing to this thread as I'd also like to see some possible solutions. I check about every 2 weeks keep tire psi at 35.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
ColdAudio said:
I'm having the same problem in my stock S, very bouncy ride, not so bad with just me in the truck but with 4 adults including myself, the rear of the truck bottoms out ALOT. Subscribing to this thread as I'd also like to see some possible solutions. I check about every 2 weeks keep tire psi at 35.
Honestly, you're gonna want to end up buying some better suspension components, no two ways about it. Timbrens have helped a lot for some in the rear, but the only thorough solution to the problem is going to involve shocks and maybe springs at some point. And there's some fantastic stuff available these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts