Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was a last minute decision to go camping. The girlfriend and I were having a bit of a spat, and out of nowhere we decided that maybe we should just "get-away" together and work out our problems with some quality alone time away from everything and everyone else. Thus the trip was planned in a hastily 10 minutes or so at around 3:30pm. She left to go home and get her stuff together (clothes and such) while I stayed at my house to pack up the X and the dog.

About 30 minutes later, I was packed and on my way to her. Picked her up and hit the road. The initial plan was to go to Old Dale mining district and take the road in and find a place to camp in the X, under the nearly full moon. Well, I had never been there, and I wanted options, just in case, so I headed in a familiar direction.. Joshua Tree via 29 Palms.. As we neared 29 Palms I decided that going to a totally unfamiliar location, in the middle of the night was probably not the best idea out there, so I pulled into Joshua Tree thinking that we could just camp in one of the more remote camping sights there. No luck, Joshua Tree was packed and all campsites were at capacity... No room for us.

So I checked the map and decided that Old Dale was just as far from where we were, as another site I used to always go to in the past. I decided that I would head to my old stomping grounds instead of somewhere new, considering it was now creeping up on midnight, and I had another 60 miles to go.

When I hit Old Rte. 66, I felt calm and relaxed. The girlfriend now fast asleep for about an hour now at this point, but at least I knew what to expect from our destination. I couldn't wait to just get there and set up camp and relax from the drive.

Finally pulled into camp, nobody around. Just the way I like it. I woke the girlfriend up and started unpacking the X, so I could relax for a bit before hitting the sack. It was nice to be able to enjoy a real nights sky, and I realized once again, just how much I hate living in the city.

Got the little mutts bed together and decided it was time to hit the sack ourselves.

Untitled by SVThuh, on Flickr

Woke up just before sunrise to see this spectacular view.. What a beautiful place the desert can be.

Got up an hour or so later and started cooking some breakfast. Bacon, ground turkey, onion and scrambled egg burritos. Can we say "delicious"?

Heres some of the scenery from our camp..

This was also the first time the pup has been on an overnight camping trip. Sadie is a 6 month old Black Lab mix and was having fun exploring off leash for the first time ever. She was a good dog and always came straight back to me when called.

I also went exploring a bit to show the girlfriend around some of the Marble Mountains. There is a lot of shale in these mountains and you can do some cool trilobite hunting. Good fossils abound if your willing to do your part. We just drove around and got out and did short walks though.

On our way out I decided to stop off at Amboy crater as well. Its a pretty neat site. You don't come across many volcanic craters in California. On our way there, we saw a couple of pretty interesting sites..

Trains..

Statues.. There are two actually. One male and one female. Someone even started a Facebook group on these recently https://www.facebook.com/Guardiansofrte66

We decided to stop at each one and sign the log books. Pretty neat.

Marble mtns 1/18/14 by SVThuh, on Flickr

Female

Male

And the selfie of girl and I

We also made a pit stop at Roys.. Always have to stop in and grab a soda from here, no matter what.

Then off to Amboy. Its just a big mound of black rock, but I appreciate it for what it is. My boy scout troop originally brought me here, and I have climbed up and inside of it in the past (allowed), but anymore I just like stopping off and looking at it on my way past.

After Amboy, I stopped to fuel up in Ludlow, then head on out to Rancho Cucamonga, and hit up the Bass Pro shops that is there. I needed some reloading stuff, and I had some gift cards from christmas, so it was perfect timing. Then hit the road and headed home.. But not before grabbing a bite to eat at Slaters 50/50... Can we say "HOLY HEART ATTACK" Im not going to go into detail, suffice it to say that they have burgers that are 50% ground beef, 50% bacon.. FanFreakingTasticallyDelicious!!! We also had a maple bacon milkshake.. Yum!!

Hope you enjoyed the post and the photos.. Sorry for the quality. All photos were taken with an iPhone5s..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, the spat is for the most part pretty much resolved at this time. I guess sometimes all it takes is a little bit of alone time to really put everything into perspective.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maple Bacon milkshake was amazing..

That actually is an understatement.. It was easily the best milkshake I have ever had!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Thanks guys, the spat is for the most part pretty much resolved at this time. I guess sometimes all it takes is a little bit of alone time to really put everything into perspective.
Dragging her out to the desert and threatening to leave her out there sure puts things into perspective. Hehehe ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts