Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i brought my car in to get worked on and they decided because there was mud under the car and under the hood that it was recklase and they voided my warrenty when i even payed for the 7 year extended warrenty so im pretty pissed at nissan and wish i still had my jeep now what do you all think?

i just need some opinions

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Honestly...

Fight it. I don't think just because there is mud they can void the warranty entirely.

Were you getting specific work done that they said they would not cover or did they tell you that the warranty is now void for all future repairs also?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Did they VOID your warranty or was your warranty claim just not honored!! There is a big difference. If they just didnt honor it... go home clean all the shit out that you can, then return to another nissan dealership and see what they say. what were you trying to get fixed under the warranty?? That should definitely NOT void a warranty [mud]!!

If your warranty was voided then you need to talk to some higher ups... aka not a dealership but the people that the dealership take the claims to [some sort of regional branch]. There should be a sticky somewhere that has info about this stuff that is called "will this void my warranty." Read that and see if it helps!

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i got mud on my engine from driving through a mud puddle on the road!!!

fight that! what did you bring it in for if i may ask? if they void a warrenty usually it will be on certain components (ex. suspension if you have a lift)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I can see them not honoring warranty work that was directly caused by mud on the engine.

Ie.

Over heating becuase the radiator was clogged full of mud.

Engine problems because you sucked mud/water into the engine.

etc...

·
on line
1,361 Posts
seriously some gravel/dirt roads that are legal roads can make you rig so muddy it looks like you cut through the corn field. The road I crew up on was gravel but only recieved new gravel about twice a year so the rest of the year it was this packed clay mud, well except for when it rained then it was soupy as all get out.

I doubt they could void or dishonor it for mud. Heck the X is advertised as an offroad vehicle.

·
on line
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i brought it in because the brakes where squeaking and they told me it was because they were caked with mud and as a result they ended up needing new pads and as i expected it wasnt covered under warantee which was not a problem for me cause it was wear and tear. when i went to pick up the vehicle the manager was waiting for me and they put it on a lift and said that there is mud all over this vehicle and it was complete neglagance and this vehicle is now void from waranty and they put it in their computer. The vehicle is registered through my family business and i told them it was a muddy contruction site but they still did not believe me. i live in CT and the dealer is DeCormier motor sales. I love my xterra but nissan as a whole is not making me too happy.

·
on line
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there answer to off road is driving down the beach or on flat roads basicaly

·
on line
3,050 Posts
This does not surprise me about Nissan, because just recently a fellow X owner up here in Canada had the same issue with their ASP extended warranty was cancelled just because they had modded their suspension. They replaced their suspension with equal to or better then stock shocks and because of this mod someone made it a point to point it out and now his extended 6 yr warranty has been cancelled...and he is out 2000 dollars...he is fighting it, and I am seeing alot of people dumping the xterra for either jeep or an FJ, because they clearly advertise their vehicles as an Offroad vehicle and they clearly support those vehicles as offroad vehicles...I dont get it...

This is why I have held off on doing my suspension lift...

·
on line
2,077 Posts
well, i could see them not honoring a warrenty on the brakes if mud was caked in there, but there is no reason why they should void the warrenty on the whole vehicle....get nissan on the phone and work that one out, the corporate offices are usually easier to work with then the dealers

·
on line
641 Posts
miles said:
just recently a fellow X owner up here in Canada .... their ASP extended warranty was cancelled just because they had modded their suspension .... clearly advertise their vehicles as an Offroad vehicle
Although I don't have plans for a lift, that sort of thing is in part why I don't have the Nissan ASP warranty. Before I bought my Xterra I tried everything I could, including repeated calls to the Nissan Canada Customer Service Center, to get a copy of the actual ASP document that contains the wording that spells out what is, and is not, covered by the ASP warranty.

The bottom line is that Nissan Canada refused to provide the information. They kept saying "it's the same as in the brochure", etc., but even when I pointed out to them their own wording that indicated that wasn't the case, it didn't help. If you aren't going to let me see "the fine print" before I sign, you're not going to be able to sell it to me.

However, had I bought the ASP warranty, and the reason for Nissan voiding the warranty wasn't specifically stated "in the brochure or on the form", then I'd just go to a lawyer. I think that they would have no problem having Nissan honor the warranty, because of their selling the warranty on the basis of the information available to the purchaser at the time of purchase. It would be hard for Nissan to make a reasonable argument that they voided your warranty on the basis of information that they provided to you after they had your money and your signature.

If you look on the back of the Nissan ASP New Vehicle Application form, right on the top line it says "This Application is subject to and incorporates all of the terms and conditions of the forthcoming Added Security Plan (ASP) Agreement including the following:". No way was I going to sign that form, when I wasn't allowed to see 'the rest of the terms and conditions'.

However, it is also a case of "know what you are buying". On the back of the ASP application form, under "Vehicle Eligibility", it says "Any vehicle used for racing/competition or off-road activities is also not eligible" and "The vehicle must not have been modified in any way". Even without receiving the "forthcoming Added Security Plan (ASP) Agreement", it would already be fairly clear that if you plan to use your Xterra off-road, and/or make any modifications, buying the ASP is at best a gamble.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
irp88 said:
i brought it in because the brakes where squeaking and they told me it was because they were caked with mud and as a result they ended up needing new pads and as i expected it wasnt covered under warantee which was not a problem for me cause it was wear and tear. when i went to pick up the vehicle the manager was waiting for me and they put it on a lift and said that there is mud all over this vehicle and it was complete neglagance and this vehicle is now void from waranty and they put it in their computer. The vehicle is registered through my family business and i told them it was a muddy contruction site but they still did not believe me. i live in CT and the dealer is DeCormier motor sales. I love my xterra but nissan as a whole is not making me too happy.
I would give Nissan Corporate customer service a call, there is no excuse for a dealership acting that way. You obviously had no problem paying for the "wear and tear" items that needed to be replaced, taking it to the next level of Nissan is defiantly needed and pointing out to them that the treatment that you received was totally un-professional.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well For one, my dealer would never do that. It's not their money that fixes it, it's Nissan's.

And, if you had an extended warranty, they would owe you the balance if they voided it.

I don't think they did, they just said they did to keep you from claiming anything else and,,,, keep the money as if no claims, more for them.

You need to contact the BBB in your area, do all the screaming you can. It's an off road vehicle and you are using it as advertised.

Now, if it is a business vehicle, yea, they can cancel the warranty because it says in the terms that would be a no no (Probably) But, they still owe you balance.

When it comes to Dealers, Never volunteer information. You don't know, you never know .....all you know is it's doing something it is not suppose to do, o, ........... it's not doing something is it suppose to, and that is it! Don't offer, volunteer information. Let them wonder. Name, Rank serial number........
= Last name, Model, Vin. That's it!

Oh and extended warranty's are a bad gamble for you, if it wasn't they would not sell em, The language leans their way 100%

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I dunno, I paid $800 for the extended warranty on my 97 Intrepid. I had over $3000 worth of warranty repairs done after the factory warranty ended. So for me, it was worth while.

Sad part...out of that $3000 none of it was major repairs (no engine rebuilds, tranny, etc.) It was all silly crap. A/C, PS pump, front strut mount, engine mount, and other random stuff. I never worked on the car myself, I bought it new just so I wouldn't have to.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I also bought the ASP and now I am thinking I shouldnt have.....whats going on with Nissan ? I am hearing more and more of these issues coming up.....I need to rethink about being a Nissan owner for life....

·
on line
3,484 Posts
muzikman said:
I dunno, I paid $800 for the extended warranty on my 97 Intrepid. I had over $3000 worth of warranty repairs done after the factory warranty ended. So for me, it was worth while.

Sad part...out of that $3000 none of it was major repairs (no engine rebuilds, tranny, etc.) It was all silly crap. A/C, PS pump, front strut mount, engine mount, and other random stuff. I never worked on the car myself, I bought it new just so I wouldn't have to.
American made, I should have said Nissan, I thought I was on a Xterra site. Yea, I had about 20K in warranty done one a Dodge, But I'd never buy the warranty again, I almost think they broke crap just to harvest parts for their shop repairs by keeping my good part, putting on a new one under warranty and using my old part on a car in the shop or used on the lot. (Parts harvesting) All paid for by my warranty, trouble was, I had no car while they did all that. Never Dodge again, and never again.

I think 6 transmissions, Funny thing, the one I paid for while it was still under warranty (At a Chevy Dealer) was the one that worked. Anyone explain that? Why Greenwood Chevrolet can put a Tranny in a Dodge and make it work but Dodge can't?

Parts harvesting, You can't harvest parts off vehicles that don't have an extended warranty. OR vehicles that are under factory warranty because they want the parts back.

MC

·
on line
255 Posts
Miles, from reading the Jeep and FJ forums, owners are having problems there as well with warranty claims regarding vehicles used 'off road'(mud was one of the no-no's). They seem to be denying claims due to circumstances the vehicles appear to be designed for and are advertised in their promotional literature and videos as quite capable of doing.

People 'dumping their Xterras' because they think DCX or Toyota will stand behind the 'advertised as 'off road' or 'trail rated' vehicles' they sell may be in for a big disappointment. More and more, when it comes to allowing warranty claims, manufacturers appear to define off road as off pavement...read: smooth, level gravel, dirt or sand that is not wet or muddy and doesn't get the vehicle's underside or engine compartment 'contaminated'. According to Jeep and FJ forums, the manufacturers are denying claims by owners that have components fail(FJ diffs, etc.) while the vehicle is being used 'off pavement' .

Our resident Marine may be right in not volunteering any info. other than it doesn't seem to be working the way it should. I think I would clean it up before I took it in. Again, mud appears to be a no-no in the delicate world of warranties.

We have our fifth Jeep and have had several Toyotas. From our experience, DCX and Toyota are not anything special when it comes to customer support or service. Attitudinal might be a better description.

Still, if people want to 'dump' their Nissan products thinking that DCX or Toyota will give them better support, that the grass is somehow greener elsewhere, of course, that is up to them.

As a side note, from our brief experience with our Nissan Svc. Dept., they seem really interested in making us happy and keeping us as a customer.
Hope it continues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts