Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked into Harbor Freight today and found this on sale for $19.99. I picked it up for my trail tool bag. Might be a good throwaway tool for those of you running air. The composite handle makes it nice and lightweight, it's only 3.3 lbs! Not sure why the website doesn't list the sale price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94802

Also found a set of 1/2 drive lug nut impact sockets on sale for $7.99. 17, 19, 21mm and 3 SAE sizes. Came in a plastic case with a small extension. Not too bad.

·
on line
807 Posts
I am pretty sure its 98.
This is a generalization, but usually anything with 4lugs is 65-80ft/lbs, 5lugs is 85-90ft/lbs, 6lugs is 95-100ft/lbs, and 8 or 10lugs is 120-140ft/lbs

·
on line
735 Posts
first of all, you can put on tires with a 600 lb/ft rated impact wrench, but you have to becareful to only let it alpply only so much torque or use torque limiting sticks like tire shops use a lot.

it's basically by feel and judgement. you do not use an impact wrench like a torque wrench. always check by hand afterwords.

anyways... That looks to be a waste of metal. 250 lbs tq rating is weak and most good 1/2 drive impacts are rated for twice that at least. The biggest use for impacts are taking things off, and secondly for being able to spin things on very fast that might rotate otherwise by hand and never tighten down on threads.

save up $130 for the good IR branded 600 lb/ft one. You'll never have to buy another one.
the second secret to impact tool performance is your air source. run them straight from the tank..a regulator (especially the tiny household regulators) really restrict airflow..just run them wide open at 130-150 psi for maximum zing. you can turn down the "oomph" at the tool itself.

·
on line
72 Posts
the only problem with running some of the nice impact guns on the trail is alot of people dont have enough compressor or air tank to run it. sometimes the cheaper ones are better for an occasional job. it all depends on your usage.

·
on line
463 Posts
Well, Harbor also has a 110v impact that isn't really expensive as well.
I used it for my frame work and lug nuts at my garage.
Cheap but, works just fine. ( It isn't Milwaukee ! It's disposable !
While I've never done this, you could run a converter ( 12 V-110v ) and have your impact wrench and coffee pot and micro-wave for camping !
Oh yeah, TV too.

Jim B

·
on line
1,114 Posts
prod39 said:
Well, Harbor also has a 110v impact that isn't really expensive as well.
I used it for my frame work and lug nuts at my garage.
Cheap but, works just fine. ( It isn't Milwaukee ! It's disposable !
While I've never done this, you could run a converter ( 12 V-110v ) and have your impact wrench and coffee pot and micro-wave for camping !
Oh yeah, TV too.

Jim B
Yep, I've seen that thing in action. I watched a local club member pull wheel lugs of with it. Works as advertised. Of course it's not as fast as an air tool but it kicks wrenching in the ass.

For $20...too easy! It's a great trail tool. Then you can leave the expensive crap at home.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MagEditor said:
the only problem with running some of the nice impact guns on the trail is alot of people dont have enough compressor or air tank to run it. sometimes the cheaper ones are better for an occasional job. it all depends on your usage.
He hit the nail on the head. I'm going to run mine off my powertank. It's lightweight, and for $20 bucks I'm not going to get too upset if it breaks or if my trail tool bag ever gets ripped off. Cheap tools is kind of my theme when it comes to stocking my trail bag.

·
on line
666 Posts
Not to hijack or change the thread, but the "torque sticks" the tire shops use are the greates joke in the land... There is no load relief in the stick, and there is nothing that tells the gun to stop applying load... The only way their sticks could work is if there were a torque mechanism, or if you yeilded the stick during use, then trashed it and got a new one... for every lug nut...

·
on line
807 Posts
Robb_D said:
Not to hijack or change the thread, but the "torque sticks" the tire shops use are the greates joke in the land... There is no load relief in the stick, and there is nothing that tells the gun to stop applying load... The only way their sticks could work is if there were a torque mechanism, or if you yeilded the stick during use, then trashed it and got a new one... for every lug nut...
This is true. I have worked in a few tire shops, and not to generalize, but a lot of times the guys in there aren't the most intelligent people, some of them run the gun for ever on a lugnut. Torque sticks can be beneficial, but are by no means the be-all-end-all. Anyone who has used a impact gun before can stop the gun by 'sound' and be more accurate than the sticks. I no longer work as a tire-jockey, but when I did, I could use the impact gun, then finish with a torque wrench and only have to move the torque wrench and inch or so before it clicked.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
stevet47 said:
I am pretty sure its 98.
This is a generalization, but usually anything with 4lugs is 65-80ft/lbs, 5lugs is 85-90ft/lbs, 6lugs is 95-100ft/lbs, and 8 or 10lugs is 120-140ft/lbs
Absolutely Correct! From the manuel:

Wheel nut tightening torque:
98 ft-lb (133 N·m)
The wheel nuts must be kept tightened
to specifications at all times. It
is recommended that wheel nuts be
tightened to specification at each
tire rotation interval.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts