Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
4,139 Posts
I'll make this short. It's Bitchin'! :headbang: Two years of research :geek:, 13 months waiting :violent1:. Only the 5th of it's kind. The VMI guys, Mike, Corey, and AJ are awesome. They really take great pride in what they do, and they are constantly trying to improve. Check out their site at - Offroad Adventure Trailers | 4x4 Expedition Outfitter - VMI Offroad

Features:
Inside - Queen Size Bed that doubles as two Bench Seats with a Table, a "Vanity" Cabinet with a Cabinet for a Cassette Toilet.
Outside - Full Galley with Fridge, Cabinets, Storage, Counter Top, fold away Table, Hot and Cold Water, 25 Gal Fresh Water Tank, 20 lbs Propane Tank, quick release Propane hook up for Stove.

All Aluminum fully Welded Frame and Body
Smittybuilt Awnings Side and Rear with a filler piece to make the corner
Matching Rims and Tires and Spare
4 x Jerry Can Holders
Tongue Mounted Storage Box
Lock and Roll Hitch
Virtually all Hardware is Marine Type and Stainless

Here are some shots. I didn't take many, and I didn't have reason to deploy the Awning while out... So I didn't.

Edit - I meant to put this in here too...

It's pulls great, tracks beautifully, its super easy to get camp set, and I still got between 10 and 12 MPG while pulling it 1200 miles, and that's with 33's and the stock 3.36's. Overdrive is absolutely useless while pulling though. 2340 lbs. dry.

The Glamour shot;

My wife making dinner;

The Galley;

I'll try to update this thread with more shots, and or more info as time allows. If you have questions post up and I'll try to answer them.

:eek:ccasion5:

Edit for Inside Shots;

·
on line
2,882 Posts
I've seen this beauty in person and it's sweet.
Giving me all kinds of bad ideas for my future build ��

So this is the "mistress" and the X is the "girlfriend "?
Busy guy!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Good stuff ... looks like a smaller (note, not baby ... not *that* much smaller) brother (sister?) to our Alpine. Your wait time was better than ours, but I've never faulted the VMI guys for their process or communications (my wife may want to disagree with that, but that's a conversation best had over a campfire or beers).

I've been meaning to upload some pictures, but as of yet just have driveway shots ... as it happened the trailer wound up getting to us about two weeks before our second kid (now 8 weeks), so we haven't actually had it out and about yet ... :(

Hoping to maybe get in a shakedown later this summer, but will have to see how it goes with the kids and all that ...

Congrats on the trailer!!! :eek:ccasion5: ... and since I see you're in UT, maybe we can start up a "Mountain West VMI Owners Club" or some other ridiculous thing ... :drink:

·
TNX Veteran
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff ... looks like a smaller (note, not baby ... not *that* much smaller) brother (sister?) to our Alpine. Your wait time was better than ours, but I've never faulted the VMI guys for their process or communications (my wife may want to disagree with that, but that's a conversation best had over a campfire or beers).

I've been meaning to upload some pictures, but as of yet just have driveway shots ... as it happened the trailer wound up getting to us about two weeks before our second kid (now 8 weeks), so we haven't actually had it out and about yet ... :(

Hoping to maybe get in a shakedown later this summer, but will have to see how it goes with the kids and all that ...

Congrats on the trailer!!! :eek:ccasion5: ... and since I see you're in UT, maybe we can start up a "Mountain West VMI Owners Club" or some other ridiculous thing ... :drink:
Post up some shots, i'd love to see it.

I like the VMI Club thing. Mike was taking about possibly doing an owner retreat next year in Yellowstone.

Thanks for the well wishes. :eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Post up some shots, i'd love to see it.
I've got a few driveway shots on the iPad at home, I'll try and get them uploaded tonight or sometime soon ... as it turns out though, the interior shots on the Alpine page are actually of our trailer. They also had ours at Overland Expo this year (or as it happened, I guess, "Snow"verland Expo would have been more apropos) ... the VMI guys hit the show on their way to drop the trailer at our place in Denver.

I like the VMI Club thing. Mike was taking about possibly doing an owner retreat next year in Yellowstone.
We talked about that when they were dropping ours off, too ... it sounds like it could be a cool idea. Hopefully it comes together and we can make it work with the timing and time off and all that ... at this rate, I'm going to need the boss to up my vacation time!! ;) ... between GONE, some local club trips, family trips, now the VMI trip, and other stuff I'd like to get scheduled ... I'm going to need to just win the lottery, I think, then I can live off the interest and travel full time! :drink::cheers:

·
TNX Veteran
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Looks fun. Any interior pics?

Side note: where'd you get the action packer? I've never seen any other color than black/grey.
No interior shots of ours yet, but it looks pretty much the same as the one their site. I'll try to get one or two today, and add them to the post. As for the action packer, they are just really old. We have two larger ones also, and they are black, and newer.

Edit - Photo's of inside in the first post now.

·
TNX Veteran
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i was asked on another thread about how the trailer is.

Well, I've only taken it out twice since we got it back home.:(

That said, or rather admitted, It really is very cool. Packing up to go takes far less time, towing it is a breeze, to set up and tear down camp is nothing, and putting things away when we return takes about an hour. Camping made easy... and comfortable.

I was also asked about options:

I got very few.

1. Larger fridge
2. Vanity Cabinet
3. Front stabilizer feet (comes with two, I have four)
4. Cassette toilet
5. Lock n roll hitch
6. Awnings
7. Jerry can holders
8. Rear mounted Spare
9. AGM Batteries
10. Fold down table in the galley
11. Wheel adapters for our silly 6 x 4.5 wheels

Obviously not everyone would agree whit the options I found to most important, there they are. And even though we did spend $$$ to do this, the spending had to stop somewhere, but I do wish I had put the solar panels on the roof, because now I'm going to do it anyway.

The reason? Should be obvious. No generator to haul around, no fuel, no sound. Stay out indefinitely.

·
TNX Veteran
4,139 Posts
I haven't taken pictures of it yet, but I just added 240 Watts of Zamp Solar goodness to the Roof of the Trailer. Similar to this, but with 3 - 80 Watt Panels.
Zamp Solar Deluxe 200 Watt RV Solar Kit

And just because:

And what we saw:

I'll post up some Solar photo's when I get a chance.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts