Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
Joined
·
882 Posts
That’s why I walked away from body repair on my ‘06. Even with “friends in the business” the cost got so fcuking absurd to do the little that needed to be done. Cost was nearly upside down before I even really got going.
Decided to just start over and then part out the ‘06 when the time came.


Greed destroys everything. And we suffer for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Ouch. I've been there. Someone cut in front of me, offset head on collision. Mentally lived that over quite a number of times.

I'd definitely check out the used market. If something newer was required, the 4Runner comes to mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
It would be really nice if all the insurance companies got together and came up with a flat rate fee for things just like warranty work. The body shops won’t touch anything but insurance work anymore so if that’s what their business is based on you would think the insurance companies would hold the cards.
The insurance companies want to hold the cards. They want you to use the lowest bidder. I worked in a GM dealer as gopher / helper for a long time growing up and learned a lot helping the body repair guys. Todays shops are a genuine joke / scam. I have had to take cars to the body shop twice in 20 years, both for relatively minor repairs where others insurance were paying. Both had to go back multiple times, and even then the final product was still crap.
 

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
Joined
·
461 Posts
The insurance companies want to hold the cards. They want you to use the lowest bidder. I worked in a GM dealer as gopher / helper for a long time growing up and learned a lot helping the body repair guys. Todays shops are a genuine joke / scam. I have had to take cars to the body shop twice in 20 years, both for relatively minor repairs where others insurance were paying. Both had to go back multiple times, and even then the final product was still crap.
Couldn't agree more. Knock on wood the only recent time had to get body work done was when my neighbor backed into my parked truck damaging the front bumper and the painted trim piece over the bumper. I called to see if it was ready and told yes, I just inspected it myself. As I pull up I can see the trim piece has a big bump in it before I even got out of the car. Turns out they broke the tabe snapping it back on the new bumper. Come back two days later and they have scratched the brand new bumper. Come back two days later and they have broken the clips that hold the wires up for the fog lights. At this point I take the truck and ziptie the wires up and complain to the insurance company. Complaint goes nowhere, just stupid how they can't even change abumper out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,091 Posts
Unfortunately the shops have the law and customer service on their side. When all the shops are asking for insane repair costs although unreasonable it is common. When we push back on charges, fees and costs, they call the customer and say "you're insurance company won't fix your car." Customers call us yelling, file Department of Insurance complaints etc. Had a car get towed in today. The shop removed two plastic trim panels in the rear cargo area. I could see the inner quarter, rear body panel, and floor was buckled. Car is a total loss. Shop wanted $1681 in fees for basically just unsnapping two panels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,091 Posts
At this point I take the truck and ziptie the wires up and complain to the insurance company. Complaint goes nowhere, just stupid how they can't even change abumper out.
Complaining to the insurance does nothing. We can't withhold or reverse payment. If you aren't happy with the quality of work it is up to you as the shop's customer to work it out. I have customers yelling how crappy the work was at the shop THEY choose to take their car to. Then you also get people who just swear everything is accident related. They get backed into in the grocery store parking lot and suddenly the windshield crack and rock chips are related to the wreck. People who have hail damage and claim they need an alignment. The medical claims are out of control too. Everyone who gets the most minor bump claims injuries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
What a bummer:(
I agree with those who say bid her farewell and take the money. I know sentimental stuff is hard to let go, but you could actually come out ahead. I recently got a 2009 Off Road 6 speed with 46,000 miles, 1 owner in great shape for $11k. I spent a long time looking, but was ready to pull the trigger quickly once it came up. If you're patient and keep on it, I'm sure you can find a great deal, update/upgrade whatever 'fancy' stuff came on the latest X, and still have a decent chunk of money left over... my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
What a bummer:(
I agree with those who say bid her farewell and take the money. I know sentimental stuff is hard to let go, but you could actually come out ahead. I recently got a 2009 Off Road 6 speed with 46,000 miles, 1 owner in great shape for $11k. I spent a long time looking, but was ready to pull the trigger quickly once it came up. If you're patient and keep on it, I'm sure you can find a great deal, update/upgrade whatever 'fancy' stuff came on the latest X, and still have a decent chunk of money left over... my .02
Lol ‘fancy’ stuff on an X!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I'm Beyond Upset!!!! Rant alert:

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual, 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Geico is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only $23,500 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

i've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

If I had to find a comparable replacement, what should I even consider?

Any other advice? Thanks!


View attachment 130945 View attachment 130946


View attachment 130947
75967
Who is paying off? Your insurance, or the other driver? If it’s your insurer, you are pretty much screwed. Take the money and find a 4 Runner. It’s the only thing remotely close to the X’s capability. If it’s the other drivers insurance that is paying off, it’s time to grow a pair and use them wisely. Tell the insurance company that you intend to fix the X, find yourself a reputable body shop that does frame repair (Yelp is a good source). If the insurance company balks, find a attorney that takes the case on contingency. If it’s not your insurer that paying off, you’re in the drivers seat, but be prepared to strap in for a rough ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I'm Beyond Upset!!!! Rant alert:

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual, 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Geico is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only $23,500 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

i've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

If I had to find a comparable replacement, what should I even consider?

Any other advice? Thanks!


View attachment 130945 View attachment 130946


View attachment 130947
75967
Your story is so sad, but don't let someone else's stupidity ruin your fun. My 2012 Pro4-X with 34k miles was totalled in a flood. Everyone said let the insurance company have it. I knew I'd never find another one in like new condition so I bought it back and used the extra cash to bring it back to pre-flood condition. Some days I felt like I'D made a mistake, but I learned how to fix everything and it all worked out so I have a great vehicle. If I were in your situation I'd pay a credible body shop mechanic to inspect the truck and tell you exactly what damage he finds. Then calculate how much it would cost to fix, add 50% or so and decide if it makes sense to save it. My guess is mounting points for springs, shocks, etc. will be biggest problem, but your body guy will be able to tell you how much trouble it will be to fix it. If the frame itself is bent, you will need to determine if it can be brought back to tolerance, assuming there,s a hydraulic frame straightener nearby. You can buy an old beater to drive while you,re doing the rebuild then sell it after the rebuild is over. While you're in the process add beefed up bumpers and sliders. Make it a fun project as if you were restoring a vintage Rover. I am grateful every day I saved mine even though it wasn't as involved as yours. The fact yours is a manual tranny is an extra incentive to go for it. p.s.A Haynes manual was a big help though it's not all inclusive. Good luck whatever you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I'm Beyond Upset!!!! Rant alert:

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual, 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Geico is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only $23,500 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

i've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

If I had to find a comparable replacement, what should I even consider?

Any other advice? Thanks!


View attachment 130945 View attachment 130946


View attachment 130947
75967
My condolences. I’m looking to sell my 2015 Pro-4X with 6Speed Manual. Night Armor 62k miles. Undercoated, Roof rack from NISSTEC, plus other stuff. Great Condition.
319-329-8440 if you are interested
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I'm Beyond Upset!!!! Rant alert:

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual, 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Geico is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only $23,500 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

i've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

If I had to find a comparable replacement, what should I even consider?

Any other advice? Thanks!


View attachment 130945 View attachment 130946


View attachment 130947
75967
I feel for you man, you had an awesome rig in fantastic shape with so much life left in her unfortunately even if you could make it make sense money wise, your rig took quite a hit and with damage like that it might never be the same as it once was. If I was in your shoes with 23,500 to spend id be looking at the new 7 speed manual 2021 Ford Bronco. 23,000 would be a nice down payment on a speced out 4 door bronco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Wow, this hits close to home.. I bought a 2015 manual Pro-4X last year with 49,000 miles (oddly similar, right?), but my situation was sort of the reverse because I had actually just totaled my 2014 X by tackling an elk goin 70 halfway to Steamboat. The nice part about my deal was that insurance gave me +$3k than what I paid for it three years earlier!! Perks of moving to Colorado.

definitely spend a week or two looking around, but don’t waste too much time. Not worth repairing, the frame is probably bent so it’s shot. I found the above-mentioned manual X (which at the time had a market value in CO for like $28k, so I agree you are probably undervalued) in Amarillo, TX for $22k. So there ARE more out there for a good value, and technically 18 months later that $22k means you could find one for $20 maybe? Who knows..

don’t get a Jeep, I find a Bronco as more comparable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Hey what a minute- that guy is selling one right there^ but with a name like ‘HeavyDamage,’ I would take a look first!! Haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I'm Beyond Upset!!!! Rant alert:

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual, 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Geico is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only $23,500 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

i've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

If I had to find a comparable replacement, what should I even consider?

Any other advice? Thanks!


View attachment 130945 View attachment 130946


View attachment 130947
75967
That is incredible how that guy drilled your X. Definitely feel your pain. I have a lot invested in my X and would be near tears if this happened to me. If you are so inclined, give NISSTEC a call to see if they can provide some options. Otherwise, if all else fails and the car has to go to salvage, I'll pay you $800 plus shipping for the front seats if they are heated and leather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I'm Beyond Upset!!!! Rant alert:

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual, 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Geico is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only $23,500 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

i've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

If I had to find a comparable replacement, what should I even consider?

Any other advice? Thanks!


View attachment 130945 View attachment 130946


View attachment 130947
75967
I have a 2014 P4X with only 33K miles - its value as a trade is $21k so i'd say take the money and run ;)
 
41 - 60 of 72 Posts
Top