Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Pro 4X - Black, Manual Transmission
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm Beyond Upset!!!! Rant alert:

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual, 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Insurance is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only ~$25,000 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

i've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

If I had to find a comparable replacement, what should I even consider?

Any other advice? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If my insurance company wished to give me $23,500 , I would be on my way to a Jeep dealership to look at the new Gladiator.

Black Friday specials have the Jeep Gladiator starting at $31,482.
I would probably choose the Sport S for $34,200

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
880 Posts
Your poor rig is shot. That’s a lot of damage along the entire driver’s side. Probably bent the frame back there too.
I know you are numb at the loss and trying to think of a way to save it........

The best bet is to just take your time and start over. Several of us have had to do that lately it seems.
I feel for ya. But be glad you were nowhere near when that happened. And that nobody else was hurt or killed. You’ll find another one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you are numb at the loss and trying to think of a way to save it........
Thanks for empathizing... I really am numb and in shock.... I had plans to keep this car for 200,000 clicks...

No idea what to do now... Feel like a lost zombie...

Thought about an FJ Cruiser, but they don't even make those anymore either ! ... (And definitely not in stick-shift ...)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh wow.. this is just sad.. so sad to read and look at those photos.. it was such an awesome truck so low mileage and prox4 damn...
sorry man I am not making it easer with all those comments...

but is it possible for a good mechanic to look at it ? to see if it not too bad damaged and frame is still good ? and to fix it.. ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
"Only 23,000"? dayum son what did you have in it?

New axle; driveshaft, wheel, and wheel hub. The rest of that will buff out easily. Frame should be fine.

But seriously; a regular body shop will will want $4000-5000+ just for the cosmetic panels back and repainted. So take that into any cost analysis.

·
Registered
546 Posts
$23,500 for a 5 year old truck that has a MSRP of $30k is not that bad imo. You can probably find another one with similar miles for cheaper than that.

There's a 2015 manual pro-4x in Lawrenceville Ga listed for $21,999. Has a little bit more miles (98k) but it's got front bumper, tire carrier, and sliders. (Looks like InsainFab stuff)

There's several 15' automatics with similar miles for about the price the insurance is giving you too.

But if they're giving you 17k if you keep the truck, I'd get it repaired. Unless there's frame damage, or if the axle shifted bad enough to damage the TC/Trans, you should come out on top. Since you need new rear suspension and front bumper at least, seems like a good opportunity to lift and steel bumper.

From the pictures, looks like most of the body damage is the plastic corner, rear door and quarter panel. I had similar body damage when I slid into a tree off-road a few years back. Was $3k to fix.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Damn this sucks!! makes me scared to park my truck anywhere but the drive or by itself in a parking lot.

I would take the 23000$ and run.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh yeah if you want every piece of unseen metal back to factory oem they'll need to cut it out and find replacement. Take the money and run; that is an unrealistic mega project imo.

But if you can live with a body filler job and shop around for paintjob that isn't $4000; could be worth keeping.
Used Axle : $800-$1800 depending on mileage + ??? labor.
I would then put new leafs, etc in.

The gastank door probably complicates matters slightly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That’s way more damage than you think and they are doing the correct thing by totaling it.
No way you can bring it back to original condition than what they are offering you unless you use used parts and a crappy body shop.
That's what Geico is saying.... I just don't know what to believe...

If there is axle, drivetrain and suspension damage on both rear sides, can it be fixed?

What if there's some frame damage? Then fix it?

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x (Super Black)
13 Posts
Take the money and search Carvana constantly if you really want another X... they seem to add at least one X a week to their inventory but they go quick so you have to jump on it! I’d seen a 15 Pro-4x with only 8k miles not too long ago for 27k but someone beat me to it. With some patience I ended up with 14 Pro-4x with 33k miles for 24k. Otherwise I’d say the only comparable new vehicle is probably a 4Runner and they cost a pretty penny...
Crying for you over here! :( definitely a nightmare I’m already having thinking of having to replace mine if that day comes.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
880 Posts
Some of these replies absolutely astound me.

Rework of that sheet metal is $8000-$10,000 or more. That’s just body resto. Not even into the driveline and rear end yet.

@CanXterra - did the nice person who hit you have insurance? Get a rental, take your time and find another X that meets your wants.

Last winter I slid on black ice and ran the pass side of my ‘06 across a utility pole. Killed the fender and both doors, stopped right at the rear quarter and thankfully didn’t bust any glass. Missed the headlight by 2 inches.
Third shift on my way to the job. I just drove on in. Didn’t even stop.
In the morning all I could do was stand there and stare at my baby. I had SO MANY PLANS.......
Looked pretty bad at first blush but I knew there was a black X at the boneyard with all the parts. So I felt ok that I could get her back to good with little $.
Well, then the real look-see showed sill damage and the doghouse was tweaked a teensy bit..... The $ amount started to get close to what I paid for her as now it was crap I couldn’t do myself.
After agonizing for a week or two I decided to throw in the towel and start over. About a month later I found what I truly wanted in the first place and jumped in. Hence my new to me 2010 OR.

Yes, it stings BAD. But you are not doing yourself any good thinking it’ll be like it was. The $ will add up so fast you’ll puke.

Take the settlement. Start hunting. You WILL find another. I’ve not a single doubt.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Martinx is absolutely correct.

Yes, you could repurchase your X as a salvaged vehicle.
The cost spent returning it to the condition it once was will be more than you might expect.

The value of your X will now be that of a salvaged vehicle .
Your vin will reflect your X has been totalled and this may affect your ability to trade in your vehicle. I have known dealerships which would only offer scrap value for a vehicle which was once totalled. Basically, they didn't wish future liability on a vehicle they sold to the public.

Check with your insurance company to see if they would be willing to insure a salvage vehicle.

In my opinion you have three options.
1. Take your cash and find something different.
2. Purchase a decent X and buy your X from the insurance company to use for spare parts to upgrade it as needed. (Engine, trans etc etc)
3. Buy the nicest X you can find and start fresh.

I cannot see a good reason to fix up your X unless there is a desire to make it a dedicated offroad vehicle.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
what everyone else said - move on.

However your not obligated to accept what the insurance company says its worth. You can politely tell them its worth more - and find examples of for sale online. Search online for suggestions on how to improve your insurance offer if your so inclined.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Came here to echo that it’s time to move on. I get that you’re upset but Gieco is treating you fairly here. $23500 is a fair valuation. I also get that it’s a 2015 manual P4X but there are others out there. Miles don’t add as much value as you’re thinking. For reference I picked up my ‘15 P4X manual in July with 78k miles for just under $20k. As my Grandma used to tell me, there’s no use crying over spilt milk.

As I see it here are your options:
1) take the money and buy another X. Will you find another low mileage manual X? Maybe but probably not. However, anything less than 100k on the clock still has a lot of life left IMO.

2) buy it back and attempt to fix it. This is foolish and I wouldn’t attempt. There’s almost certainly frame damage so you’re looking at essentially rebuilding the entire X. Then it will forever be branded as a salvaged title and you’ll never be able to get comprehensive coverage on it again.

3) buy an older X and buy back your totaled one and do a drivetrain transplant. Again this seems like a lot of work vs. little reward.

4) take the money and move to a new platform. You mentioned you tow/haul a lot for work so a Frontier or Gladiator both sound like better fits to me. Plus both come in manuals. If you want an SUV that’s body on frame you’re currently limited to the Wrangler or 4Runner platform. You can also save the money buy a beater and wait for the Bronco to be released (anticipate at least a year before prices normalize though).

I get that this sucks. I was in your shoes in July but things happen. At least no one was hurt. Vehicles can be replaced. If it were me I’d be looking at options 1 and 4 (if 4, I’d seriously consider waiting for the Bronco. It looks amazing and will come in a manual.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just throwing in my mental support. That really sucks.

Not that you need more reality, but that one is gone. Looks like the car hit it driver side rear, and passenger side front hit the tree? That frame is tweaked, it's never going to be what it was. Sorry. I've been there, we had the nicest car we've ever owned stolen by a crack head. He lived in it for a couple weeks before it was found, and even though I was standing there next to the guys in Hazmat suits who were gathering evidence, I was thinking "I could buy it back and clean it real good". Some times you just have to let it go.

For comp purposes, here's one with 70k for $24.9. We were able to add a couple thousand to our payout by providing our own comps. Maybe this will help.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts