Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

I'm Finally a Member of the X Club! ( If I Ever Get It Back! )

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  shailey 
#1 · (Edited)
I really wanted a new Bronco badly,, and was one of the reservation holders.. But between Ford creeping the price ever higher, and some changes of circumstances (read: spousal support), that dream is over. So after some research, it seemed to me that a lightly used Pro-4X or Off Road would be the perfect alternative. So I've been a member here for about a month, trying to learn some things, and perusing the for sale posts. For the last month, I've been on a daily quest, searching Carfax, KBB, Cars.com, eBay, Craigslist and anywhere else I could think of, looking for a nice one with reasonably low mileage. Well, this week my ship came in... I found a 2011 Pro-4X with 83k miles at a dealer in Chicago. It has a clean Carfax, two owners, oil changed every 3-4k miles. So Wednesday morning, I hopped on a plane to Chicago (I'm in Western PA). After some haggling, we settled on $12,750. It seems to be in great shape. I couldn't find any rust on it, with the exception of the trailer hitch. I'm guessing it was garage kept most of it's life. It's had a remote start and alarm installed, and comes with Weather Tech floor mats/liners. The K02's look to have at least 75٪ of the tread left. Unfortunately, at about 10 PM on the ride home, the water pump took a dump in the boonies just outside Youngstown, OH, just as I passed a bar called The Palace, which turned out to be a strip club. There a silver lining in every black cloud! 😁 So I had a few drinks and slept in the parking lot (48° with just a windbreaker for warmth). Thursday morning I called a shop about 15 miles away in New Castle, PA. They came and picked me and the car up. I couldn't find a rental car, so I had to call a friend to come get me (about a two hour drive). Picking it up tomorrow. The good news is that Illinois law says a dealer has to warrant the drivetrain for 15 days or 500 miles. I had gone 425 miles when it took a crap, so they have to pay it. 😃 I'm really looking forward to getting my X home!!

j7

See less See more
#11 ·
Wow that's a really good price. 2011/2012 IMO are the best years. Considering the truck barely changed over its 10 year run, you aren't missing out by not getting a newer model. I'd argue that the 2013-2015 screen with its super dated looks & tech actually makes it worse than the 2011/2012 simple setup. Congrats!!

#15 ·
That's a cherry for that price. Congratulations.

Just some advice from someone that lives in IL and has (had) rusty hitch. I kept refinishing it with all sorts of products. I finally did it in Rustoleum bedliner and it seems to be holding up good

#18 ·
Yeah, maybe if I ever get it back! It's been in the shop in New Castle PA since last Thursday. They replaced the thermostat, water pump, and radiator caps. They still can't figure out why it's still getting hot! They said they did a chemical test on the coolant, not showing signs of head/gasket problems. They said they also flushed it out, and a bunch of crap came out of the motor/radiator. I think they are going to check the fan clutch next week. This bill is going to be a nightmare! I probably should have had it towed to a Nissan dealer. The hourly rate would have been higher, but they may have had a better idea of what is wrong. 😒

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.