Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
on line
235 Posts
I had a leak between the passenger side primary and secondary cat that had me tearing out my hair over A/F sensor values for over a year. If I recall correctly, I put in a second crush ring (2 total) when I removed the secondary cats to look for clogging (none). I think one or both of the flanges were too warped for the one crush ring to do the job properly.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Okay, so here's the update and sorry for going MIA.
  • There was 2 leaks; one in the manifold gasket causing the hissing sound and one on the flange part of the front cat.
  • Went in and got the manifold gasket leak fixed which cleared the P2A00 code but then 8 miles later the P0420 code appeared
  • I had suspected this one would come up because whenever I looked up the O2 sensor on threads or videos, the P0420 was almost always in the discussion.
  • I took it to an exhaust shop before they closed and they said there was a leak but that i'd have to bring it in on Monday. Monday comes and i'm on my way over there when I hear a metal scraping sound when coasting. I'm thinking "oh great there go my brakes too...
  • Got to the exhaust shop and they did their inspection and told me that the misfire had caused the filter thing in the front passenger cat to fail and that morning, a piece of the filter came off and made its way into the rear cat. You could hear something clanking around in the rear cat when he tapped it with a mallet, which has me thinking about what other people have said about the P0420 code being popped up because of the rear cat, but at the same time i was told that filter part came from the front cat.
-Anyway, i'm getting both passenger cats replaced, since i kinda need the truck to work. I'll maybe see if I can do the driver side myself later on, but for now i just need it to be derivable.
I had a leak between the passenger side primary and secondary cat that had me tearing out my hair over A/F sensor values for over a year. If I recall correctly, I put in a second crush ring (2 total) when I removed the secondary cats to look for clogging (none). I think one or both of the flanges were too warped for the one crush ring to do the job properly.
Yeah that's what they said about a leak on the front cat, a warped flange leak. Now, I just gotta wait a few days and hopefully shes back up and running by the 4th

41 - 46 of 46 Posts