Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
But it was trying to eat healthy that bit me in the @&&. Not a indulgent meal. Have no decent pizza for 35 miles here. I would kill for a good bacon chicken ranch without a 1.5hr drive

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
39 Posts
swap coils and see if #1 still pops. did you order hitachi coils? my suggestion is combing the cat/misfire threads as the misfire caused catastrophic failure.i would not drive it..
somewhere here mentioned off brand coils and random spark plugs caused issues themselves. isnt the 300 code the predissesor of 301? two birds one stone
🤔🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
39 Posts
also, once the misfire is corrected physcially check your cats or read the cat voltage test thread on here. dude was a nissan mechanic i believe.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
swap coils and see if #1 still pops. did you order hitachi coils? my suggestion is combing the cat/misfire threads as the misfire caused catastrophic failure.i would not drive it..
somewhere here mentioned off brand coils and random spark plugs caused issues themselves. isnt the 300 code the predissesor of 301? two birds one stone
🤔🤔🤔🤔
These are the ones I ordered. Really? Catastrophic? Well damn and I used the NGK spark plugs

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
39 Posts
I guess the guys who had this problem all went to the other forum, but the old threads should be here if you search. Scary thing was the one dude had like 5 minutes of CEL and the engine/cats were toast. Mark the cylinder 1 coil, and switch it to another plug. I.e. Cylinder 2 should throw 302? Or if you have all 6 coils, why not??? May be piece of mind to know you pinpointed it though

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok so update, after having stripped the throttle mount bolts and dealing with that bs, I managed to get it all undone again (up to the spark plugs). Redid those; just untighten and tighten again, make sure the gaps looked good. Undid every ignition coil and found no tears, rips or misalignment on them but went ahead and replaced all of them. Put everything back together and noticed I'll need a new cold air intake filter. Anyway got it all put back together, started her up and erased the codes. Turned off then on again, real smooth start up and idle. Went for a ride real quick, went up to 6th speed at around 80mph and no blinking light this time. So far the issue has been solved, but now I wanna deal with that flapping sound when accelrating. It changed from before but I'll try and upload a video of how it sounded before and after once I get time to edit videos

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ok so update, after having stripped the throttle mount bolts and dealing with that bs, I managed to get it all undone again (up to the spark plugs). Redid those; just untighten and tighten again, make sure the gaps looked good. Undid every ignition coil and found no tears, rips or misalignment on them but went ahead and replaced all of them. Put everything back together and noticed I'll need a new cold air intake filter. Anyway got it all put back together, started her up and erased the codes. Turned off then on again, real smooth start up and idle. Went for a ride real quick, went up to 6th speed at around 80mph and no blinking light this time. So far the issue has been solved, but now I wanna deal with that flapping sound when accelrating. It changed from before but I'll try and upload a video of how it sounded before and after once I get time to edit videos
Is the flapping sound around 1200-2000 RPMs and then goes away? I believe there’s an issue with the VAIS valve around that engine speed.

Could also be the DMF.

My 2011 6MT has some kind of ‘rattle’ in first around 1,200-2,000 rpm but I’ve long ago tried pinpointing it. Truck drives just fine and has for thousands of miles since I first noticed it so I’m going to just keep going.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Is the flapping sound around 1200-2000 RPMs and then goes away? I believe there’s an issue with the VAIS valve around that engine speed.

Could also be the DMF.

My 2011 6MT has some kind of ‘rattle’ in first around 1,200-2,000 rpm but I’ve long ago tried pinpointing it. Truck drives just fine and has for thousands of miles since I first noticed it so I’m going to just keep going.
No, this one kind of stays constant after 1500 rpm and onward. Like it sounds like an old fart and as you go faster it just sounds sped up. And it's more distinct now whereas before is sounded like a flap and now like an old fart. Also now I'm getting this pop up

·
Registered
335 Posts
174k miles. Pretty good life for the O2 sensors
Walkerproducts.com I just read, has a pretty good explanation of the sensors and other possible issues that the sensor maybe picking up. One of which is lean burn because of air leak. (hissing sound?)Good pictures

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
39 Posts
stop driving the x other than diagnostic. search for surfandsnow's thread on o2 voltage. your cats can very well fail before the cel trips. that o2 range code you posted has me thinking this. again, the dude who started the thread was a staple here. spend the time now, or big bucks later. i admittedly am repeating their info because the threads involving o2 voltage and misfires was interesting to read through. seems like a nissan problem. not trying to be negative-- trying to be cautious.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
174k miles. Pretty good life for the O2 sensors
Walkerproducts.com I just read, has a pretty good explanation of the sensors and other possible issues that the sensor maybe picking up. One of which is lean burn because of air leak. (hissing sound?)Good pictures
Yeah my friend was saying there might be a leak causing the hissing sound coming from the passenger coils side. I'll upload a video on yt when I get off work showing what I mean with that.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
stop driving the x other than diagnostic. search for surfandsnow's thread on o2 voltage. your cats can very well fail before the cel trips. that o2 range code you posted has me thinking this. again, the dude who started the thread was a staple here. spend the time now, or big bucks later. i admittedly am repeating their info because the threads involving o2 voltage and misfires was interesting to read through. seems like a nissan problem. not trying to be negative-- trying to be cautious.
Will do and yeah I'm thinking it might be an air leak or a passenger side cat, as that side is where the sound originates from. I'll try and figure out my code reader to see if I can get the voltage aswell.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Ok so from my understanding and reading up on other threads with similar issues, I should look at the o2 sensor but it might be the rear sensor apparently, one of the cats is loose, needs clean or just needs to be replaced, possibly an exhaust leak, or it could be a fuel injector. At this point I'm wondering whether i should take it into the dealership and see if they can find out what it is and then I do the work. What would you guys suggest? Also here's the video

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
777 Posts
I believe this is the post he is referring to:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts