Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had just bought this nice 07 manual Xterra and it came with a SES light on. When I took it to get an oil change and check up, it came out that it has a misfire, and i could feel it at start up at times. So I was told it was most likely a Spark plug issue, so went ahead and ordered them up as well as the head gasket and throttle rings or whatever they're called. Went over to my friends shop and he let me work on it while he over looked as he worked. I was following the first guide on Youtube. Every thing went well, surprisingly. I changed out all 6 spark plugs which where really burned and installed the new ones and did like the video said which was to hand tighten then half tighten with the wrench until you feel the washer crush. I did put the aluminum protector or whatever on the aluminum part and that weird white stuff on the coils. Installed everything back to how it was, but i didn't have the torque wrench for the weight on the 8 bolts, so when i started it back up it was shaking a little. Went and got the wrench i needed, tightened them down to 11lb/ft and then the shaking for the most part stopped. So now everything except the cover was back on and ready to goWe erased the SES code or whatever and the light went away. HORRAY!!.....not so fast. Upon accelerating a little the SES light came back on and when we ran the test, now it says multiple (4) misfires. We're hoping its the coils which I ordered and should be here in 2 days. He says that it might be the fuel injectors, but honestly idk, I'm not a car guy but I'm willing to learn for this Xterra. Like I said I pretty much did the job myself and all went well but now we think the coils might be bad or I did something wrong, but unless the guide was bad i followed it as well as I could have. I forgot to get the codes but i can try at some point later tomorrow or Tuesday. Right now I'm working like 60hr weeks so it's a little hard to get time to work on her and with the covid stuff, mechanics have like 3 week wait times for appointments, but i can set aside a few hours to change these myself. If need be I can record what i'm doing. But yeah if anybody can help me out with this, it was be so much appreciated.
20200621_123424.jpg

·
on line
235 Posts
Was your X running as roughly before you changed the plugs. If it was, it could be the injectors. If it was much smoother, it could be improperly installed coils. Either way, don't run it very much in this condition since you may be dumping unburnt fuel into the cats, burning them out.

There is a "Coil Protector" that plugs onto the bottom of each coil to connect it to the spark plug. When removing the coil, the coil protector can become disconnected from the coil leading to a poor electrical connection between the coil and the plug. I had this problem and documented it in this thread (see photos in links). Hopefully, this helps you.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean it would run alright, the idle is where I felt the power go up and down on the rpm without doing anything but that was at start up. Now it runs smooth, but when I was driving it back home I noticed some random little bursts in power, but on the dash but how it felt, nothing major just like it's being held back kinda. But overall no it wasnt running rough before, its smoother now for sure but the ses light keeps popping up. I'll have to see how the coils look when I try again, the misalignment part wasnt mentioned in the tut. Also the pics on your thread get a 404 error but I will take that into consideration. Hopefully it wasnt the injectors though but my friend said it smelled like gas so one might be bad. Also I have a question, if I were to go back in and change the coils, do I have to change the plugs and gasket rings again? Being that I literally just changed them?

·
Registered
341 Posts
How many miles on this rig? That can help with possibility of other issues causing your malady. Like timing chain.
Your plugs of the ones I seen looked nice and toasty and not black that a bad misfire would start

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles on this rig? That can help with possibility of other issues causing your malady. Like timing chain.
Your plugs of the ones I seen looked nice and toasty and not black that a bad misfire would start
She sits at 174k. I was told it might be a fuel injector which would suck to replace, but I'm willing to. I'll try and get the codes tomorrow as well if that helps. And more pics at request if needed

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
When the engine misfires the SES light will start flashing. Bad coils can definitely cause that, if they don't fix it the primary cats are what I'd look at next to make sure they didn't break apart and clog the exhaust.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the engine misfires the SES light will start flashing. Bad coils can definitely cause that, if they don't fix it the primary cats are what I'd look at next to make sure they didn't break apart and clog the exhaust.
That's what I was think might be next if the coils aren't the issue. Hopefully it's just the coils

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had a Chevy 2.2 that was misfiring and all coils good as well as plugs. Dealer installed new ecm and check engine light went on within a week. Month latter the chain jumped and the engine was toast. Now a known issue with that vintage of engine.
This is going down the same path with that many miles IMHO. Cats are easy enough to check and replace. Chain is a pain and I'm not looking forward to the job on mine as it has 119k

·
Registered
107 Posts
I mean it would run alright, the idle is where I felt the power go up and down on the rpm without doing anything but that was at start up. Now it runs smooth, but when I was driving it back home I noticed some random little bursts in power, but on the dash but how it felt, nothing major just like it's being held back kinda. But overall no it wasnt running rough before, its smoother now for sure but the ses light keeps popping up. I'll have to see how the coils look when I try again, the misalignment part wasnt mentioned in the tut. Also the pics on your thread get a 404 error but I will take that into consideration. Hopefully it wasnt the injectors though but my friend said it smelled like gas so one might be bad. Also I have a question, if I were to go back in and change the coils, do I have to change the plugs and gasket rings again? Being that I literally just changed them?
No you wouldn’t need to change any of those new parts as long as you don’t bang things up taking it apart again. Which you won’t, you sound careful.

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a Chevy 2.2 that was misfiring and all coils good as well as plugs. Dealer installed new ecm and check engine light went on within a week. Month latter the chain jumped and the engine was toast. Now a known issue with that vintage of engine.
This is going down the same path with that many miles IMHO. Cats are easy enough to check and replace. Chain is a pain and I'm not looking forward to the job on mine as it has 119k
Lol I'd really hope not but good luck with yours, if anything it might be the cat so if the coils dont fix the issue, on to the cat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok awesome I was like dang I hope not but ok. I'll keep this updated as I go.
Please do. I'm dealing with something similar but a lot less severe, it's just a few pops once a week. I also have some coils and cats on the way. I learned about these motors eating the cats and decided they're pretty cheap insurance since one might be the original. Kinda committing to another 30k at least so I'm using the shutdown to get ahead of everything. I'll be impressed if you solve this with your schedule!

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please do. I'm dealing with something similar but a lot less severe, it's just a few pops once a week. I also have some coils and cats on the way. I learned about these motors eating the cats and decided they're pretty cheap insurance since one might be the original. Kinda committing to another 30k at least so I'm using the shutdown to get ahead of everything. I'll be impressed if you solve this with your schedule!
Will do and we'll get through this together 😂. Thatll make 2 of us given I still gotta fit in my workouts and post 30+ things on ebay lol

·
Registered
2007 Xterra 6MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't need no stinking workout to loose weight anymore. Got some bad lettuce couple weeks ago and got a herd of cyclospora that I'm trying to evict.
Oh no, that sucks and yeah that would be a way to lose weight lol. But no I need to workout, I've worked too hard to just let it go

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Kinda off topic but on topic but I just changed spark plugs on my little Honda Civic and it took a whooping 10 minutes! Hell yeah! Can't say the same for the X, Oh how I miss those days. :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't need no stinking workout to loose weight anymore. Got some bad lettuce couple weeks ago and got a herd of cyclospora that I'm trying to evict.
That’s a really hateful insult over injury. Last time I got food poisoning it was from a good pizza, or maybe an unclean beer tap at the pizza joint. Either way I could be like “but it wuz delicious!”

1 - 20 of 46 Posts