Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. My 2012 S didn't come with the ignition switch light. I am guessing that the part is orderable from Nissan. My question is does anyone know if the accompanying harness is already under the dash?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
No key light on 11 xterra. Just another feature Nissan left out to save a few cents. "Nothing you want, whatever we give you"

So.. My 2012 S didn't come with the ignition switch light. I am guessing that the part is orderable from Nissan. My question is does anyone know if the accompanying harness is already under the dash?
Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the ring around the ignition switch. Anyone know off hand if the wiring harness might still be there?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I didn't realized they stopped adding that feature. I have it on my 05. What year did they stop?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Asked on the site before: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23707

Looks like they started removing them from lower trim levels around 2009.

Nuts has a write up on how to change the existing wring color, but I think you could follow that write up to change to one as well.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53024

*Keep in mind, Nissan started doing some weird things later in the Xterra life cycle. Like covering up the Utilatrack with plastic. It was still there, just covered. Or putting manual mirrors in (the harness and everything for power is still there in the door, you just buy power mirrors and add them.)

My gut tells me that either A) You can pop out the black plastic ring for a clear one and voila, there's theres the light or B) you'll be adding a bulb as well. Highly likely whatever harness, wiring, or circuitry required is all already there. Also very likely that a clear ring from just about any other nissan would work too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks klundquist and everyone else who posted.. I just didn't ant to purchase the clear ring and take the dash apart only to fine no wiring. In older years, I could just tap into a wire leading to another courtesy light.. I imagine it's not that simple now.
The other thing I've noticed is on my 06, the interior lights would slowly dim after the door was closed. My new one just shuts off. Not that's it's a big deal.. But was kinda cool.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Thanks klundquist and everyone else who posted.. I just didn't ant to purchase the clear ring and take the dash apart only to fine no wiring. In older years, I could just tap into a wire leading to another courtesy light.. I imagine it's not that simple now.
The other thing I've noticed is on my 06, the interior lights would slowly dim after the door was closed. My new one just shuts off. Not that's it's a big deal.. But was kinda cool.
Wondering if they switched to LEDs on the new ones, then?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd imagine the harness is going to be there on mine then. I'll find out when I tear it down!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts