Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I am trying to wire in a few different things into my xterra, I installed some yellow leds in the foot space and a VHF radio, I originally was going to try and find a wire that has ignition power to tie into but could not find anything, so I ran a wire straight to the batterey with a in line fuse. So my questions, I have a few, Where is a good place to splice into the original wiring that has igniton power, what are the fuses on the battery for and a little different question I want a mp3 jack to plug my phone into does the stock deck have a mp3 plug in in the back and how do you removed the deck from the dash. I know if I fiddle around with it long enough ill figure it out but im sure someone on here has tried to do this. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
1. Try one of the 12v outlets instead. One of them is on ignition power, I forget which.

2. The fuse prevents everything from burning out in the event of a power surge (it will melt before your wires do!). Since you're only running LEDs right off the battery, the fuse is essential! Otherwise it'll all go up in smoke. If you're talking about the fuse box inside the engine bay, I would recommend you search "IPDM" in the forum. Inside that box should also be a chart telling you which fuse powers what.

3. Certain trims have an input jack right under the passenger-side cigarette outlet. If yours doesn't, you may want to look into upgrading to an OEM Rockford Fosgate system (or if you're gonna spend the money, another radio that has a jack built in). Can you tell us more about what kind of Xterra you have?

As to removing the deck, it depends on what year your X is, but in general you will be disassembling the center part of the dash.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Great first post.

QUOTE=Wrenchbender81;1082953

Hello I am trying to wire in a few different things into my Xterra.
I installed some yellow LEDs in the foot space and a radio.
I originally was going to try and find a wire that has ignition power to tie into but could not find anything, so I ran a wire straight to the battery with a in line fuse.

So my questions, and I have a few,

Where is a good place to splice into the original wiring that has ignition power?

What are the fuses on the battery for?

....And a little different question, I want a mp3 jack to plug my phone into.
Does the stock deck have a mp3 plug in in the back and how do you removed the deck from the dash?

I know if I fiddle around with it long enough ill figure it out but I'm sure someone on here has tried to do this. Thanks guys./QUOTE

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on thanks for the info mate, I have a 08 and Im unsure oof the modle but I know its a s or se, Im going to go check to see if I have the jack there, Another thing i was thinking Im going to do is run a mega fuse straight off the battery and hook it into a junction block

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
If you have an SE, the jack should be there. Can't speak for the S.

Fuse block is best, keeps everything organized especially if you want to add more stuff. I did one recently. 4ga primary power to my fuse box (Blue Sea) located in driver side footwell, 100amp inline fuse at the battery itself, with a 4ga ground back to the battery. If you have an automatic transmission, there's a little grommet in the firewall about the size of a quarter where the clutch pedal for a manual is supposed to mount; if you drill a hole through it you can run at least one 4ga wire straight through into the cabin (and if not, you can run sub-wires in from a fuse box in the engine bay).

I have yet to re-wire my LED accessories but they're all going to relays and switches which will be run off a 15amp fuse in the fuse box. Do it right the first time, then you won't have to re-do it all like a chump (me).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha In that video he isnt overloading the curcuit he is short curcuiting the wire. Usually overloaded curcuits arent that quick to burn. None the less I realize you can't have enough fuses and need the correct gauge for the right power consumption. I ususally use all heavy duty commercial electrical parts, I find they take alot more abuse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you have an SE, the jack should be there. Can't speak for the S.

Fuse block is best, keeps everything organized especially if you want to add more stuff. I did one recently. 4ga primary power to my fuse box (Blue Sea) located in driver side footwell, 100amp inline fuse at the battery itself, with a 4ga ground back to the battery. If you have an automatic transmission, there's a little grommet in the firewall about the size of a quarter where the clutch pedal for a manual is supposed to mount; if you drill a hole through it you can run at least one 4ga wire straight through into the cabin (and if not, you can run sub-wires in from a fuse box in the engine bay).

I have yet to re-wire my LED accessories but they're all going to relays and switches which will be run off a 15amp fuse in the fuse box. Do it right the first time, then you won't have to re-do it all like a chump (me).
Thats what I wanted to do originaly but there is no fuse panel in my foot well or atleast I havent found it yet, and the one under the hood dosn't have vary many spare slots in the panel it's self, plus the fact I dont have nissan factory block terminals. Usually at work I just use a spare slot and labal the ledgend but I think If I run a 2Gauge wire from the battery with a 125AMP mega fuse to a junction block which I intend to install in the housing for the fuses under the hood. I could run all of my smaller electronics with inline fuses and lights with inline fuses and relays. If that gives me troubles then I think ill just get some heavy duty terminal crimps and splice into the cable itself

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
He is talking about an aftermarket fuse block. Lots of people install one of the blue sea fuse boxes for their accessories.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my bad, Never heard of that I guess that would work as well. I never though of an auxilary fuse block this is my first time owning a import designed vehicle, Im still kind of getting used to how they are built.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea all I have every owend is chevy's, ive always loved nissans and know they are a quality built machine but the engineering from one to the other is like black and white. To be honest I have been missing out there is alot more thought put in to how they're built which I love. Cant remember how many times I wanted to burn my chevy because of mindless engineering haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts