Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just replaced mine. The passenger side boot was split and hard as a rock. Likely due to its proximity to the muffler. The shock was blown and it jammed about three inches from full compression. Greg at PRG said likely due to shock boot retaining mud and gunk and ruining shock body seal.

Good man. He agent me a new set at his cost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Heard about the boots holding crud and moisture when I was ready to install my 5125s. Cut the boots of preinstall and the shocks still look great.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I have mine boot up ( body down), and my passenger side is blown/leaking. I've had them for 3 years. I really dont like these shocks anyhow... I might put on another set only becasue there isnt a lot of options out there in this price range. I'll try cutting the boots off though.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine were mounted boot up, body down, which according to many, many sources is the best way, though it also doesn't matter that much. I figured it was better because it keeps the shock body further away from the muffler....and it must get really hot there because that boot was rock hard like it partially melted.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Mine were mounted boot up, body down, which according to many, many sources is the best way, though it also doesn't matter that much. I figured it was better because it keeps the shock body further away from the muffler....and it must get really hot there because that boot was rock hard like it partially melted.

I heard it was no difference in which side was up since the shock is pressurized. Mine are body up. I figured the further away from the ground and rocks the body was, the better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I heard it was no difference in which side was up since the shock is pressurized. Mine are body up. I figured the further away from the ground and rocks the body was, the better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
mine are also body up. but i would think one would rather have a scratch or knick in the body than the shaft. (this applies to everything in life)

·
on line
750 Posts
I burned through 2 sets of bilsteins and a set of Skyjackers(skycrappers) before switching to Radflo's. Though I do drive it hard, the X seems to be pretty harsh on rear shocks.

·
on line
3,473 Posts
Just replaced mine. The passenger side boot was split and hard as a rock. Likely due to its proximity to the muffler. The shock was blown and it jammed about three inches from full compression. Greg at PRG said likely due to shock boot retaining mud and gunk and ruining shock body seal.

Good man. He agent me a new set at his cost.

How long did you have them? My passenger side looks blown. I am getting a weird noise at time during acceleration on that side as well. Boot is torn and I can see its leaking.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How long did you have them? My passenger side looks blown. I am getting a weird noise at time during acceleration on that side as well. Boot is torn and I can see its leaking.
I had them in ever since I bought Creek's old e-locker...at least 3 years now. I'm starting to see a pattern here...passenger side blown. I think the heat coming off the exhaust has a lot to do with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts