Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
on line
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I want to know what you guys (gals) would get vehicle wise, if the X was not available to purchase? The reason I ask, is that I just wonder what is the next best vehicle all around next to the X. Please don't base your responses solely off of Off-Road capability. I believe the X is a great utility vehicle all around. . so what would be the next choice or the next two choices?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Jeep Grand Cherokee. Most will say that it's a Jeep and that it sucks, but they are very versatile vehicles as well. The new models are also IFS, which for the offroad Jeep crowd was a big kick in the nuts, but it does make it handle better on road.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I bought the X for off-road. If I wanted a mall crawler I might have ended up wth a Honda Pilot. The only other four door I was concidering for off road was the FJ Cruiser but then I test drove one.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
I was thinking about getting a wrx-sti. I am still tempted to tell you the truth. Other then that it prolly would have been a cherokee.

·
on line
638 Posts
The only other vehicle I would consider would be a Jeep Liberty. They're more capable than they look and with some modification they really shine. The new models are a lot nicer, as well. They feel underpowered compared to the Xterra, but they definately get the job done with style and lots of features. I was considering one, but in the event I go with an SUV, it will be an Xterra.

·
on line
735 Posts
I wanted an SUV. The next best thing on road at the time (2004-2005) was the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's a unibody ifs and handles like a rear wheel drive car.

The X is kind of soft, but there isn't really anything else for low $20k price range to buy even now.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well that was 2 1/2 years ago, so I probably woulda got the Jeep RUBICON--

--Now, I'd get the HUMMER H3 alpha -so I could tow the new HUMMER HX with it!!!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good responses. . keep em comin! There is really no right answer. . just wondering what other vehicles the X driver had in mind at the time or now (if looking). . . .

·
on line
14,014 Posts
I would've maybe gone w/ the Jeep Commander, can't beat that 5.7L Hemi! Though the third row seating was really cramped, barely any leg room and your knees are in your faces, def made for kids or hauling midgets! The driving view was great in the Commander though, wide open and panoramic-like. And after Off-Road Adventures did that piece a while back on the Commander for a search-and-rescue team it looked REALLY sweet w/ the off-road modifications they did.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
I originally wanted an LR3 - still do. I bought an X because of price and I think the Xterra's design is "inspired" by Discos and LR3s. A "Pre-owned" LR3 with 25k was 30 thousand dollars. My X was 23k brand new and has more power than an LR3.

·
on line
13 Posts
to tell you the truth, we were looking at either a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, Liberty, or used Tahoe, but when we (my wife) saw the yellow X, that was it, there was no changing her mind.
we really liked the cherokee, the liberty was too small and the tahoe too big.

·
on line
129 Posts
Like almost everyone else I was looking at a jeep. started witht he liberty, then the cherokee, and even the commander. I also was looking at a Land rover freelander, and breifly considered a chevy trailblazer. that was definatly a weak moment. Of all of these, it came down to a 07 cherokee or the 05 X. I fell in love with the X. No regrets.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
TXterra37 said:
I would've maybe gone w/ the Jeep Commander, can't beat that 5.7L Hemi! Though the third row seating was really cramped, barely any leg room and your knees are in your faces, def made for kids or hauling midgets! The driving view was great in the Commander though, wide open and panoramic-like. And after Off-Road Adventures did that piece a while back on the Commander for a search-and-rescue team it looked REALLY sweet w/ the off-road modifications they did.
I almost waited until the Commander was released to look at it. When I bought the X, it hadn't been released yet.

After seeing it, it might be a bit big for my needs.

Honestly, if they wouldn't have quit making them, I always wanted a Jeep Cherokee. Yeah they are unibody, but they were one of the best all around vehicles in the 80's and 90's.

·
on line
131 Posts
Like tim13con, I considered (wishing more like it) the wrx-sti, or even just the wrx. The all-wheel-drive and flat out speed would be a hoot, even around here in the winter (well, maybe not the speed part). I see some guys out after a snowfall having a blast in theirs around the back roads here in Mid-Mich.
Realistically, I traded in my first X, a 2000 model, for an RSX-Si, and then got claustrophobic and upgraded to an Altima 3.5SE, and then when the New X came out, I couldn't resist. I guess the X is in our blood (we've had 5 btw my wife and I). I'll buy another Red Brawn XTerra when the time comes (if that color is still around).

·
on line
21 Posts
if there was no x, probably a explorer with a "ooohh jeeeeez" no ground clearence whine. maybe a pathfinder, maybe a used pathfinder of the previous generation. a 4runner, test drove a sr5, the 3rd generation i've tested, still the same, no head room, too protrusive of a console to my right leg and a nasty uncomfortable seat. my favorite if i did'nt have to sit in it. X i am.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts