Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know kneebuster was looking for something like this a few days ago and posted that $600 hitch swingaway thing but...
for $75 this isn't a bad option; especially if you have the shrock bumper without the tire carrier.
Since it doesn't swing away it would make opening the hatch impossible but would still be cool just to throw on for a day of wheelin' if you didn't need hatch access and didn't feel like crawling in the dirt for your spare.
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchan...re_Code=E&Product_Code=6715&Category_Code=FMH

·
on line
1,361 Posts
If you needed in your hatch, you could always just take it out of the receiver. It wouldn't be that hard at all, especially if you had an extra hand around.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lostboy said:
If you needed in your hatch, you could always just take it out of the receiver. It wouldn't be that hard at all, especially if you had an extra hand around.
definitely no prob with an extra pair of hands but doing it by yourself with the spare mounted on it would be a chore.

·
on line
589 Posts
Not that you couldn't take it off, but if you went off-road with this thing mounted on you would lose a decent amount of departure angle. The percentage loss would be the same between the shrock hitch and the normal hitch, but if this were in the normal hitch all of those times we have heard about people having their trailer harness ripped out would be replaced with this thing getting stuck or damaging the X somehow. Just playing the devil's advocate here.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Understood, but... the receiver is a good bit higher on the shrock bumper than where it is on a factory hitch so the departure angle would not be nearly as interrupted as with the factory hitch.

·
on line
589 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
Understood, but... the receiver is a good bit higher on the shrock bumper than where it is on a factory hitch so the departure angle would not be nearly as interrupted as with the factory hitch.
Very true, and you could always remove it temporarily if you are going over something that you think might be a risk.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
What does a stock tire and wheel weigh? This thing is only rated for 100#, and I think the 265 AT's are about 60#? I suppose the alloy wheels don't weigh much, though. I like the cheap alternative, but it would be hard to justify the loss of departure angle.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think MC weighted his 285/75R16 BFG AT's at 70 (some) lbs a when mounted.

100lbs wheel/tire combo would be REALLY heavy. :)

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Muzikman said:
I think MC weighted his 285/75R16 BFG AT's at 70 (some) lbs a when mounted.

100lbs wheel/tire combo would be REALLY heavy. :)
Yeah, I guess that would be a pretty heavy combo. Looks like the stock Rugged Trails weigh about 40#, the 265/75 BFG ATs weigh around 50#, and the 285/75 BFG ATs, 65# (according to Tire Rack). I'll have to throw my spare alloy wheel on the scale at home to settle my curiousity for how much a stock wheel weighs.

On a side note, I'm surprised to see that a 285/75 is over 50% heavier than stock. Really makes you wonder how durable those Rugged Trails really are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts