Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Bilstein shocks are generally the preferred shock for a mostly stock 4x4 xterra.
I would go so far as to say their our top choice.
However, this is not to say they are the only choice which should be considered.
The name recognition in itself brings a premium price that may not be optimal for everyone.

So, let's delve away from the buy Bilstein or wait till you can afford Bilsteins replies.

What brands would you recommend other than Bilstein?
To help the discussion, here are some known brands
Kyb
Fox
Koni
Monroe
Ohlins
Gabriel
Rancho
Procomp
Skyjacker
Ac delco
Bell tech

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
When I got my '06 the previous owner had installed KYB Gas-A-Just in the rear.

They seemed to do fine, but I upgraded to OME so I sold them. Not sure how their pricing compares to Bils.

In the Subaru world KYB is pretty highly regarded, and I have used them with good results on some of our Subarus.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^^^
Absolutely

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’ve used KYBs on sedans and Bilsteins on a GMC. Both were decent performing. Don’t know which would have lasted longer. Will put Bilsteins on my 08 X this spring. Based on my experience from the 70s, Monroe and Gabriel are junk you would put on a vehicle just to say you had shocks on a vehicle when you sold it.

In the hi performance car arena, Koni‘s are high on the lists.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I've been on sick leave with the flu, so I have time to dabble keeping myself occupied.

Price is always a consideration right? Who dont like saving some cash.
And yet the old saying "You get what you pay for" is also true.

Let's check the prices on some rear shocks from Rock Auto.
Bilstein 4600 .........$65
Bilstein 5100...........$80
KYB Gas-a-just........$47
KYB ExcelG..............$41
Rancho RS9000 ......$91
Gabriel .....................$28

Obviously, the spread in price is not that great between the lowest priced Gabriel and the KYB Excel G.

Likewise, the cost difference between the KYB ExcelG and the Gas-A-Just is negligible.

Ok , considering price, quality and value here are my choices
Drum Roll

Budget Price : KYB Gas-A-Just $47
Mid Price : Bilstein 4600 $65
Premium Price: Bilstein 5100 $80

Rancho has improved their offroad shock with the 9000 series, but I'm not confident the price warrants choosing it over the Bilstein 5100's

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was somewhat surprised the Rancho 5000 wasnt a recommended shock for our X.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
All I am seeing in this post is the bottom of the barrel line of shocks. Price checking off Rockauto? Where are the Bilstien 6112s? Original post was asking about Fox as well, do they even make anything? Ohlins are a high end unit as well, any links for those? Where is the good info, not the cheap stuff I can get at any parts store?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazon: Fox Shox 985-24-034 Performance Shock Rear Pair $292.63

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Rancho Quick Lift Coilovers on my 06. They are decent. Probably would buy again since they have held up well with the light trailing I do during hunting season mostly. My new 12 pro4x i just got obviously has the stock Blistens and it’s definitely the better ride of the two.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was curious about the Rancho quick lift.

Good to hear from someone with first hand experience.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The Bilstein 5100s are "better" than the 4600s that come stock, or so is my impression.

How the 5100s compare to the Rancho Quick Lift Coilovers? I have no idea. But the 5100s seem to do a good job.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have the Billstein 4600 up front. They replaced a really old set of 5100's - stock height spec. I honestly can't tell the difference but I did read somewhere (I think here) that the 4600's are actually valved stiffer.

Never tried them on my X but I had Gabriel on an F150 years ago and figured you might as well just not have shocks if thats what your going to use. YMMV.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No mention of Old Man Emu (ARB) ? I recently replaced my rear shocks with some OME Nitrochargers and am very impressed. Leaf pack and Front shocks/coil are getting installed once tax refunds hit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts