Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a big deal, just wondering if I'm alone in thinking about this or not.

So in the morning when I go and start the X, the R's start out about 1900 or so. I then wait for them to settle, and they do to about 1100 after a couple of moments. By that time I am impatient and typically leave. Then once the truck is warm the idle goes down to about 800, where I believe it should be.

From what I understand, most automobiles should idle around 800 RPM when properly warmed. I also understand that it is bad to drive the vehicle until it has warmed to the 800 area.

It seems to me (and my impatience) that the X takes a while to get to that RPM level. I normally have kids in the back or am on my way to work and don't feel like sitting, not moving for that long, so I've been driving off once it goes down to 1100 RPM.

Any thoughts from those of you who know more about motors than I do.

·
on line
3 Posts
HIgh start idle speed

Mine also starts up at nearly 2000 rpm when cold, with a second or less of valve lifter clatter. The dealer said normal, as usual. Do all 2007's start up so fast, I haven't seen this since the days of old chokes on cheveys. Any one else seen the fast cold start?

·
on line
139 Posts
My understanding is that pretty much all modern engines and ECUs are designed for cold starts and immediate departure. Idling a newer vehicle usually results in little more than wasted gas.

Some higher performance and specialized vehicles might have different needs, but most auto manufacturers make efforts to make this aspect of vehicle operation as convenient as possible.

If you have any doubts at all, refer to the manual -- any special rules you should know about should be provided there.

Unless it's super cold outside, just start it up and go!

D-Rock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts