Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have seen Calmini, AC's and PRG's attempts on a rear spring set up. I showed it to Warren Spring and they say if there is a demand, they can design a kit that is DIY bolt on get it right the 1st time for a 2.5 Rear lift.

Here is what you will get.

Two spanking new ADD a Leafs of proper size to look right on your X.
(this pack will be of the right length, not something off a VW Bus.)

Two new Center Bolts with spacers to allow for Shims.

Two New 3 Degree shims. (If they test out to be proper shim for a stock vehicle,

4 new properly bent super beefy U bolts with super beefy washers and nuts that protect the whole thread - All of it!

Instructions and a thread here with an MC step by step how to.

So, we are looking at the $200 plus shipping range, Remember, no need to buy shackles, no money wasted on trashing parts to add shims, no vibrations, just bolt on and works out of the box rear lift. You keep factory shackles, and Overload spring. It will ride nice, not bottom out and give you proper lift, all you will need is your own Front lift, Coil overs or spacers and a new set of 2" longer rear shocks to take advantage of the lift.

This is a market survey, if you might be interested answer up, If enough people say yea, I'm putting my X as the prototype and Warren Spring will work on it to get it all right, and form up the 1st totally complete bolt on kit for any DIY install with proper length Leafs, and shims included!

Anyone? Aprox $200 Plus shipping.

MC

·
on line
807 Posts
I see the problem with the AC AALs because they are single leaf, short AALs, but whats the beef with the deaver 3-leaf AALs that PRG sells?

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Hey MC, wouldn't I still need new break lines? and what rear shocks would you recommend? the ranchos?

·
on line
81 Posts
BGXterra said:
Hey MC, wouldn't I still need new break lines? and what rear shocks would you recommend? the ranchos?
I had the same questions as this. Otherwise I am very interested.

·
on line
853 Posts
GreyWolf said:
BGXterra said:
I had the same questions as this. Otherwise I am very interested.
About the brake line, I've been speaking with Greg at PRG and he tells me that extended brake lines are not necessary with the Deaver pack. He also says that longer shocks are not necessary either. Not sure I understand all the reasoning but he sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you just want a lift to want a lift, neither are needed. If you wheel and want as much flex in the rear as you can get, you want both.

The thing is, if you lift and leave the stock shocks, they become your limiting factor. Once you get longer shocks you then need extended brake lines so you don't rip them out.

·
on line
589 Posts
I think FrankB is right about brake lines and shocks not being needed with just the AAL, it was my understanding that you really should be putting them on when you have shackles AND AAL...not one or the other.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Even with just my shackles, the shocks were still my limiting factor with flex. So again, if you want as much flex as possible, you do need them.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes indeed people, the beauty of this set up is you retain all factory parts, shackles, Overload leaf, ABS line length, (May need MC ABS line extender MOD with the longer shocks option) And Brake line length should be fine but each vehicle should be checked as may differ.

We did it! Thanks Warren SPRING!

Well Thanks to MCampanna for financing the experiment!
Ok if you have followed along we liked the ride of the mini pack. And the no new shackle idea. So He bought them and was told no shims needed. Well, after we installed it, As you can see, Shims were needed.
It's kind of hard to tell in a pic but easy to tell in person. You want to look at the Black rubber part and how close it is to the top like it is kinked.
The angle the Rear has on the drive shaft.
Before:

Now AFTER notice the way the rear looks like it can shoot a bullet right into the drive shaft and how that black rubber parts has come down in line.

It's only 3 degrees but a good eye can pick it up. But more importantly a short test drive and 35 to 40 MPH NO more vibration! Yippeeeeee!
Man Thanks to Mike At Warren Spring he stuck with us to the end to fix our problem! That place is great!
Here is what it involved to fix, Now mind you had we had the shims to begin with, we would have saved a lot of money and labor! LOTS!

1st We had to realize this is not how it has to be, Vibrating! Come to the realization we just got suckered into installing a AAL with no shims. OK, So I run down to Warren Spring with my computer and pictures of what we ended up with. Warren Spring was sick, They felt bad we had to do it over but gave us good instruction on what to do and a deal on the parts.

To fix the problem you need New U bolts, New Center Pins, New Center Pin Spacers, and the Shims, 3 degrees was what he suggested. Away we went. Here is what a shim looks like, Not much but about $24 a set of 2.

Pictured here is a New center pin with two spacers on the top of the pin. Now, this pin goes down through the springs but if you are using a shim you need to add spacers to allow the head of the pin to fit into the hole in the bottom of the axle. (It has to seat into the hole in axle)

This center pin allows you to compress and align the pack as shown and you can see the shim on top ready to be jacked up into the hole on the axle. The fat Part turns the angle of the rear end down so it comes more on line with the drive shaft. This shim is adjustable, we used all 3 degrees on this install. That's what we needed. Notice the little bit the pin sticks up to seat into hole in axle? This is what the spacers do. (lift the pin)

OK in this picture, Shim is lined up Pin is in the hole on axle and all is ready to be put back together and tested for fit, Just snug it all and don't cut your center pin or U bolts yet! You want to snug, check, test drive and then cut or add more shim if needed, this will save your buying new parts AGAIN like we had to. Check, test drive then torque down.

This is the pin being test fit for the hole in the axle saddle. Just to give you an idea where it has to go.

We went out for a pretty good drive with the U bolts torqued down to 62 Lbs just to make sure we were good to go, Yippppeeeeeee! No vibration so back to the house, Torque the U bolts down to 90 lbs and Cut off all the bolts and re test!

Yipppeeeee! Perfect install now! Smooth as silk, MCampanna will chime in soon, he did a 50 mile test drive home and called in a OK! Most of his trip was in the old vibration zone!

So, If there is enough interest in the Idiot Proof Warren Spring pack Mike will do mine up. Make the springs custom fit to look like the belong there, put the right arch on them for about 2.5 in lift, We will get all the specs and parts list and be ready to ship em out pretty much same day, They do CC orders and have all the parts on hand. Everything will be custom made for the Xterra these are top quality parts, no cheap stuff made fresh from stock right at Warren Spring.

And I bet if you have one of the other spring mistakes, you can fix it with these instructions and parts from Warren Spring. Post here what you might want, if it's a go we will let ya know.

Now, I been up over 32 hours no sleep, I could not rest until Mcampanna had a no vibration situation, even though I did not sell him the springs, I stuck it out until it was right.

No matter who says what if you lift, a shim is a good idea! You are changing the angle you need a shim!

MC

·
on line
32 Posts
Thanks for all your help MC. I am like many others who are learning as they go. I also have the deavers and the vibrations that are "not supposed" to be there. I have ordered shims thanks to this site but don't think that the center pin and spacers are included.

What is the total cost on the fix you just did? I might as well order fom your contact if they have everything needed in stock. Itll take just as long as ordering locally. Give me any contact info you might have. Thanks again.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Warren Spring co comes up on a google. But don't e mail em, Bob, the owner just died on Monday and I think that e mail is his. He left his wife and all she has is the business for money right now.

I guess you can call and tell Mike you need the same parts MCampana and Turtle needed. You will need new center pins and spacers as shown or it won't go right or be safe. But........... What do I know? You can see that by the pictures. We did it, and it worked, it was easy. And it's a crime that they don't include the shims in the kit for that price.

No real spring man will suggest the calmini kit, that is kinda lame not using the center pin, you can get a kit like calmini sells off the shelf at autozone for like $40. I call that a helper spring.

Anyways, here ya go,
Warren Spring Co., LLC
2310 W. Market St.
Warren, OH 44485

(330) 392-7096
Hours: Open Weekdays 8am-4:30pm
Payment Accepted: Cash, Check, MasterCard, Visa
Description: Suspension sales & service on cars, trucks, vans, motor homes,buses & trailers,semis. We carry a full line of leaf & coil springs, u bolts, nuts, washers, etc. King pins & re bushing. Free estimates!
Email: [email protected] (Hold off on this, call mike)
Provided by the business owner

Specialties: Leaves,Springs,Coils,Heavy Duty Suspension Rebushing,Tractors
More from SuperPages.com »

And if he don't want to ship the parts to you, you pay him and I will pick em up and ship em to you today, But from now on I am out of freebies, Cost is $5.00 Priority US mail. I'll stop and see him today.

MC

·
on line
1,479 Posts
sweet.. I want one!!! specially since it has the MC seal of approval! :cheers:
I guess I gotta grow another money tree this month!

Good job on the find MC

·
on line
81 Posts
will probably call them today or tomorrow. Anything specific we should ask for to get the entire package?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
I hope none of this thread comes off as "bad-mouthing" PRG to people newer to the site because he does a lot and is a great resource to the Xterra communtiy.
He'll go out of his way to share info and talk to anyone and help to resolve issues regarding suspension for our trucks. His life doesn't revolve around the Xterra but he is a great vendor and willing to help out.

And thanks to MC and Mark for their effort with this project.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts