Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2010 Xterra I recently bought came with a Garmin mounted in a compartment on the center of the dash. I removed it and the lid. I’m looking for ideas how to use the space. Appreciate anything you have to offer!
16A382DE-F92B-4AA4-B224-319E7FE6F067.jpeg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I hope you didn't throw it away. Those housings are somewhat sought after because there's not a lot of them out there. Some have modified them to put a more modern GPS or phone into. Post it up on the for sale classifieds here and you'll definitely be able to sell it.

As to what to put there, just the tray that normally goes there is pretty handy. You could also put some kind of RAM ball to mount a phone, tablet, etc there. Perhaps a Scangauge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you didn't throw it away. Those housings are somewhat sought after because there's not a lot of them out there. Some have modified them to put a more modern GPS or phone into. Post it up on the for sale classifieds here and you'll definitely be able to sell it.

As to what to put there, just the tray that normally goes there is pretty handy. You could also put some kind of RAM ball to mount a phone, tablet, etc there. Perhaps a Scangauge.
I still have all the parts. I’ll do that soon. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
779 Posts
+1 on the tray. Instead of the ram mount you can go with a bicycle accessory bar and phone mounts. Accessory bars are $15 and mounts are $10. You’ll need to modify the brackets by trimming them.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,043 Posts
Interested in the Garmin setup. PM sent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last Christmas, I installed an Atoto android head unit and I love it...Since it's a 7" screen and has all the apps I can possibly want for navigation, I've thought about getting rid of MY Garmin nav unit as well.

I build a LOT of stuff. One of the things I'm currently investigating is if it's possible without a LOT of dashboard reconstruction is moving the ENTIRE head unit up about 6 inches so everything is easier to see and use...I'm hoping it will give me enough space underneath to mount a high wattage HAM comm mobile unit.

I'm not sure it's really possible without borking the air conditioner and other wiring...

We'll see what happens...A project for a day sometime soon.. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts