Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=25293&category_id=342

Don't say I can't have them! :) I will try anything to get them to work. I just got a 3" BL that will be installed this week.

I am going to do the Calmini 5" lift (using the diff drop bracket) with Radflows and TC UCAs (ala Eddo Sexterra)

I will forgo any AALs and just have some custom Alcans done for the rear. The rear I'm not worried about so much.

After that do you think that they will work ? I know 38s won't stuff but I plan on using bumpstops. Remember also the tread width is only 9". Yeah I like tall thin tires.

Thanks for all your constructive opinions.

·
on line
245 Posts
When are you going to be buying all of the new components? I want to see the Sexterra lift with an added 3 inch body lift...

·
on line
245 Posts
Kahuna said:
cHurt said:
When are you going to be buying all of the new components? I want to see the Sexterra lift with an added 3 inch body lift...
I have an email in to Greg at PRG, that's my first step.
Cool. Keep us updated!

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Sounds like an interesting build.

May I suggest that if you're going to use the 5" Calmini lift that you go ahead and do an SOA. It will complement the front lift perfectly and you can re-use your stock leafs: http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7098

I don't want to dissuade you from doing the body lift but a 3" body lift WITH a 5" suspension lift may jeopardize off road stability while being off camber. I know you want the body lift in order to tuck in those 38" but remember that is a tremendous amount of rotational mass on your stock front differential. Here's what I did to a 4340 Chrome Moly D44 stub end while on 37's:

If you like the "willy" tire look (I do), I'd recommend the 34" Narrow Super Swamper (SAM-21): http://www.intercotire.com/site32.php

It's a light 34" tire that will provide you better traction than the military tire and it will behave much better on the road and it will fit on your stock rims.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I agree with 8th Man... 38's on stock diffs is asking for trouble. I think 35's are pushing it, but guys are doing it. 38's certainly warrant a SAS, though. And why the choice of tire? I know you are a fan of the older military-esk look, rebuilt Rovers and such (nothing wrong with any of that... I love the old Rovers too), but that tire honestly doesn't look like it would be good at much. Bet you'd never have to worry about tearing a sidewall, though!

Don't mean to rain on your parade. I just think all the money you will spend on putting the lift you described together could at the very least put a big chunk of change down towards a SAS, if not pay for the whole thing (especially if you were ambitious enough to tackle the job yourself).

·
on line
358 Posts
I'm guessing you have read this if not you should. It looks like a big fitment problem is the back wheelwell. The front of the tire and the back door. I guess you could move the rear axle back and trim the bumper.

Also sounds like you'll start to break alot of drivetrain parts. You will have a big loss of power.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Good lord.

Even with a 3" body lift, I'd bet you'll need to do some serious metal trimming in the front, and you'd have to extend your rear bump stops to a point where you wouldn't be getting much upward flex. Even diff issues aside, I think if you did this you'd be turning it into just a crazy looking street truck. Judging by your avatar, maybe that's not what you want.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: More good news--

--Your entire steering sys, not including front diff.--

--Will not survive the first curb, or rock, sidewall impression !!!!

--But, what the hey--it's your truck !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
369 Posts
You will want to do some precise measurements of the front wheel well before undertaking this. Even with a 5" SL + 3" BL I'm not sure that 39's on the front will be able to turn lock to lock with any appreciable amount of suspension compression. If it does work, you will HAVE to regear. Badass idea though. If you decide to take the plunge keep us updated.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK , well this is the reason I post my ideas. I appreciate the great feedback.

I could prolly run the 34s that 8th man suggested w/o the 5" Calmini lift and just do the radflows/tc ucas. That would make things easier and less costly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts