Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting dizzy trying to use the search button on this site and the frontier site and I'm still a bit fuzzy on this.
I like the stock Titan rims... almost all the 18" ones are perty... and I'm NEVER going to off-road my 2wd xterra.
Is there a way to swap over titan stuff... hubs, rear half shafts, brakes, rotors easily?
I have the 2wd 6 speed... which is the M225 or M226... forget which one they say... and it's the easiest one... again... from what I've kinda read.

Any help here would be awesome. thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And don't say... get a 2004 or older... I LOVE the VQ40 engine and not willing to trade that.
Also thinking of using some rims I got from my Hardbody too... which is also a 6x5.5. got some Nismo Rays which might look spiffy

·
Registered
810 Posts
You should just search for How to Titan Swap my Xterra. Or look in the sticky for it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at those, but aren't those for UCA, LCA and to gain a couple inches in height? I'm not looking for that... just a good ol' swap-a-roo.
But... I'll search for those terms and see what pops up!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there's a local junkyard that i've dealt with in the past and they got an '04 Titan in great shape. might have to price some stuff out.

·
on line
2,244 Posts
Break out your drill. Actually the best would be to have a machine shop redrill the axles and rotors. I think there is enough meat on the rear flange to pull this off. If not get some Titan shafts and see of they can be shortened. May need new custom shafts.

Now for the front. I am pretty sure the hubs don't have enough meat on them to drill a bigger bolt pattern. But you can't bolt Titan hubs onto Xterra knuckles, the bolt pattern is different. You will need Titan knuckles as well. Now I get fuzzy on if all the geometry is still correct running a set of Titan knuckles on Xterra control arms. And of course Titan brakes as well.

So you are going to need a big chunk of cash and a bunch of parts as well. Figure being without the truck for at least a few weeks as the work is being done.

How bad do your really want to use those wheels?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
So you are going to need a big chunk of cash and a bunch of parts as well.

How bad do your really want to use those wheels?
^^What he said..

Have you looked into having a set of wheels custom drilled? I was in the same situation you're facing but for doing it right with all of the Titan parts I was facing upwards of $5k if not more just to get the 6x5.5 bolt pattern.

I ended up just having the wheels that I wanted custom drilled and called it good. Might be something to consider... :confused:

Edit: Just noticed you wanted the stock Titan wheels, the custom drilling might be a little hard to have done on those... so disregard everything that I just said haha

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe spacers it is then. are 1.25 to 1.50 inches as thin as they get? want them stay tucked in somewhat. they don't gotta be that fancy aluminum stuff either

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some Hardbody's had 14's and some had 15's depending on 2/4wd or 4/6 cylinder. I got two sets of rims already (16" Centerlines and 16" Nismo Rays Volks too) and they should both clear. But the 6 spoke 18" Titans from the OR package is stunning

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
no cheap way to do it, easiest way i can think of would be to swap titan knuckles on the front, along with the brakes. rear is a different story because the titan is 6 inches wider, you cant just swap out the axles. also since the titan wheels are wider than xterra wheels, they will stick out more than the stock wheels because they have the same backspacing from what ive read.

·
Registered
698 Posts
DO NOT cheap out on the rear adapters. Get good ones that are hub/wheel centric. That's BY FAR the easisest way to deal with the backend.

For the front, Titan spindles, hubs and brakes. Can do it with mostly new/reman parts (minus wheels) for under a grand. Couple hundred for JY spindles, $680ish for all new brake parts and a hundred or so for used adapters.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
DO NOT cheap out on the rear adapters. Get good ones that are hub/wheel centric. That's BY FAR the easisest way to deal with the backend.

For the front, Titan spindles, hubs and brakes. Can do it with mostly new/reman parts (minus wheels) for under a grand. Couple hundred for JY spindles, $680ish for all new brake parts and a hundred or so for used adapters.
Doing it that way will have a wider track width in the rear than the front.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes exactly, i was looking into doing this also.. but the price of everything over weighed what budget i was shooting for. Now i trimmed my front bumper on the bottom and the bottom inner part of my fenders a bit, cause with the adapters it really puts the tire out there.... but also the bigger titan brakes are gonna be nice upgrade. The stock xterra brakes royaly suck... .... oh also if you are gonna do it, do it with new hubs and brakes. Dont skimp out on ur safety, spindles are just a piece of metal.. get them from the junk yard, just make sure their straight...

And the rears are fine stock... and thats with the adapters with 18" titan wheels and 275/65/18 tire.... shouldnt rub at all, there seems to be enough space at full drop of the suspension... youll hit the bump stops before the fender... this is only from measureing..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
698 Posts
Doing it that way will have a wider track width in the rear than the front.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ah damn you're right. I totally spaced that he doesn't want the suspension.

Well, you could order brand new adapters from here: BORA

They claim to be able to make adapters down to 0.75". The rear track is narrower than the front anyway by a little bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts